E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP!!! PLEASE!!! Running USB cable from Proce

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, sport, prem

gmakishima,

No worries... I can't say I like the Procede V4....... I have to say I absolutely love it. Difficult for me to put into words, it almost brings a tear to my eye :')

Throttle response: Running Map 1, (I haven't spent much time with map2), I don't detect a huge throttle response improvement, but possibly there with the DS mode. I will update again after my next drive, noticing throttle in DS mode. But the throttle response while manually shifting through seems awesome. I had a sprintbooster on my SLK230, and it was soooooo sweet.

But that's a good segueway into the other real reason I love procede so much, is that it grows, improves, and is supported. You don't just buy a one-time tune, but something that grows to improve your ride, and Shiv actually listens to you.

Thanks for asking about this, I'd love if we could form up a group of Procede'd 535'ers, to support each other with the issues that arise from driving a 535 hard. After one day of autocross (before the tune), I've learned that I have to figure out either what's wrong with my car to cause overheating or boost leak (will known soon after I datalog in the next few days), and I think we could all help each other out. The 335/135 community is huge, but there's noticably less DIy's for 535 going up.

Anyways--I think with latest procede FW update, there is improvement to throttle response, so that boost delivered is more linear over the throttle travel, rather than a whole bunch at the end. I think that will improve throttle response, or perception of.

Besides USB through firewall... (I've decided just to tuck it under the weather gromet, under the passenger side hood strut), the install was easy. there IS a 535i DIY video for V1 procede... which is good for showing you how to get at the ECU box. that part is simple, and I have down to a 5 minute jaunt now.

Wiring it up was ... pretty easy. I had a bit of noob trouble working with the slider-clips on the 2 harness connectors into the ECU.

ONE NOTE: Once you get to this point in the 535 install video... you want to switch back over to the 335 video. You don't need to remove the clip from the harness itself, (I believe...) I did, but just wasted time. Once the harness is off, you should be able to slide out the old bus clips and in the new ones. It's all very straight-forward. Only hiccup was the power line.

You have to pull up the entire GREEN square connector which is connecting the ORANGE power lines. you have to tap the procede power into the BOTTOM of the GREEN connector, not the top. I tried at the top at first, and it was just confusing. But on the 535, there is VERY LITTLE slack at the bottom of the connector, so you have to pull up slowly, and gently, and get it up just enough to be able to manipulate the connector... (i.e. open the trap door, depress the triangular tab, insert the procede power line).

Now a few comments after installing.....
I've got one code thrown (I think I have FW 28...) that I haven't yet been able to scan with Procede SW. ODB-II reader says P0503, which is some bad data received by the speed-detection module or something... But I understand that with our car you can't just take the ODB-II code, you have to read it with the Procede SW to know. But it seems to make sense... the code doesn't get thrown all the time, only a few times when I'm under WOT. not a big deal... can just clear it and go on... but I'll get to the bottom of it know I've got USB run, ready to connect.

Power gain... is so awesome... butt/'throw-you-into-the-back-of-the-seat' dyno is very impressive!

I've noticed that the Cruise-control acceleration is jerky now... not that i care but I need to tell Shiv, so he's aware... could be a Procede thing, or just a 535 thing, not sure.

Gauge remapping is SO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is another thing that makes me love this product, and Vishnu. as you know, with a 535 we're stuck with a retarded MPG gauge, and absolutely NO oil-temp gauge? WTF!?!?!?!?????? Ultimate Driving MAchine that is so ultimate it doesn't need to concern you with oil temp... unless... of course... you are auto-crossing until limp-mode and the turbos shut down.

SO... I talk to Shiv about this, he said that it woudl be easy to provdie another gauge cluster option mapping oil-temp to the mpg gauge, as is done on 135/335.

Also, mapping boost to Fuel is fine, you still get a warning when fuel is low and the gauage swap is super easy and fast. Just double click the hazard light to cycle through modes. Or use the newly introduced Command Center interface, all via Cruise-control stalk.

The expandability of this product is endless! I'm a SW engineer myself, so it makes me giggly thinking about it.

I have another issue with my car, for some reason, after market angel-eye bulbs through malfunction code. The resistance must be too high comared to the stock incadescent bulbs, so ECU always thinks they are out, unless they are on along with the headlights. My goal is to supress these particular warnings through Procede... at some point. See if Vishnu will let me play a bit

Sorry for the lengthy response... these are my observations so far. but yeah, absolutely LOVE the tuner. what a beast, miles of smiles every drive.

And ... still.... please... if any 535'ers have figured out the firewall bypass... please SHARE! After researching wireless options, seems like serial->wifi is possible, but pricey, or one make (parani is it?) of serial->bluetooth works, if you buy two of them one for each side. So $200+ for wireless Procede.

Maybe Vishnu will release a version supporting bluetooth, with iPHone and Android apps some day... we can dream, eh?

Originally Posted by gmakishima
pdubq,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but how do you like your Procede V4? Does it improve throttle response, or do you think you'd still want to add a Sprint Booster?

Is the install pretty simple (besides routing the USB through the firewall)? I've only seen install vids covering 335's and 135's so is it pretty much the same? Did you run into any "gotchas" where the 335 install vid differed from the 535 actual install? Also, have you tested out the new boost gauge and AFR gauges in V4? I'm not too keen on having the boost gauge replace my fuel level indicator, but it'd be nice to have the boost gauge replace the MPG gauge since I don't use the MPG gauge at all.

Thanks!
G
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks pdubq. This is very helpful.... you've made me a believer in Procede. I think I'll definitely be making the plunge soon!