E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by Alex.br' post='441169' date='Jun 28 2007, 11:00 PM
What about Bruce's cable?
From what I understand Bruce's cable will get them working, but not to LCI specs. I think he is still working on the cable to get them to LCI specs.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='441359' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:53 PM
From what I understand Bruce's cable will get them working, but not to LCI specs. I think he is still working on the cable to get them to LCI specs.
Done!!

I now have a fully functional LCI look cable!! I was so glad to finally get to the end of this project and almost gave up so many times. I've spent a lot of money and time trying to figure this out. The result is nice and small too and doesn't have an external load resistors. Everything should fit inside a small enclosure that I will position in the middle of the cable. I've managed to get rid of all the previous issues I mentioned and although I'm still scratching my head wondering how my circuit works, bottom line is that it does. I'm making my first set to go to Cwest in the US because I'm keen to see that it works on the US spec cars too. European model cables will be a little more expensive than the US models because of the added complexity of the BFD light because it needs twice the number of parts and time too. BFD is part of the part EU taillight where in the US its where the EU fog lights are. However if you want you can opt for the US spec cables and use it on an EU car and the only thing that wont work is the BFD function, which in normal circumstances you will never ever see functioning anyway.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='442267' date='Jul 1 2007, 11:58 PM
Done!!

I now have a fully functional LCI look cable!! I was so glad to finally get to the end of this project and almost gave up so many times. I've spent a lot of money and time trying to figure this out. The result is nice and small too and doesn't have an external load resistors. Everything should fit inside a small enclosure that I will position in the middle of the cable. I've managed to get rid of all the previous issues I mentioned and although I'm still scratching my head wondering how my circuit works, bottom line is that it does. I'm making my first set to go to Cwest in the US because I'm keen to see that it works on the US spec cars too. European model cables will be a little more expensive than the US models because of the added complexity of the BFD light because it needs twice the number of parts and time too. BFD is part of the part EU taillight where in the US its where the EU fog lights are. However if you want you can opt for the US spec cables and use it on an EU car and the only thing that wont work is the BFD function, which in normal circumstances you will never ever see functioning anyway.

WOW!!! That's great news Bruce. CONGRATS

Please, be a little more explanatory about lighting functions/appearance
Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Nick, The appearance is as shown in my previous post but the cable looks completely different. No more unsightly resistors and no more buzzing relays. I'm just now trying to find a good enclosure for the circuit.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=431214

BTW does anyone know if the LED rods in the LCI cars go bright when the brake is applied or do they stay the same brightness.
Also in pre-LCI US cars does the middle bulb always stay dim?

In my previous cables I connected the LED rods to the brake light so they became bright everytime the brake was pressed. But in my new cables I'm thinking of not doing that and instead connecting the LED rods to the taillight which doesn't become bright except on EU when BFD is visible. That way I am using ever light line for something, otherwise if I connect the LED rods to the brake I'm effectively getting rids on the taillight feed completely and its not powering anything. And lastly in pre-LCI cars the brake in the outer bulb but in LCI cars the brake in the middle bulb I think I'll change the wiring to match the LCI cars.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='442288' date='Jul 2 2007, 01:22 AM
Nick, The appearance is as shown in my previous post but the cable looks completely different. No more unsightly resistors and no more buzzing relays. I'm just now trying to find a good enclosure for the circuit.

BTW does anyone know if the LED rods in the LCI cars go bright when the brake is applied or do they stay the same brightness.

In my previous cables I connected the LED rods to the brake light so they became bright everytime the brake was pressed. But in my new cables I'm thinking of not doing that and instead connecting the LED rods to the taillight which doesn't become bright except on EU when BFD is visible. That way I am using ever light line for something, otherwise if I connect the LED rods to the brake I'm effectively getting rids on the taillight feed completely and its not powering anything. And lastly in pre-LCI cars the brake in the outer bulb but in LCI cars the brake in the middle bulb I think I'll change the wiring to match the LCI cars.

Ohh Sorry, I was away last week and didn't read that post! COOL
Old 07-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='442267' date='Jul 1 2007, 01:58 PM
Done!!

Great work Bruce! I am sure there will be many orders for the new cables. +1
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Awesome job Bruce! So what's the price with or without shipping to the US?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

bruce, congrats man...i want one...when is it going to be ready for sale? how much? can you post some pictures of the kit...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='442288' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:22 AM

good one bruce !
the lci rods don't lightup when braking is applied - however I've seen it work on nicke60gre's E60 and I liked it !
anyway are you sure the EU LCI's have the brake light in the middle ?

- how much are you asking for your module BTW ?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributors

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci.jpg

See image from the brochure, hence why I thought the LCI brake light is now the middle light. Infact the middle light is got the biggest area so it makes sense to move the brake to that area. Ofcourse people can ask for it not to be moved if they feel strongly about it. I receive all the parts for my first proper kit tomorrow. I'll then build it and post pictures and then check interest. If I order the parts in bulk I'll get a better price so you will get it cheaper.

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!