E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hartge or Hamannz splitter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superhung' post='445919' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:17 PM
I've posted about this in other threads, but I'm debating on the same exact splitters. I personally like the look of the Hamann splitter much better, but after seeing various pictures of this splitter installed on lowered E60's, I'm getting second thoughts if my car will last on the rugged SoCal streets, let along climb my freakin' driveway. Tony (quad_m) is just waiting for me to give him the 'go' sign to add the Hamann splitter to my M-Tech order

My 545 has the stock suspension that comes on the sports package and the M tech front bumper still rubs on many driveways as well as the concrete stops in parking lot spaces. The front bumper has been pulled out twice by the concrete stops when backing out of the parking spot (see picture). The splitters not only reduce the ground clearance but also bring the front edge forward compared to the stock M-tech bumper. This makes it even worse when going up or down on steep driveways. All that without even lowering the car..........If the car is lowered it will be even more prone to rubbing.

Since I have the rubbing issues with my stock M-tech bumper and stock sport suspension I never even considered getting the splitters. I also like how the M-tech bumper's "lips" are only on the sides (under the foglights), and they have an abrupt cutoff point towards the center of the car. I think that looks more unique, however, the splitters change the look of this cutoff point while at the same time eliminating the "clean" look of the original M tech bumper.

So if you get either splitter be ready for damages and repairs.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I like them both!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='445946' date='Jul 10 2007, 06:35 PM
I like them both!
Well, duh... You have/had both.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

aw m5 with painted grills + hamann =
Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='445938' date='Jul 10 2007, 06:15 PM
My 545 has the stock suspension that comes on the sports package and the M tech front bumper still rubs on many driveways as well as the concrete stops in parking lot spaces. The front bumper has been pulled out twice by the concrete stops when backing out of the parking spot (see picture). The splitters not only reduce the ground clearance but also bring the front edge forward compared to the stock M-tech bumper. This makes it even worse when going up or down on steep driveways. All that without even lowering the car..........If the car is lowered it will be even more prone to rubbing.

Since I have the rubbing issues with my stock M-tech bumper and stock sport suspension I never even considered getting the splitters. I also like how the M-tech bumper's "lips" are only on the sides (under the foglights), and they have an abrupt cutoff point towards the center of the car. I think that looks more unique, however, the splitters change the look of this cutoff point while at the same time eliminating the "clean" look of the original M tech bumper.

So if you get either splitter be ready for damages and repairs.
rody, thanks for the input. Just curious about what you mentioned about your stock sport suspension + M-tech kit. How much clearance do you have between the lowest part of your M-Tech kit (I'm assuming the corners) and the ground? When you say 'rubs on driveways' do you mean steep driveways? Also, just curious as to if you've ever driven a lowered vehicle or a car with a kit previous to the E60? I had a lowered car with a lip and could get roughly half a foot under the front lip and was able to clear somewhat steep driveways.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by superhung' post='447539' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:08 PM
rody, thanks for the input. Just curious about what you mentioned about your stock sport suspension + M-tech kit. How much clearance do you have between the lowest part of your M-Tech kit (I'm assuming the corners) and the ground? When you say 'rubs on driveways' do you mean steep driveways? Also, just curious as to if you've ever driven a lowered vehicle or a car with a kit previous to the E60? I had a lowered car with a lip and could get roughly half a foot under the front lip and was able to clear somewhat steep driveways.

I will measure the clearance in the next couple of days and post it here. My new 255/35-19's are about 0.3" bigger in diameter than the old 245/40-18's, so the car's height is about 0.15" higher now which amazingly does help quite a bit. It does not rub as much as with the stock tires.

It mostly rubs on relatively steep driveways, although sometimes when I can't slow down enough before entering a driveway because of other traffic (or enter it diagoanlly) it rubs even on average driveways that are not too steep. I have had other cars with lowered suspensions and front spoilers, so I know how to drive to try to avoid rubbing the bottom of the spoiler , however, sometimes it is not possible to drive that way because there are other cars around or approaching. If I have to enter driveways straight and can't slow down significantly then it rubs on at least 60% of driveways. If I slow down to walking speed before hitting the driveway then I can clear without touching, so it is also an issue of the suspension compression, maybe with a stiffer suspension (without lowering the car) it may not compress as much in these particular situations and therefore not rub.

