E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Headers on M54 E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The raspy sound is the reason I put my resonator back on after installing a section III Magnaflow. These engines sound awesome at 3000 to 6500 RPM but once you get below that or let off the accel quickly you'll get the raspy fart-back sound. So, I put the resonator back on which created more back pressure I believe and alleviated that noise so its a little quieter but more consistent in tone.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

yeah the resonators quieted the rasp down but not due to back pressure. My resonators are straight through so no extra pressure its just muffled the rasp, if you pay close attention its still there just really quiet now. My exhaust is super quiet at high rpm and lower rumble at 2-3k rpm. Where as before the resonator it sound badass at high rpm and annoying rasp at 2k rpm.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big525i
where did u get the o2 sims I just ordered a set of stett performance headers and a magnaflow universal x
I installed these today between the exhaust bung and the o2 sensor (one for each downstream sensor) and the 'increased emissions' error went away for me. Only $6.23 tax included.

Headers on M54 E60-defouler.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Yeah I bought those too, I just haven't had time to try them yet. Are those the long ones or the short ones? Have you taken your car out on the highway yet? Initially after installing my headers I never got a increased emissions light for weeks, it wasn't until I went on a road trip outside the city that I got my emissions light. I wonder if the foulers will work for long duration's on the highway?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Yeah I bought those too, I just haven't had time to try them yet. Are those the long ones or the short ones? Have you taken your car out on the highway yet? Initially after installing my headers I never got a increased emissions light for weeks, it wasn't until I went on a road trip outside the city that I got my emissions light. I wonder if the foulers will work for long duration's on the highway?
My iDrive threw an increased emissions error shortly after starting the car for the first time once the headers were installed. The code went away when the de-foulers were installed.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Have you had it out on the highway for any longer drives yet with the foulers?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Have you had it out on the highway for any longer drives yet with the foulers?
Depends what you consider 'longer'. I have been on the highway multiple times, but only 15-20 miles at a time. Put 170+ miles on the car since yesterday because the new sound is so addicting.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Well I think I will give the foulers a try. I will be driving down to Fargo in a few weeks, so we will see whether the light comes back after long drives.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive a super old thread but I think I have finally found the right O2 sensor CEL light solution. I tried the spark plug non-foulers and that didn't work and I have been playing around with different O2 sim setups and I finally got something that works. Turns out that most of the sims available work if you don't remove the O2 sensors. If you do take the sensors out what you need is a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor in place of the sensor to act as the heater core of the sensor. These O2 sensors though will throw codes on long road trips, and the only solution that I have found that will never throw a code is by using a innovate LC-1 along with either your original sensors or with the 50 ohm resistors. I am currently running with the bimmerbrake oscillating 0.1v - 0.7v simulator with 2 50 ohm 10watt resistors and it has been good so far.

Sorry this took so long to figure out, I have been very busy with "life" and didn't have much time for the car this past summer.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:37 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Model Year: 04
Engine: M54 3.0L
Default Sry to bring up an old thread but single turbo e60 m54

I have neen looking and it only seems that a top mount manifold will fit on the e60? If the exhaust ports match up fine then theres no stock exhaust to desl with just a single catless 3 inch exhaust going out the back. Has anyone tried this.
this is what im doing now. Slow process buying parts as i can afford them. But there's plenty of room for it to fit. I have seen a e60 with an e46 turbo kit. Just had to do a little modification to the manifold and it was pretty easy. But i need to sap to 6 speed first my automatic wont hold the power..

Last edited by Flguy76; 07-10-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Headers on M54 E60