E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

factory roof-rack on my E60 installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by cwohughes' post='429775' date='May 30 2007, 10:26 AM
The car looks outstanding, what's the percentage of tint you have on your windows?
Thanks!
About the tint: there are actually two kinds on my car.
Side windows (all 4 of them) are made with this very special, (apparently) latest and high-tech foil which changes the tone from mirror-like on the top to very light tint on the bottom which is almost completely transparent. Basically how it works: it protects your eyes from the low sun coming on the side (works just like sun-shade on the side - or the double-one like in the new Passat).
This foil also has 99% UV protection certificate and it also consists of some number of special layers, so it both protects from glass-splash in case when it breaks - and it has some security certificate, so it is very difficult to break-in through it for thieves
The rear window however is a "normal" tint, not this gradual one - as these are only available at the moment in certain sizes and the E60's rear apparently is just to wide
But generally, I believe that rear is about 35%, may be a bit more - but I am not sure at the moment, I did not care too much, they took some tests, measured light coming in, temperature in and out at the sun, (or something ) and advised what's best in this case, so I followed whatever they suggested.
The side tint's procentage is hard to deteremine though - as it is gradual.

I can recommend a very good glass-service who did it for me in Poland, but as they have a permanent contract with several car-dealers in the region for whom they quietly do "factory-tint-cars", their possible appointment dates are quite long.
On the other hand, when they do a tint for E60 via BMW dealer - BMW will charge you about 300-400 EUR for the whole car, and when you do it directly at their shop it is about 140 EUR (it is however done in this case with the best foil on the market at the moment, that's why it is so expensive - a "normal" tint they do for about 100 EUR for the whole car, I presume)
And, yeah - they give you also a special conformity certificate (homologation) so you would not have a problem with a technical checkup later on (TUV).
Some people love it, others hate it - for me it is for 2 major reasons:
- temperature inside
- security
The overall look is nice though, too
Old 05-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

car is very nice..

i still think the front chrome grill, plus back trunk chrome strip would finish the car off nicely.

Attached Thumbnails factory roof-rack on my E60 installed-trunk_strip_chrome.jpg   factory roof-rack on my E60 installed-front_grille_chrome.jpg