E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

floating brake rotors for 550i

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 AM
ODB
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 550i has 2-piece rotors similar to http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq/Floating_Hub_Brake.jpg

Most sites are steering me toward a solid rotor. Any suggestions on where to buy the OEM-style 2-piece rotors?

Also can I replace just the ring and not the center hat?

Thank you
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Where'd you get the brake system from? You can just replace the rotor and hardware no need to replace the top hat.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
ODB
Members

Thanks - these are the original factory rotors that I'm replacing
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by ODB
Thanks - these are the original factory rotors that I'm replacing

Pics are E39 M5 rotors.

Mike at acute is highly regarded on this forum and there are many happy customers here choosing the r1 one peice.

If you want a oem two peice, it appears esc tuning may have what you need and these are listed as genuine BMW rotors. You can tell they are two peice by the rivets on the side of the hat. Stay away from the zimmermans, heavier and one peice. From what I've read, the genuine BMW rotors are made identical to oem rotors with the main difference they are not spun balanced like the oems. Much cheaper though. Keep in mind these are not floating rotors and you would need m5 rotors/calipers or a expensive big brake kit.

I prefer the two peice largely due to lower weight of the alunimum hat. While it might be minor, I hate the idea of adding any more unsprung weight. The hats will not rust and my oem rotors after 60k still look clean and silver. They also integrate well with the 124 rims with the rounded edges.

I'm trying to find a oem two peice rotor that is drilled and slotted. I got a question in with Bavarian auto about their performance rotors, which are drilled. Since they don't have actuals pics on the website, I'm trying to confirm if these are two peice and styled with the oem hat design. I'm picky. One thing I've confirmed on the web, there are oem bmw performance (drilled and slotted) two piece rotors for the 1 and 3 series cars.

I've also thought of e60 m5 rotors and calipers but this means new rims to fit larger calipers. This complicates things as I'd need to find a lightweight rim to offset some of the added weight of the m5 brakes. Not sure if the m5 brakes would be massively heavier but maybe they are. They do look great.

All that said, if bav auto rotors are two peice and with the oem hat design, it's the best solution for me and good comprise in looks and foregoing the complicated and costly m5 brake route.