E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP!! JB+ Service warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 535i
Default HELP!! JB+ Service warranty void

Hey everyone,

I had routine maintenance done at Santa Monica BMW last week on my '09 535. The day after, my engine misfired and I got the check engine light, notifying me of engine malfunction and reduced power. BMW towed my car in and replaced my HPFP. I picked it up and drove it home fine.

Next day, cold start, it happened again! A couple of hours after I bringing it back for the third time, they told me they could no longer work on the car because they detected an aftermarket tuner and suggested I to take it out and bring it to an aftermarket mechanic, and wrote it on the report. They returned to me with the check engine light still lit. I asked the rep if he "flagged" my account, and he said it was definitely flagged at Santa Monica at the least, and he would hesitate before helping me again with any power train problems. I asked if I could service it at another dealer and he said BMW corporate would probably decide that, but said in most cases, they usually don't really care.

I took out the JB+ and the misfiring and check engine light disappeared for the past two days, so I thought the problem solved itself. But I started the car this morning and its misfired and the engine light is back. I don't really know if I should bring it to another dealer immediately because they might bring up my most recent records. For some strange reason, I didn't ever think to take out my JB+ because I've been driving it and servicing the car without any problems. Literally forgot it was installed. My 4 year warranty is over in March 2013, but I have 6 year extended so I hope it's still good. Sorry for ranting. Do any of you have any advice or experience with this? Will I be fine bringing it in to South Bay BMW or should I get it fixed somewhere else and have codes cleared?

Last edited by gwizzzzz; 01-28-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

correct me if I'm worng here, but once your VIN is flagged any dealer would be able to pull up the info and deny ant warranty work.

have you tried getting the codes cleared also? Even if you decide to bring it to another dealership you would want to clear the codes with some sort of scanner first.

you might want to contact Terry from burger tuning located in so cal...I'm sure they could suggest some mod friendly dealerships/SA's.

first thing's first tho clear the codes and/or invest in a scanner/deleting tool if you plan on running your jb+ and somehow get your VIN unflagged..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Members

Thank you. I will contact Terry. I guess that's another question that I have: is it possible to get myself "unflagged" somehow? If I got my codes cleared, and one dealer accepts my warranty, does that mean I am off the blacklist? Please share any of your experiences.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by gwizzzzz
Thank you. I will contact Terry. I guess that's another question that I have: is it possible to get myself "unflagged" somehow? If I got my codes cleared, and one dealer accepts my warranty, does that mean I am off the blacklist? Please share any of your experiences.
another good question for terry...

another good resource would be n54tech.com

try searching and posting over there as well...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Members

will do. BTW, here is a picture of my rejected service form.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I would take it to another BMW dealer, sounds like the one you used s a prick! I had a similar problem with my jb4. Ce light n with stumbling. Figured it was the HPFP. Took car to dealer and they called the next day saying they couldn't read obd because I had software in ebox. I was freaking. Said it had to come out before they could work on car. Went dwn and turned it off but forgt to save so it was still on. Waited and they still couldn't read so I paid like 150 and left. Took out software went to another dealer and they made no mention of anything. Problem turned out to be the low pres sensor. The following year same thing but this time I read all codes first and turned off jb4 they replaced fuel pump no questions. I've heard they can't cut your warranty unless they can prove the software actually caused the damage. If you get blacklisted maybe call NA and. Lawyer.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Members

tonyb635, do you recall if they made a note of it on your release form or if they actually tell you warranty was void? seems that your dealer was pretty reasonable if they were willing to work on it after they knew sfotware was in the ebox. also, when you brought it to the other dealer, was your check engine light still on and engine stumbling? what did you pay $150 for the original dealer to do?

Last edited by gwizzzzz; 01-28-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 AW M5

I had the same problem and I took it to the BMW and they replaced 3 fuel injectors
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The first time the JB4 was still in MAPP1 which I forgot! This is why they couldn't read the OBD. THey opened the Ebox and noticed the software and then took pictures. They SA called and told me about this and said it has to come out before they can work on it. I went down there and turned it off but forgot to save so that save. Mean while they tried again. I called it quits after the second time because I thought it was off. When I was driving home I realized that it wasn't. The dealer took pictures of it and had them in the work folder but no other mention of it. It does take a little while for this stuff to sinc up so I would hurry to another dealer. They cost was from their time they worked on it... THe car was just actually out of warranty, but the HPFP is still in warranty, which I thought was the problem. When I took the car to another dealer, they ran the codes and made the repair and charged me because the part was not under the recall. The following six month the HPFP failed and I turned off the JB4 and took it back to the first dealer. They checked codes and replaced the pump no questions.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
New Members

When I was buying my car I asked the dealer for the entire service history and they told me they could only provide history on any work done at that dealership. That tells me that they cannot see service history at any other dealer.

Quick Reply: HELP!! JB+ Service warranty void