The worst is the parking space blocks. I would say about 50% of them are too tall and they rub the bottom of the spoiler at best, and at worse they pull out the bumper when you drive back out of the spot......this has happened twice so far. I now park back in first instead of front in first, or if I go front in first then I don't go all the way forward so that the block does not come under the bumper.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='447614' date='Jul 14 2007, 04:18 AM
I will measure the clearance in the next couple of days and post it here. My new 255/35-19's are about 0.3" bigger in diameter than the old 245/40-18's, so the car's height is about 0.15" higher now which amazingly does help quite a bit. It does not rub as much as with the stock tires.

It mostly rubs on relatively steep driveways, although sometimes when I can't slow down enough before entering a driveway because of other traffic (or enter it diagoanlly) it rubs even on average driveways that are not too steep. I have had other cars with lowered suspensions and front spoilers, so I know how to drive to try to avoid rubbing the bottom of the spoiler , however, sometimes it is not possible to drive that way because there are other cars around or approaching. If I have to enter driveways straight and can't slow down significantly then it rubs on at least 60% of driveways. If I slow down to walking speed before hitting the driveway then I can clear without touching, so it is also an issue of the suspension compression, maybe with a stiffer suspension (without lowering the car) it may not compress as much in these particular situations and therefore not rub.

The worst is the parking space blocks. I would say about 50% of them are too tall and they rub the bottom of the spoiler at best, and at worse they pull out the bumper when you drive back out of the spot......this has happened twice so far. I now park back in first instead of front in first, or if I go front in first then I don't go all the way forward so that the block does not come under the bumper.
hey rody, thanks for all those details....I'm getting less motivated to purchase the Hamann splitter with your input, especially since you're on stock Sports suspension with just the M-Tech and scraping! When you're mentioning clearing and scraping driveways, can you tell me roughly what angle degrees you're talking about?

As for the parking blocks, I've learned my lesson one too many times so I stay FAR FAR away from those when I park. If you used to look at my car in a parking lot, my 'butt' used to stick out far more than the other cars parked. Made it look like I really sucked at parking

I'm waiting for my M-Tech kit + want to add the Hamann splitter and have already purchased a set of H&R Sport springs...I'm judging my driveway clearance off the basis that my last car, I could only get a 'half a foot' underneath the front lip and was able to clear my driveway (and most other driveways and dips)...So if I could also get a 'half a foot' under the Hamann splitter (if I decide to purchase it) on my E60, it might clear.... but your input is confirming some fears I was having about the M-Tech kit + splitter, since I see that you're scraping on a simple (less aggressive) setup than what I plan to go with. Hmmmm....
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributors

cant wait for my splitter. i saw fedcaper and jerry's car with the hamann splitter and was in love.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='447802' date='Jul 14 2007, 05:12 PM
cant wait for my splitter. i saw fedcaper and jerry's car with the hamann splitter and was in love.
aw, can you post your input after it's installed in regards to clearing driveways, dips, etc.? I see that you have the H&R Sport springs, so that would make it somewhat similar to my setup (if I do get the Hamann splitter). I think it'll look goregeous on alpinewhite!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by superhung' post='447815' date='Jul 14 2007, 06:00 PM
aw, can you post your input after it's installed in regards to clearing driveways, dips, etc.? I see that you have the H&R Sport springs, so that would make it somewhat similar to my setup (if I do get the Hamann splitter). I think it'll look goregeous on alpinewhite!

superhung, you should pm fedcaper or delje08. they currently have it on their cars with hr sports. after seeing how much troubling it is to go into dips/speedbumps, i still want it b/c the aggressive/wide look. cant do much with a inline 6 engine (185hp), so exterior mods are more important to me.

i thought u were coming to the meet today, but hopefully next time we could meet at next months meet?

Quick Reply: Hartge or Hamannz splitter