E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help please in M5 mirror retrofit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys!

I want to upgrade to M5 mirrors but i also want to have the electric fold in function which i currently don't have. A friend of mine told me there is the retrofit kit on realoem. com but i can't find it.

Please help me!!! Do you know if there is such a kit or if it's even retrofitable WITH the fold in function?

I already know i have to get all three wires conected and in present i only have 2 (electric adjusting and heating). So i't clear i would have to get the 3rd one wired. Right?

Thanx!!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why this thread is here. It should be in Parts and Mods section, shouldn't it?
I don't know if such kit exist, but here are what you need to do:
1. Buy M5 mirrors with all function you need: electric adjusting, heating, electrochromatic, and folding.
2. Buy new window switch cluster with folding function button
3. Install it
4. Go to dealer ask them to get you new vehicle order (someone on forum gave me this clue) which includes M5 mirrors functions and program your car.

I have not successfully done my car because I'm too lazy to bring my car to dealer. But I'll bring it in next week to give it a try.
For part numbers, search for individual part number of realoem.com. Not for the kit.

Good luck.
Fred
Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='400773' date='Mar 9 2007, 10:27 PM
I don't know why this thread is here. It should be in Parts and Mods section, shouldn't it?
I don't know if such kit exist, but here are what you need to do:
1. Buy M5 mirrors with all function you need: electric adjusting, heating, electrochromatic, and folding.
2. Buy new window switch cluster with folding function button
3. Install it
4. Go to dealer ask them to get you new vehicle order (someone on forum gave me this clue) which includes M5 mirrors functions and program your car.

I have not successfully done my car because I'm too lazy to bring my car to dealer. But I'll bring it in next week to give it a try.
For part numbers, search for individual part number of realoem.com. Not for the kit.

Good luck.
Fred
Yup sorry...mods will take care of the movement. My bad!

1,2,3 i get it but no 4 i don't get it. New vehicule order? You mean the software to program the idrive?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Vehicle order is just like a human gene.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='400884' date='Mar 10 2007, 02:03 AM
Vehicle order is just like a human gene.
Yeah and...?!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Your car never had the folding mirror "gene" - it's not only a matter of installing the hardware and a software update. The software update has to recognize that the folding option is a valid addition to your car's options and this is done by means of a new vehicle order. After that, the VIN of your car should include this new option as being valid.

Something like that....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='400891' date='Mar 10 2007, 02:20 AM
Your car never had the folding mirror "gene" - it's not only a matter of installing the hardware and a software update. The software update has to recognize that the folding option is a valid addition to your car's options and this is done by means of a new vehicle order. After that, the VIN of your car should include this new option as being valid.

Something like that....
Ahaaaa now i get it.Thanx. Will try to explain it to the dealer Monday next thing...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Thanks for making the language clear, Andy!
I have to do that too on Tuesday Hopefullly the cost is not too much.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Fred,
Would you please keep us update with the results when you take the car to the dealer.
One clarification; Is the new vehicle order needed for folding the mirrors using the door panel switch or for folding the mirrors automatically when you lock the car (aka M5)?
Thanks
Pete
Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Members

I's also be interested, let us know how this materializes. I have been thinking about adding m5 mirrors, but looking specifically for full auto-fold function...

Quick Reply: Help please in M5 mirror retrofit.