E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to search for opinions on this, but could not find any related threads. Maybe I'm not entering the correct keywords, /shrugs

Anyway, can anyone who has installed the H&R Sport Springs on the 530XI comment on the ride quality (without a shock change)?

It seems a couple of members have done this based off of looking at people's signatures, and also C's bimmer's thread on XI rims (one of the many, lol).

My car looks like it is riding on balloons with the stock 18's, and in the spring when I go 19's it will probably look horrible. I wanted to see if I'm going to have to invest $1,500+ on coilovers to make the car sit right, or if I can go with the cheap option being the H&R's without sacrificing ride quality.

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Members

Just wanted to say that I had equivalent set from Eibach with stock shocks and did not like the result.
My opinion is you that can?t have good ride quality with just changing springs... Not with H&R or any else.

Lowering is good but you loose that nice premium ride quality and get unbalanced and bumpy ride.
If you have sport suspension and then change springs it?s totally another story = recommended

Save your money for re-installation and go for a set of coils (KW recommended)or a set with springs and shocks (I think both H&R and Eibach has them)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have the H&R sport springs with bilstein shocks, and the ride quality is great. With my previous car (e46 325xi) I had stock non-sport shocks with H&R sport springs and thought the ride was ok. I personally don't think coilovers are worth it unless you are tracking your car or really want the height adjustability. My suggestion would be if your stock shocks are still fairly new try the stock shocks with the H&R sport springs if you hate it then buy the Koni yellow shocks or the bilstein sport shocks or wait till the oem shocks wear out and buy them, if your shocks are getting old anyway then save on the labour and buy the shocks and springs together. You don't have to spend tons of money to have good ride quality, you do need to keep in mind that no matter what you get they won't feel like stock it will be stiffer.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1050980' date='Nov 9 2009, 04:25 PM
I have the H&R sport springs with bilstein shocks, and the ride quality is great. With my previous car (e46 325xi) I had stock non-sport shocks with H&R sport springs and thought the ride was ok. I personally don't think coilovers are worth it unless you are tracking your car or really want the height adjustability. My suggestion would be if your stock shocks are still fairly new try the stock shocks with the H&R sport springs if you hate it then buy the Koni yellow shocks or the bilstein sport shocks or wait till the oem shocks wear out and buy them, if your shocks are getting old anyway then save on the labour and buy the shocks and springs together. You don't have to spend tons of money to have good ride quality, you do need to keep in mind that no matter what you get they won't feel like stock it will be stiffer.
Thanks for the input.

I guess like anything else in life, you have to do it the right way or it isn't worth doing. I will most likely wait and do a shock/strut combo.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributors

I have H&R's with stock shocks and I must admit, it's a little bouncy but nothing I cant live with. The drop itself is perfect, it settled a bit more than the picture on my sig.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i have the sports suspension and added vogtland springs. dropped about a quarter inch only. Ride is EXACTLY like stock. Do not feel a difference at all. Takes the twisties better than before. It rides how i like it, looks the way i want it.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1051318' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:41 PM
i have the sports suspension and added vogtland springs. dropped about a quarter inch only. Ride is EXACTLY like stock. Do not feel a difference at all. Takes the twisties better than before. It rides how i like it, looks the way i want it.
WTF dude?! This is for XI cars on H&Rs - postwhore much lately, Josh?

BTW OP, there is a little bit of info on this (I'd recommend sifting through some DrLev99's threads ), but it still is a great thread, so I just wanted to throw out my

Xi's definitely don't get enough love around here
Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1051510' date='Nov 10 2009, 04:31 AM
WTF dude?! This is for XI cars on H&Rs - postwhore much lately, Josh?

BTW OP, there is a little bit of info on this (I'd recommend sifting through some DrLev99's threads ), but it still is a great thread, so I just wanted to throw out my

Xi's definitely don't get enough love around here
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. That was exactly what I was looking for, a discussion on the trials and tribulations of installing the springs solo.

The pics in that thread also remind me how much better the E60 looks with minimal fender gaps I'm excited for the Spring to get that look going on my car. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I have these installed on my XI and think they are great for the price. I didn't have the problems Dr. Lev had and did NOT have to trim my bumpstops.

On good roads the ride is great, can't even really tell the difference from stock. On crap roads the ride gets bouncy and I don't like it very much. Lucky for me 90 percent of the time the ride is smooth. Guess it depends on what your roads are like.

Sure made my car look way better. Here's a pick with my car, my rims are 19x10 et38 in the rear and have never rubbed btw.

H&R Springs-img_0632.jpg
Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5' post='1051826' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:05 PM
I have these installed on my XI and think they are great for the price. I didn't have the problems Dr. Lev had and did NOT have to trim my bumpstops.

On good roads the ride is great, can't even really tell the difference from stock. On crap roads the ride gets bouncy and I don't like it very much. Lucky for me 90 percent of the time the ride is smooth. Guess it depends on what your roads are like.

Sure made my car look way better. Here's a pick with my car, my rims are 19x10 et38 in the rear and have never rubbed btw.

Attachment 94068
Nice ride. That's the look I want.. With like 1/2 inch gap in the fender, lol.

Well, if it is bouncy on rough roads.. here in NYC I'm pretty fucked! Roads here are horrible.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: H&R Springs