E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The "gap" issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Hi all, I'm looking for other posters experiences on this issue. "The Chang" spoke about a problem that is of concern to me since I am contemplating going down the same road very soon: Installing the Mtech kit, and ending up with the front bumper not being properly aligned with the hood (bonet for you Brit chaps out there He received a reply that told him how to address the problem, but what bothers me is, in my opinion ALL factory parts SHOULD be plug-n-play, including a front bumper designed for that specific car! Please, I would like to here opinions from the more experienced, as well as those who have actually experienced this problem. Am I right in my assumption, or am I being naive?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

FYI- I have a 2008 528 and got the 08 LCI kit from Tony. Although it's factory, the guys at Eurorev still had to work on the front fender to get it to fit.

Also, I bought Hoen fog lamp bulbs for the kit. Apparently, BMW enjoys messing with us. The fog lamp housing of the kit uses 9006 bulbs. The bulbs that come with the kit are also 9006. The old fog lamp bulbs are H8 or something. The harness therefore doesn't fit the new kit's bulbs.

The M5 rear bumper that I got also needs a minor bit of tweaking. And if you look very very very closely, you'll see that there is a very slight fender bulge.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by the chang' post='485225' date='Oct 23 2007, 07:04 PM
FYI- I have a 2008 528 and got the 08 LCI kit from Tony. Although it's factory, the guys at Eurorev still had to work on the front fender to get it to fit.

Also, I bought Hoen fog lamp bulbs for the kit. Apparently, BMW enjoys messing with us. The fog lamp housing of the kit uses 9006 bulbs. The bulbs that come with the kit are also 9006. The old fog lamp bulbs are H8 or something. The harness therefore doesn't fit the new kit's bulbs.

The M5 rear bumper that I got also needs a minor bit of tweaking. And if you look very very very closely, you'll see that there is a very slight fender bulge.
I am probably going to order my kit from BMW of Newport. I don't know a whole lot about modding out these cars so for me, the simpler, the better. I think the oem Mtech looks real slick, and I'm hoping that since it is coming directly from the dealer, and no aftermarket parts will be used, I will not run into this problem. Are my assumptions correct, do you, or anyone else on the board know of anyone who used STRICTLY BMW original parts and hardware, and had this problem?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Contributors

All M-tech kits are OEM ( Original BMW parts ) so ordering from BMW of Newport or from Tony ( Quad_m ) you will be getting original BMW parts from either one of them.

All the parts i used are OEM ( I'm not sure but i don't think there is a Replica M-tec kit available ) and i also had the gap issue with my front bumper but nothing major that a couple of washers didn't fix. ( Method #2 in RodyBMW's instructions )

Good luck modding your car.

Rich
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Guys...I want to put an Z4 hood on my 535i....think it will fit ...JK, having a "character building" kind of day and needed to vent a bit ...good luck on the MTech fitment..but form what I've read here there will be a few areas that don't line up (exactly)...seems everyone making this swap runs into it.