E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Angel Eye Kit! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically my HID Angel Eye Kit from John and have been running into a lot of trouble with it. I heard so many success stories with this kit and do not know what is going on with mine.

Called John a couple times and he said he didnt know what was going on and for me to send pics, so I did and am waiting for a response. I also bumped into a respectible member/friend on the forums today and he thinks it has something to do with the dimming effect.

So the shop finally installed the kit and here are the problems I am experiencing. By the way the shop checked and rechecked the grounds and the wiring to the lights, and everything looks fine!

1) When I unlock my car the PASSENGER Angel Eye flickers constantly
2) Angels only work when they are on 0 mode and Angel Eye Mode
3) Passenger Angel Eye turns off when I turn headligts on
4) Can use fogs and angels but PASSENGER Angel Eye turns off when I turn headlights on

Someone please help me with this, the last thing I want to do is take these off. I spent over 8 hours in labor today at a local shop. I have invested too much money in this mod to just give up. THANKS GUYS
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 500i

Jashy, Im going to install mine this sunday I will report back to you and let you know if my kit does the same. Hopefully its just as simple as a defective kit or ballast, which im sure could be swapped out. I will keep you updated.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for your post and good luck!!

Are you doing it yourself?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Alpine White Options: Nav, Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Black Dakota Leather, Folding Rear Seat Mods: Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan High Flow Intake System, Dinan High Flow Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Front Strut Tower Brace, HID 8000k Fogs, LED Super White Side Markers Coming Soon: HID 8000k Angel Eyes and Lowbeams

I have had similar issues. My passenger side HID Angel Eye was flickering every now and then. I have been in touch with John regarding this, he suggested that I reground to a chassis bolt to fix. I finally got around to doing this, and when I did, I lost lighting to the passenger side completely, and an error message started popping up ("right daytime running light"). On the phone with John, he told me to inspect the relay and capacitor - upon disassembly I discovered some corrosion in the relay socket. I ordered a new relay and capacitor wiring set from John (along with a new Black Box) and went to install (last week). After installing new set, I have the same problem - no light (from angel eye) and error message.

I am also wondering: any other members might have any ideas as to what might be wrong?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Yes John told me to do the same thing and I have no clue what is going on. I grounded and regrounded it to the chassis. Nothing is helping and is still going off when i turn on my headlights or unlock my car (LCI has Angel welcome lights)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Try swapping the ballast with the other side. or It maybe due to a bad ground I had trouble finding a good ground as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Are you guys using the particular hexagon "chasis nut" to ground? Any other place under the hood of e60 chasis is nearly impossible to get a good ground. Your best bet is to switch ballast and see if the problem is only unique to the passenger side. Sounds like one side is not getting enought power to turn on. It could be the harness ....certain harness will cause problems because it doesn't have thick enought wire to support the initial power current rush. Usually in that case, one side will completely not turn on. Or when it does turn on--it turns on normally instead of the flickering on and off.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

lets hope there is no problem...at the end...because ...i just have to do a lci conversion and i dont want to have this problems...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 500i

Originally Posted by jashy247
Thank you! I will keep an eye out for your post and good luck!!

Are you doing it yourself?
Yeah, it's pretty simple just time consumeing. I figure a good 1 1/2 hour I should have it knocked out. But now im scared i will have the same issues as you two guys I guess we will find out sunday, The kit seems pretty well tested, hopefully its just an fault wire or resistor which went bad.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RootKit
Are you guys using the particular hexagon "chasis nut" to ground? Any other place under the hood of e60 chasis is nearly impossible to get a good ground. Your best bet is to switch ballast and see if the problem is only unique to the passenger side. Sounds like one side is not getting enought power to turn on. It could be the harness ....certain harness will cause problems because it doesn't have thick enought wire to support the initial power current rush. Usually in that case, one side will completely not turn on. Or when it does turn on--it turns on normally instead of the flickering on and off.

Well if the ground was the issue it wouldnt work at all right?

Mine works as normal daytime running lights but doesnt work when i turn the headlights on nor will it work when i push the unlock feature.

Ill try to find that hexagon ground you are talking about, thanks for the advice!
I have a friend of mine on the forum who is willing to help me out with the problem on Sat. Will let you guys know!

Quick Reply: HID Angel Eye Kit! HELP!