E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hartge or Hamannz splitter

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

M5 - go Hartge splitter
Mkit - go Hamann splitter
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by superhung' post='447723' date='Jul 14 2007, 11:53 AM
hey rody, thanks for all those details....I'm getting less motivated to purchase the Hamann splitter with your input, especially since you're on stock Sports suspension with just the M-Tech and scraping! When you're mentioning clearing and scraping driveways, can you tell me roughly what angle degrees you're talking about?

As for the parking blocks, I've learned my lesson one too many times so I stay FAR FAR away from those when I park. If you used to look at my car in a parking lot, my 'butt' used to stick out far more than the other cars parked. Made it look like I really sucked at parking

I'm waiting for my M-Tech kit + want to add the Hamann splitter and have already purchased a set of H&R Sport springs...I'm judging my driveway clearance off the basis that my last car, I could only get a 'half a foot' underneath the front lip and was able to clear my driveway (and most other driveways and dips)...So if I could also get a 'half a foot' under the Hamann splitter (if I decide to purchase it) on my E60, it might clear.... but your input is confirming some fears I was having about the M-Tech kit + splitter, since I see that you're scraping on a simple (less aggressive) setup than what I plan to go with. Hmmmm....

I can't tell you the angles of the driveways that scrape and the ones that don't, however, here's some pictures of the underside of my M-tech bumper which shows the damage and scratches that I have so far. I have also written the ground clearance of the different areas in inches. The scratches to the middle section were caused strictly by parking blocks, not driveway ramps. The scratches on the right and left lips however were caused mainly by driveway ramps and also parking blocks. Remember, it is not just the ground clearance that is an issue, but also the fact that the side lips are more forward than the middle section of the M-tech bumper (not to mention that they are way more forward than the bottom of the stock E60 bumper). The more forward the bottom of the bumper is the bigger the overhang (distance between the tire and the front of the bumper). The ability to go on driveway ramps without rubbing is inversely proportional to the size of the overhang. if the clearance at the bottom of the bumper was the same on both the stock bumper and M-Tech bumper, the stock bumper would be more capable of going on more steep ramps without rubbing than the M-Tech (because of the bigger overhang caused by the protrusion of the side lips on the M-tech).

The clearances than I have written on these pics are not exact and could be off by a quarter inch or so. Also, my ride height is about 0.15" higher than stock because of my tire sizes.

Hartge or Hamannz splitter-m_tech__middle_scratches.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='447882' date='Jul 14 2007, 08:57 PM
superhung, you should pm fedcaper or delje08. they currently have it on their cars with hr sports. after seeing how much troubling it is to go into dips/speedbumps, i still want it b/c the aggressive/wide look. cant do much with a inline 6 engine (185hp), so exterior mods are more important to me.

i thought u were coming to the meet today, but hopefully next time we could meet at next months meet?
Yeah, wish I could've made it to the meet, but I'll try and make it out to the next one. It would've been great to see all those modified E60's. Hope you guys had a lot of fun.

I'll PM fedcaper and delje08 for pics of their setup and it might give me a better idea on what I should expect in terms of clearance with this setup.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='448285' date='Jul 15 2007, 11:42 PM
I can't tell you the angles of the driveways that scrape and the ones that don't, however, here's some pictures of the underside of my M-tech bumper which shows the damage and scratches that I have so far. I have also written the ground clearance of the different areas in inches. The scratches to the middle section were caused strictly by parking blocks, not driveway ramps. The scratches on the right and left lips however were caused mainly by driveway ramps and also parking blocks. Remember, it is not just the ground clearance that is an issue, but also the fact that the side lips are more forward than the middle section of the M-tech bumper (not to mention that they are way more forward than the bottom of the stock E60 bumper). The more forward the bottom of the bumper is the bigger the overhang (distance between the tire and the front of the bumper). The ability to go on driveway ramps without rubbing is inversely proportional to the size of the overhang. if the clearance at the bottom of the bumper was the same on both the stock bumper and M-Tech bumper, the stock bumper would be more capable of going on more steep ramps without rubbing than the M-Tech (because of the bigger overhang caused by the protrusion of the side lips on the M-tech).

The clearances than I have written on these pics are not exact and could be off by a quarter inch or so. Also, my ride height is about 0.15" higher than stock because of my tire sizes.
Wow...Thanks for the pics and info Rody .... It looks like your M-Tech went through some serious hurting. So I'm guessing by the pics, the lowest part of the M-Tech is the corners which are roughly about 5 inches off the ground on your stock suspension. This means that if I have my H&R Sport Springs + M-Tech + Hamann Splitter + wheel/tire setup, on my count it'll *probably* be roughly 3 inches off the ground?? I think that is going to cause some trouble for me. Hopefully not.