E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got my aftermarket stereo installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

so i took my 06 530 to a reputable shop whose been in business for over 25 years. i put the following goodies in the boot

2 elcipse 10 inch woofers at 720 watts rms each
1 800.4 rockford fosgate amp powing the 4 mb quarts speakers in side at 75 x4
2 digital alipine amps at 600rms each to each sub
mtx req5 sound processor

the system in my option sounds worse then the stock speakers!!! no bass hissy and distant. what bass there is seems like its coming from a mile away, locked in the trunk. all i hear is the vibrations. the bass does not hit at all. the speakers have like no mid bass at all either. just flat. im so freakn pissed. the installer did say that the mtx unit was not allowing the system to function the way it should with all the top quality componenets i put in. he never used the mtx req5 before. he recommened i switch it to a jl clean sweep and that shold fix it. plus he said i should cut the rear deck some to allow more bass into the cabin since the car is so well sealed. im really upset after dropping about 3k into it. im embarrassed to even play the radio now. i also get a bad ground whislte on accleration. i told them i want to switch to the cleensweep immedialty. i know what bass should sound like and feel like espically 1200 watts of it. the install looks great but dosent perfom at all. any insite??? posting pics soon
Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Where in NJ are you?

Just because a shop has 25 years of experience it does not mean they know how to work with our cars.

$3k is way too much for equipment that you getting. Do you have logic7 or the standard HIFI stereo? Tell your installer that he's also gonna need the JL summing device for the cleansweep if he goes that route.

does your dealer sell JBL? if you could afford it, i would ditch the cleansweep and get a JBL MS-8.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Which alpine amps are you using? Are they the pdx 1.600? The first generation pdx amps are known for a high noise floor, so they are probably your cause for some of the hissing. I suggest that you look into a different processor and I probably would suggest something other than the JL cleansweep, If you don't mind spending the money I would try the audison bitone. Instead of cutting your rear deck I would try porting the 2 subs through the ski pass.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:04 PM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

The installer should give you some kind of exchange on this , he should have put to 12's in there imo. perhaps the sub box is built like crap. unfortunately bmw 5 series trunks are built like tanks. i have heard of many people cutting away at the rear metal to get some bass in cabin.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributors

im located in central new jersey.

i dont have a ski pass. all i have is a rear folding cup holder. theres nothing that is open between the cabin and the trunk. its sealed like a tank (like u said) the installer mentioned venting the trunk by cutting out some of the rear deck and behind the seat to allow the trunk to vent into the cabin. the bass sounds better with the trunk open, but even so its not hittin hard. i got the standard 4 speakers oem setup. no subs underseat just 4 4's and tweeters

the cost of everthing was this.

2 alpine pdx m6 that i got from the installer which cost me more. 400 each (yes i got ripped)and now that i think about it he said it was the pdx 600.1 are they diffirent. because the noise whine is pretty bad. i thought i was maybe the ground.
1 rockford fosgate oldschool punch 800.4 bought from a freind for nothing because i forgot to pay him
2 sets of 4' mb quart pvf 210
2 eclipse 10s sw 8010 retail for 400 each gottem for sonic for 200 for both
mtx req5 160.00
wires and shit 100.00
install 900.00

i drove to an empty lot and tuned the processor and amps a little and it sounds a tad better but nothing like it should. i truely think the biggest problem is the bass is just stuck in the trunk and cancling out somehow. its not getting into the car at all. like 1200 watts should make the rear view mirror dance. the shit dont even move haha heres some pics... help me.
Attached Thumbnails got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-014.jpg   got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-013.jpg   got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-012.jpg   got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-011.jpg   got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-010.jpg  

got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-009.jpg   got my aftermarket stereo installed-picture-010.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

For what it's worth, the install looks amazing! Sorry the sound sucks.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Contributors

yea im lovin the way it looks and i have total acsses to my spare still. trunks heavy as balls now gonna have to lift my coilovers. anyone have any ideas why the cabin does hit me with bass. kinda sounds like im listing to bass in a car next to me who has some bass. and does anyone know what the cross overs should be set at on the amps?

sub amps? 20hz? 40,60,80,--200hz? i dunno. is it if i set it at 200 it plays everytihng below 200 or if i set at 20 it plays everything over 20?

same goes for high pass amp? where should i set it.?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
yea im lovin the way it looks and i have total acsses to my spare still. trunks heavy as balls now gonna have to lift my coilovers. anyone have any ideas why the cabin does hit me with bass. kinda sounds like im listing to bass in a car next to me who has some bass. and does anyone know what the cross overs should be set at on the amps?

sub amps? 20hz? 40,60,80,--200hz? i dunno. is it if i set it at 200 it plays everytihng below 200 or if i set at 20 it plays everything over 20?

same goes for high pass amp? where should i set it.?
You really need to make a hole onto the back plate of the rear seat. It is pretty easy actually. Or ask the shop to do it. I'm pretty sure it would solve your bass problem . Otherwise the system looks cool.

- Antti -

ps. Check the thread where I'm playing with my stuffed animal .
Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Contributors

Which shop did the install? Not that it has anything to do with your problem, just curious.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Why didnt you get a 3rd alpine amp to match the other 2 amps?

You might want to contact Don @ Exquisite Marketing http://www.exquisitemarketinggroup.com/ he's in Edison and have a lot of experience working with our cars.

Regarding you alternator noise, i recommend getting a msd 8830
Amazon Amazon
It should eliminate the noise.

Quick Reply: got my aftermarket stereo installed