E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got my aftermarket stereo installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Your alpine amps are the new model pdx's which from what I'm told do not have the noise issue that the first generation ones did.

A lot of guys from the nissan murano forum use the req5 with lots of success, I don't have any personal experience with it.

I say cut a hole where the ski pass should be and see if that helps. I'm surprised that your installer charged you $900 for install and never tuned your system for you??
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

he tuned it but i couldnt resist fucking with it some more. i didnt really change much. cars going back and there taking the mtx req5 out and going with something else he said hes gonna go old school and just use a line out coverter and see if that cleans it up. the system sounds good now that ive listened to it. just gonna get that bass note outta the trunk into the car so we will be cutting the ski hole and some holes in the rear deck. those eclipse subs got good reviews and they were on sale. i cant give a review on them because i really havent had a clear demo from them yet. the subs move in unisen there wired correctly. @ bruce. i have the basic oem speaker set up.. 2 4's in the front door with tweeters. 2 4's in the rear deck with twetters. thats it. on the hu all i have is bass treble and balance
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
the req5 says theres 3 way summming. it sounds good after tunning it some just gotta cut out the ski hole area. and punch some holes in the rear deck
No, you don't have to cut anything and the MTX re-Q5 is the wrong device for your HiFi. I have just a 10" ID sub in my E90 M3 trunk, no folding seats, and it can get loud if I push it with just a PDX-5. This myth about BMW trunks being "sealed" and sub bass waves getting "trapped" in there is absurd.

And this going back to "old school" crap is just that, crap. What is needed here is a DSP processor with summing and a de-EQ, so you can start with a clean, flat, and full range low level signal to all your amps. No passive LOC will fix this.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Technic
No, you don't have to cut anything and the MTX re-Q5 is the wrong device for your HiFi. I have just a 10" ID sub in my E90 M3 trunk, no folding seats, and it can get loud if I push it with just a PDX-5. This myth about BMW trunks being "sealed" and sub bass waves getting "trapped" in there is absurd.

And this going back to "old school" crap is just that, crap. What is needed here is a DSP processor with summing and a de-EQ, so you can start with a clean, flat, and full range low level signal to all your amps. No passive LOC will fix this.
then how come people who had this problem who cut the holes out solved the problem. if you sat in an empty room with a subwoofer playing it would fill the room and thump. if you listen to that same subwoofer but now it has a steel cage over it. it not going to sound the same at all. i mean the bass sounds like i live in an a apartment w/ thin walls and my next door neighbor is bumping his stereo. i feel his bass and can hear it but its distant and not directly where it needs to be

and what device for summing do you recommend then? your telling me what i need but your not telling me anything
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributors

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

link on solving trunk bass problems
Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

thats what ive been reading. when i fold down the arm rest. theres a black plastic wall there. if i cut thru that dies it go to the trunk or is there another layer of metal still
goes through to the trunk
Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

then how come people who had this problem who cut the holes out solved the problem. if you sat in an empty room with a subwoofer playing it would fill the room and thump. if you listen to that same subwoofer but now it has a steel cage over it. it not going to sound the same at all. i mean the bass sounds like i live in an a apartment w/ thin walls and my next door neighbor is bumping his stereo. i feel his bass and can hear it but its distant and not directly where it needs to be

and what device for summing do you recommend then? your telling me what i need but your not telling me anything
You just answered your own question, if you cut your trunk of course you will feel that sub more. But that's not the problem here, the problem is your OEM signal, and cutting the trunk will mask that problem. Of course, you can do whatever you want with your trunk.

There are three DSP processors that will properly solve your problem, the Cleansweep w/summing, the MS-8 and the bit-one.1. I cannot recommend the 3SIXTY.2 because it is really finicky, it may or may not work for you so you could be back to square one, a non-satisfying system. I have installed all those 4 processors in my BMWs, any other "old school" fix will be just another band-aid like what you have right now.

Do you need links as well or can you take it from here?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Technic
You just answered your own question, if you cut your trunk of course you will feel that sub more. But that's not the problem here, the problem is your OEM signal, and cutting the trunk will mask that problem. Of course, you can do whatever you want with your trunk.

There are three DSP processors that will properly solve your problem, the Cleansweep w/summing, the MS-8 and the bit-one.1. I cannot recommend the 3SIXTY.2 because it is really finicky, it may or may not work for you so you could be back to square one, a non-satisfying system. I have installed all those 4 processors in my BMWs, any other "old school" fix will be just another band-aid like what you have right now.

Do you need links as well or can you take it from here?

Agreed. When you have a bullet wound it gets removed and stitched, not a band aid over the wound. Same applies here. Fix the issue at hand rather than *trying* alternatives.
It has been tried and proven time and time again that the above mentioned works and is not a 'shot in the dark'.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Contributors

well if u looked at my first post i said the installer wanted to take the mtx req5 out because it wasnt working the signals right and he wanted to put a clean sweep. it set up to go back on friday and get situated.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

hey, your first post sparked me to swap out my rear seat. i installed a single alpine rtype 12inch sub and an alpine M500 mono block amp...at first it sounded exactly like you just described...very muffled...all higher end bass...no low end frequency...i was pissed. it sounded worse than my logic7 system before the install. however, once i removed the rear seat and the bass moved freely...it was a totally different experience!

i dont recommend cutting holes in the rear decklid...instead cuting a hole in the rear seat where the arm rest is will solve your problem. you may also want to adjust the placement of your subs...move them fwd a couple inches (maybe 2 to 4 inches) so that you will create space for the bass to move fwd to the back of the trunk then reverberate towards the inside of the car freely...bass is all about free flow and reverberations (triple word score! lol)

anyway...good luck! i hope you find success the way i did!

Quick Reply: got my aftermarket stereo installed