E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Had an ECU re-map yesterday - still grinning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

I was very happy with my 530 D (231) but could not resist a re-map (only 3K miles on the clock)

e-maps were great and released 231 hp to 275, 500NM torque to 590 - real kick back in the seat, likely to lose my license soon. Gusting so fast 70 - 140 + mph, everything feels in slow motion outside my comfy cabin.

One fool who may pull out without seeing me would wipe me out - gotta slow down

Only cost ?350 (much lower overhead than DMS - same equipment & software)

I did not think my 530D could have been made quicker, but I was wrong

Also learned that the ECU is factory set to restrict the engine for the first 5K miles. After 10K , can't wait
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 - 525Da with sports pack & some more stuff (color = carbon black with kastanjebraun leather)

Great,

I love these stories...
I'm thinking of also remapping mine (it's only a 525d).
They tell me it should give 220HP & 490torque, that's more or less like a 'standard' 530d, right ?
Can't wait to get to my 5000kms...

anyway, good luck & drive 'safely' .
Old 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by xtype' post='315437' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:38 PM
Great,

I love these stories...
They tell me it should give 220HP & 490torque, that's more or less like a 'standard' 530d, right ?

What do you mean "only a 525d" - you are only ?350 away from near 530d perfomance (un-mapped of course). Do it with www.e-maps.co.uk - Simon is very helpful and un-maps when ever you need it - ie end of lease
Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='315435' date='Jul 26 2006, 03:27 PM
I was very happy with my 530 D (231) but could not resist a re-map (only 3K miles on the clock)

e-maps were great and released 231 hp to 275, 500NM torque to 590 - real kick back in the seat, likely to lose my license soon. Gusting so fast 70 - 140 + mph, everything feels in slow motion outside my comfy cabin.

One fool who may pull out without seeing me would wipe me out - gotta slow down

Only cost ?350 (much lower overhead than DMS - same equipment & software)

I did not think my 530D could have been made quicker, but I was wrong

Also learned that the ECU is factory set to restrict the engine for the first 5K miles. After 10K , can't wait
Nice report & re-mapped BMW Diesels really do fly as i found out when i DMS'd my previous steed, that being a 535d M-Sport.

However one point i'd like to pull you up on is the DMS re-mark, as unless e-maps have stolen DMS's code which i'm sure DMS will not be very happy about, then it certainly is not the same equipment & software. The results assuming you stuck the car on a dyno for before & after plots may well be similar but it is certainly not the same software.

Also your point about the ECU being locked for the 1st 5K miles. I've not owned BMW's for that long but it's the 1st time i've heard of that. I know on the M5 which is what i now own, certain settings are locked until the car is run-in such as the highest settings for the SMG & Launch Control but never heard of this on other E60 models.

Not wanting to rain on your parade as your car will now certainly be a flying machine, but just wanted to clear the above point up & perhaps the person that was working on your car was bigging things up just a little bit.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='315448' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:09 PM
Nice report & re-mapped BMW Diesels really do fly as i found out when i DMS'd my previous steed, that being a 535d M-Sport.

However one point i'd like to pull you up on is the DMS re-mark, as unless e-maps have stolen DMS's code which i'm sure DMS will not be very happy about, then it certainly is not the same equipment & software. The results assuming you stuck the car on a dyno for before & after plots may well be similar but it is certainly not the same software.

Also your point about the ECU being locked for the 1st 5K miles. I've not owned BMW's for that long but it's the 1st time i've heard of that. I know on the M5 which is what i now own, certain settings are locked until the car is run-in such as the highest settings for the SMG & Launch Control but never heard of this on other E60 models.

Not wanting to rain on your parade as your car will now certainly be a flying machine, but just wanted to clear the above point up & perhaps the person that was working on your car was bigging things up just a little bit.
You are probably right, I will do some more digging with e-maps and return a reply in the next few days. They seemed convincing in identifying kit that was also supplied to DMS. Guess I'm just a bit high bearing in mind I was in a 1.9tdi 130 A4 3 months ago - how different now. M5 - no re-maps needed ever
Old 07-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xtype' post='315437' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:38 PM
Great,

I love these stories...

If you live in Belgium you SHOULD go to www.Kempower.be. I had my 525d remaped by a local dealer and I'm very happy with the results. Kempower has very strong connections with BMW Motorsport and definitly know what they are doing.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='315456' date='Jul 26 2006, 04:21 PM
You are probably right, I will do some more digging with e-maps and return a reply in the next few days. They seemed convincing in identifying kit that was also supplied to DMS. Guess I'm just a bit high bearing in mind I was in a 1.9tdi 130 A4 3 months ago - how different now. M5 - no re-maps needed ever
No worries & enjoy your new perfomance.

My M5 has been fettled & as you'd guess it was DMS that did the work as they're the only company i would trust with such a car, however other firms exist that can map E60 M5's however i never see them advertised in the UK Motoring press & DMS have by far the track record with UK M5's, having mapped a good number over the past 12mths. They also spent months developing the mapping on their own E60 M5 which was one of the 1st into the UK. They're now waiting for their 997 Turbo which is their next major project.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

At only 4K in, what were your thoughts on warranty ? Was wondering about this myself, but I've got another year to go on my 2004 530d.

We're neighbours
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 AM
Members

Hi guys - I'm new here and waiting for my new 520d M-Sport. Can I ask when getting a BMW service, can they "spot" the remap? If so I presume it negates the warranty?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ian' post='315685' date='Jul 27 2006, 01:14 PM
At only 4K in, what were your thoughts on warranty ? Was wondering about this myself, but I've got another year to go on my 2004 530d.

We're neighbours

Hello neighbour!!!

Warranty and BMW service issues depend on who you ask.

DMS response for their re-map is "zero detection by servicing dealer". Never had any issues with any E60's re-mapped.

E-Maps a bit more realistic - if a dealer took the time to test BHP and torque during a service (very unlikely)a change would be picked up. Probably more of a reason to inform an insurer than a dealer though.

E-Maps will come and un-map at the end of my lease - I do not want someone else enjoying this!!!

I have seen some reports that show bigger nett gains from re-mapping the 218hp pre Sept 2005

I'd do it now

Quick Reply: Had an ECU re-map yesterday - still grinning