E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got RPi exhaust installed today...picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree-it is that piece that explains why businesses dont last-RPI wont last as a company believe me-if they cant listen to simple customer demand and SIMPLY modify the exhaust o include a shorter hanger or just weld there metal hanger on the exhaust a little differently so it works with the stock hanger--but they keep churning out the thing as is and these complaints continue to come up every few weeks-oh well theyll be out of business soon enough along with trinity whos customer service was horrible and they sent me the wrong product and refused to get it picked up from my house to return it, he wouldnt send me a new one until I had to call the owner of the podunk noname shipper he used to convince him to come to my home to pick it up (they only picked up from business address..) so ya those type of companies who dont do the little things, in this market where there are a ton of mod companies--see ya later!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

Diamond,

That's interesting and I wasn't aware of that. So, if RPI isn't cutting it are there other exhaust manufacturers who package their systems with the proper mounting hardware where the customer doesn't have to go through a ton of changes to get the exhaust to fit right?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Members

My dealings with Trinity and Nerwyl were positive, sorry to hear about that.

Back On-topic, in the Maxima community we had Cattman Performance to deal with or Stillen. Unfortunately, Stillen was a bit too lazy(and big) to offer us a dual tip design as they moved onto the more popular cars, and somehow thought it was still 1995 to offer us anything but a big, round fart can look tip, which looked totally off on our 5th generation cars. Fitment though, never an issue.

Cattman was the go-to company for a nice dual 3"tip rear section, full catback, y-pipe and headers. Gains everywhere, on every pipe. And before he mass produced ANYTHING, it was a year plus labor of love with the community members making adjustments on those bends and hanger rods to make sure no one had fitment(knocking) or tip placement issues with not only the OEM bumper, but the various kits out there. Even after the mid-cycle changes , they were still implementing design changes to improve on everything. I had my exhaust since 2004, until recently when i got the Bimmer-guess what those OEM hangers did just fine and held up.

I was really set on an RPI: the exhaust, gains on paper, and finish looks good...but when it comes to fitment, i'm very wary about this kind of stuff.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Heres how it looks on my 530i..congrats btw.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Members

Every RPI install i've seen looks slightly different. Tips just right, Tips too far out, Tips too low.

Da_Meister_22, do you have another pic of the exhaust in place? You know, without the support bar from the shop holding it up in place.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

See again-that picture above the tips are hanging WAY too low and are too far. out

I think the RPI is the best one out there-its just frustrating you have to play around wiht it so much to get it to fit right.

I actually had to cut a bit more off my OEM pipe and weld the RPI so it sat where I wanted and the tips were much more tucked in-I dont like tips sticking way out.

Then I had to weld on a middle hanger to hang on the OEM middle hanger.

Then I had to weld the pipes together-my choice though you can clamp

Then I had to use shorter hangers on the most rear hanger so it sat up nice and snug in the plastic cutout.

There are Supersprint and Remus and Eisenmann all fit AWESOME-I have had all three actually but I prefer RPI for sound forsure. The remus had by far the coolest looking tips but RPI looks great also. Performance and sound RPI wins and I literally tried all other three but fitment is no comparison really-rpi the worst.

Everyone i see who installs, it hangs way too low--luckily its quite easily fixed with getting a hanger. As long as you know ahead of time. It was frustrating becaue I got one of the early ones and there was no talk of this stuff and I had to figure it out on my own
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
all the exhausts out there are bolt on-I just found my remus and supersprint fit perfectly out of the box, had good hangers and support and were designed to fit perfectly with the oem rubber hanger

RPI however does not look good with the oem rubber hanger which makes no sense-like why wouoldnt you design the exhaust to work with the oem hanger to sit perfectly instead of offering a rec to the buyer to buy a new hanger if they want it to sit properly.. makes little sense
but you dont have to weld anything on the rpi technically.

However if you dont want a saggy middle piece that is completely unsupported than you need to weld a hanger onto a clamp at the very least and put that on the middle of the exhaust and use the oem hanger or else you get a saggy unsupported exhaust.

Poor build quality of the RPI fitment wise forsure

Dude its not the shops dont know how to install it-its the RPI system is not designed for fitment well. It sits VERY low by design and that is why they have two suggestions to help this if you dontl ike it-moving the exhaust further back so it sits a bit higher (this wont do it for most) and replacing the hanger.

