E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Few questions about wheels/springs/shocks... for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading few more articles and googling, I want to try the H&R sport springs with either Bilstein SP or Koni Yellow Sport.

Another question for you mod. gurus....
As far as I understand it, Koni Sport have adjustable firmness and Bilstein SP doesn't.

Does adjustable firmness of Koni provide any advantage over Bilstein SP?
At its firmest setting, how does Koni compare to Bilstein? Bilstein is stiffer or Koni is stiffer?

I like the fact that Koni has adjustable ability so that I can adjust it to softest setting when I have passengers in the car and crank it up for those days when I want to be more sporty. Is this the main reason why you guys choose Koni?

Thanks alot .... again.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by apocalypsem3' post='477224' date='Oct 2 2007, 07:30 PM
After reading few more articles and googling, I want to try the H&R sport springs with either Bilstein SP or Koni Yellow Sport.

Another question for you mod. gurus....
As far as I understand it, Koni Sport have adjustable firmness and Bilstein SP doesn't.

Does adjustable firmness of Koni provide any advantage over Bilstein SP?
At its firmest setting, how does Koni compare to Bilstein? Bilstein is stiffer or Koni is stiffer?

I like the fact that Koni has adjustable ability so that I can adjust it to softest setting when I have passengers in the car and crank it up for those days when I want to be more sporty. Is this the main reason why you guys choose Koni?

Thanks alot .... again.
As far as adjustment on the rears its a 1 time deal only. Once mounted with spring thats it. So make sure you like the setting your at on the rear. Yeah the passangers dont like being flung into the windows on every corner, full soft in front is factory smooth and really nice on a daily commute but that doesnt mean you cant take a corner even at full soft the car handles great with good steering input. I forgot what my rear setting was at..hmm have to look that up. For my reason why I went with Koni is flexability you're not stuck with all sport all the time.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Members

After reading more threads and corresponding with Shox.com and Tirerack.com, I think I am going for H&R sport spring and Koni Sport Yellow struts. However, according to Shox.com representative, Koni Sport Yellow in the stiffest setting will be stiffer than Bilstein Sport struts. Also he mentioned that Koni Sport Yellow will give me better handling. Is this correct?

Lastly, will any of the two combos give me better handling + less body roll compared to stock sports package? I hope it at least is on par with sports package.....

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by apocalypsem3' post='478060' date='Oct 4 2007, 05:11 PM
After reading more threads and corresponding with Shox.com and Tirerack.com, I think I am going for H&R sport spring and Koni Sport Yellow struts. However, according to Shox.com representative, Koni Sport Yellow in the stiffest setting will be stiffer than Bilstein Sport struts. Also he mentioned that Koni Sport Yellow will give me better handling. Is this correct?

Lastly, will any of the two combos give me better handling + less body roll compared to stock sports package? I hope it at least is on par with sports package.....
Thanks for your help guys.
You moved away from where it sounded like you wanted to start -- but that is probably a good thing! Bad news is you are starting to catch the mod bug and it is hard to get over. You would be happy with the H&R/Koni combo and shox.com is good to work with if you go through them (it's where I got the same package).

Handling is much better than the factory sport package! I started with the SP and you can't compare them.

I started with the rears in the softest setting and wished I had them a little stiffer. Ended up having to reinstall because of an installation error causing the mount to break, so set to ~30% stiffer the second time and I like it better. I have the fronts at about 50% for the street and it feels well balanced.

To really get to the next level for handling you may also want to upgrade the sway bars since you don't have the SP with ARS (the mod bug never stops).

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Members

yes. I want to do everything to my car now. What is a good sway bars to buy?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

I was looking at just getting M5 sways for the front. Factory parts that bolt in easy.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='478142' date='Oct 4 2007, 06:43 PM
You moved away from where it sounded like you wanted to start -- but that is probably a good thing! Bad news is you are starting to catch the mod bug and it is hard to get over. You would be happy with the H&R/Koni combo and shox.com is good to work with if you go through them (it's where I got the same package).

Handling is much better than the factory sport package! I started with the SP and you can't compare them.

I started with the rears in the softest setting and wished I had them a little stiffer. Ended up having to reinstall because of an installation error causing the mount to break, so set to ~30% stiffer the second time and I like it better. I have the fronts at about 50% for the street and it feels well balanced.

To really get to the next level for handling you may also want to upgrade the sway bars since you don't have the SP with ARS (the mod bug never stops).

Good luck.
Sucks about your mount. Arent they great though.

apocalypsem3 look in the classifieds there are a handful of people selling thier sport springs, save some moo la.