E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated steering retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Ok guys, I have the SMG heated steering and the 'FA code' by BMW at the dealership, so my car must be ready for the reprogramming.

They never done it before and they don't know if I need some wirings and - if yes - BMW sells them as spare parts.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

alex, i thought i was mad...but your the retro fit king...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='741359' date='Dec 9 2008, 06:26 PM
alex, i thought i was mad...but your the retro fit king...
No, I cannot be the king: I have almost everything from factory

Simply I forgot to order the heated feature and on mountains the steering is untouchable for 10 minutes.

I'm wondering *when* my530i will decide to give me a suggestion (he has to know, since he's the wizard of steerings). Plus I am not the only one needing to retrofit the heated steering.

Above all, I think that if BMW gave my dealer the little firmware to reprogram the car with the option activated the retrofit must be doable.
Dealers are ignorant!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='741458' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:19 AM
No, I cannot be the king: I have almost everything from factory

Simply I forgot to order the heated feature and on mountains the steering is untouchable for 10 minutes.

I'm wondering *when* my530i will decide to give me a suggestion (he has to know, since he's the wizard of steerings). Plus I am not the only one needing to retrofit the heated steering.

Above all, I think that if BMW gave my dealer the little firmware to reprogram the car with the option activated the retrofit must be doable.
Dealers are ignorant!
wow alex! how many retrofits are you doing at once?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributors

you can forget about my530i.. he sells the stuff and giving out any info would basically tell people how to do everything themselves. I had a couple questions when doing my paddleshift retrofit and got 0 answers besides buy my kit. Anyway, I figured out how to do the paddleshift retrofit myself so it's not that hard if you're willing to put in a little time.

Anyway.. back to your dilemma. What exactly are you trying to do? you didn't have heated steering and now want to add it? I can help out with the wiring. I went through all the wiring and know what every wire in the steering wheel does
Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='742418' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:34 PM
I had a couple questions when doing my paddleshift retrofit and got 0 answers
:thumbsdown:

Anyway.. back to your dilemma. What exactly are you trying to do? you didn't have heated steering and now want to add it? I can help out with the wiring. I went through all the wiring and know what every wire in the steering wheel does
I know that the ring behind the steering is only one for the E60, heated or not.
The part behind the ring, that one that has indicators on it, is the same.
But the heated steering wheel I got has a connector more, male. Where is the female? In the ring or what?
Basically I'd like to know 1) if a need some wirings 2) if yes, if BMW sells it/them. if not, what can I do to create this wiring. Or if someone has a kit for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributors

can u post some pics? anything would help Oh... also give me your year and model.

I believe this is the "ring" aka coilspring you are referring to. It is universal for the 5 and 6-Series... same partnumbers. can u take a picture of yours from the top?

You'll also have to replace the steering column switch. You need switch #2, which manages the movement of the steering column and the button you see on the top is for the heated steering wheel. Part# 61316947788

Hmm after that it should be a matter of plug & play. no additional wiring. i don't even think you need to get your car coded.
Attached Thumbnails Heated steering retrofit-dscf0769.jpg   Heated steering retrofit-192.png  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Contributors

Also, when you got the new steering wheel. did it come with a new steering wheel control module?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='741458' date='Dec 9 2008, 08:19 PM
... tried gloves...?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='742529' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:42 AM
can u post some pics? anything would help Oh... also give me your year and model.

I believe this is the "ring" aka coilspring you are referring to. It is universal for the 5 and 6-Series... same partnumbers. can u take a picture of yours from the top?

You'll also have to replace the steering column switch. You need switch #2, which manages the movement of the steering column and the button you see on the top is for the heated steering wheel. Part# 61316947788

Hmm after that it should be a matter of plug & play. no additional wiring. i don't even think you need to get your car coded.

Yes, I forgot to say I bought the switch with two buttons.
In the coilspring.. There is the female for the connector exiting from the steering?

Also, when you got the new steering wheel. did it come with a new steering wheel control module?
No, nothing: I will post pics in some hours.

Edit: I already have pics:

Heated steering retrofit-imag0320.jpg
Heated steering retrofit-imag0322.jpg
Heated steering retrofit-imag0324.jpg

Can you see that light blue connector? Do I have the socket for it on my coilspring?

Quick Reply: Heated steering retrofit