You can see on their install instructions they didnt even fit it with OEM rubber hangers on their install-my guess they didnt even design it with the OEM rubber hangers used and that is why using them makes the exhaust sit way low. There is not a lot of ways to install an exhaust-you cut your pipe and clamp it on-its not the shops, its the variation and crappy fitment of this thing. You will see.

Totally agree-it is that piece that explains why businesses dont last-RPI wont last as a company believe me-if they cant listen to simple customer demand and SIMPLY modify the exhaust o include a shorter hanger or just weld there metal hanger on the exhaust a little differently so it works with the stock hanger--but they keep churning out the thing as is and these complaints continue to come up every few weeks-oh well theyll be out of business soon enough along with trinity whos customer service was horrible and they sent me the wrong product and refused to get it picked up from my house to return it, he wouldnt send me a new one until I had to call the owner of the podunk noname shipper he used to convince him to come to my home to pick it up (they only picked up from business address..) so ya those type of companies who dont do the little things, in this market where there are a ton of mod companies--see ya later!

See again-that picture above the tips are hanging WAY too low and are too far. out

I think the RPI is the best one out there-its just frustrating you have to play around wiht it so much to get it to fit right.

I actually had to cut a bit more off my OEM pipe and weld the RPI so it sat where I wanted and the tips were much more tucked in-I dont like tips sticking way out.

Then I had to weld on a middle hanger to hang on the OEM middle hanger.

Then I had to weld the pipes together-my choice though you can clamp

Then I had to use shorter hangers on the most rear hanger so it sat up nice and snug in the plastic cutout.

There are Supersprint and Remus and Eisenmann all fit AWESOME-I have had all three actually but I prefer RPI for sound forsure. The remus had by far the coolest looking tips but RPI looks great also. Performance and sound RPI wins and I literally tried all other three but fitment is no comparison really-rpi the worst.

Everyone i see who installs, it hangs way too low--luckily its quite easily fixed with getting a hanger. As long as you know ahead of time. It was frustrating becaue I got one of the early ones and there was no talk of this stuff and I had to figure it out on my own

You are such a baby.

I got the first one for a 530i and it fit exactly perfect, the problem is that you use one side of the oem hangers and then another side that is there for a hanger but doesnt have it attached to the oem exhausts so shops get confused.

Their build quality is outstanding with proven gains for a reasonable price

if you cant figure something out by mildly observing it then you have no business modding your car at all.

the problem is that most shops and most customers dont know shit about cars that require common sense as is the case here. The OP walked out of there with the exhaust looking like this because he shop said "fuck it, here ya go"

Diamond all your little crybaby snickering at the fitment of the exhaust is stupid and you look stupid for doing it

here are some pics of mine when I first got it

Both the OP and Diamond dont know how to figure out basic things and you both brought it to shops that were shitty if they couldnt put 2 and 2 together
Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Have to go agree with PTL here, Diamond just loves posting his negative opinions on issues that he must think people give a shit about what he has to say. I've yet to meet an internet forum poster with as sandy of a vagina as this guy/girl/whatever Diamond. Every topic he is the "subject matter expert" with a pessimistic, negative attitude.

My RPI fit perfectly as well, and it was installed by morons if that means anything. Thankfully, RPI offers COMPLETE directions on how to install it, WITH PICTURES. So with a little coaching, the dumbass who installed it got it right.

Some people I tell ya
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Have to go agree with PTL here, Diamond just loves posting his negative opinions on issues that he must think people give a shit about what he has to say. I've yet to meet an internet forum poster with as sandy of a vagina as this guy/girl/whatever Diamond. Every topic he is the "subject matter expert" with a pessimistic, negative attitude.

My RPI fit perfectly as well, and it was installed by morons if that means anything. Thankfully, RPI offers COMPLETE directions on how to install it, WITH PICTURES. So with a little coaching, the dumbass who installed it got it right.

Some people I tell ya
I guess if your standards are that low and you think yours looks "good"-its way crooked for starters and is angled incorrectly. I am thinking they should be straight and tucked into the cutout.

And its not just me-there have been TONS of posts about it hanging low and two posts from RPI on "how to correct it" so bud they are admitting there is a correction which means a problem exists.

And to the slowmobile 05 530--your just sore because your exaust didnt help the 225 weak horses of your slug of a car-

Quick Reply: got RPi exhaust installed today...picture