E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got RPi exhaust installed today...picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installer is seriously a newb retard. :thumbsdown: How could they let you leave the shop like that I'm in complete dismay... lol
Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by RPIpower
congrats on the new exhaust. We have seen this happen sometimes. A large part of it is due to the middle of the exhaust not having a hanger. If you look around the middle (bottom) of the car, there is a silver plate/bracket held on by four 13mm bolts. The exhaust moves and on some cars swings more to the left and some swing to the right. If you want to bring the tips upwards, you can try this method of adjustment ( http://raceprecision.com/forums/view...0d2090cd57ce3a ) or use a shorter hanger (part no: 511187 from pepboys. About $3.99). We are here M-F 10am to 5pm so please give me a call if you have any questions.
Now that's good service! Way to go E!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

thanks everyone! going to pep boys tomorrow
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

It's unfortunate that such a nice exhaust system is constantly installed incorrectly on BMW's by mufflers shops and the like who don't know what they are doing. Since I live in the LA area I plan to drive to RPI to get the exhaust installed because I'm almost 100% sure if I try to get that exhaust installed where I live it will be screwed up too and that's irritating as hell when you spend good money for things and people don't know what the hell they are doing.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 Orange / Black matt 545i 02 Black 530i

nice one i will buy one soon
Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

off topic but my boy bought a 1800 dollar full exhaust for his 2010 volkswagon gti from apr and it was all off center.i dunno if they build these buy hand or what but you can tell lots of peices were welded either to far foward or back making the duals way unalighned in the end
Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 AM
Members

I've read mixed stories on the fitment on these RPI's now.

Is there a reason there isn't a true bolt-on replacement catback for our cars? Without needing to hack and weld?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the exhausts out there are bolt on-I just found my remus and supersprint fit perfectly out of the box, had good hangers and support and were designed to fit perfectly with the oem rubber hanger

RPI however does not look good with the oem rubber hanger which makes no sense-like why wouoldnt you design the exhaust to work with the oem hanger to sit perfectly instead of offering a rec to the buyer to buy a new hanger if they want it to sit properly.. makes little sense
but you dont have to weld anything on the rpi technically.

However if you dont want a saggy middle piece that is completely unsupported than you need to weld a hanger onto a clamp at the very least and put that on the middle of the exhaust and use the oem hanger or else you get a saggy unsupported exhaust.

Poor build quality of the RPI fitment wise forsure
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude its not the shops dont know how to install it-its the RPI system is not designed for fitment well. It sits VERY low by design and that is why they have two suggestions to help this if you dontl ike it-moving the exhaust further back so it sits a bit higher (this wont do it for most) and replacing the hanger.

You can see on their install instructions they didnt even fit it with OEM rubber hangers on their install-my guess they didnt even design it with the OEM rubber hangers used and that is why using them makes the exhaust sit way low. There is not a lot of ways to install an exhaust-you cut your pipe and clamp it on-its not the shops, its the variation and crappy fitment of this thing. You will see.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Members

Ok, simple question then: why doesn't RPI include what would be cheap-as-peanuts rubber or eurethane hangers along with their exhaust to avoid these issues and compliment their product? Its not necessarily a cheap exhaust as is.

If i have to cut my OEM exhaust just to have an aftermarket exhaust on a BMW, i'd expect like-a-glove fitment out of the box. We are not talking throwing on an off the shelf Magnaflow rear section and rigging the hangers to making it work/look good. The RPI is marketed specifically for our models cars, since they couldnt adress this X,XXX units ago, they should revise it at some point or offer the needed parts for an optimal install out of the box.

Quick Reply: got RPi exhaust installed today...picture