E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='435629' date='Jun 14 2007, 02:41 AM
........The LED rods strobing is not visible to the human eye because its happening several times a second.........
Is this the same type of strobing that the original factory installed taillights on the pre-facelift E65 7 series has? I know that I can see strobing on those E65's if I blink my eyes and move my head slightly, but if I'm just looking at it without blinking and while keeping my head relatively still I don't notice the strobing. If your LCI lights strobe the same way that the factory installed OEM lights on the E65 do, then I don't think that it's a big deal at all......actually it looks cool.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='436351' date='Jun 16 2007, 12:43 PM
Is this the same type of strobing that the original factory installed taillights on the pre-facelift E65 7 series has? I know that I can see strobing on those E65's if I blink my eyes and move my head slightly, but if I'm just looking at it without blinking and while keeping my head relatively still I don't notice the strobing. If your LCI lights strobe the same way that the factory installed OEM lights on the E65 do, then I don't think that it's a big deal at all......actually it looks cool.
To be honest I didn't even realise the LED rods were strobing until I tried to take a picture for this thread. Its only visible via the camera because of the sync between the camera and the lights. Similar effect to why computer screens look funny on video.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I tried installing mine and although I have CIP25, I still get the fast flashing on the indicators (and fault indication of course). I don't mean the strobing.

it seems you need 25.01 (I think I have v25.0) not to get the fast flashing on the indicators.

bummer...
Old 06-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Contributors

earlier, i added a capacitor to try to eliminate the strobing on the turn signal light. it gave me a turn signal error and fast blinking for the front. the turn signal light for the rear do not light up. maybe it has alot to do with the cip 24 version i have?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='436597' date='Jun 17 2007, 11:22 AM
earlier, i added a capacitor to try to eliminate the strobing on the turn signal light. it gave me a turn signal error and fast blinking for the front. the turn signal light for the rear do not light up. maybe it has alot to do with the cip 24 version i have?
And this is with the Load Resistor added too? i.e. you added the Load Resistor in parallel with the Capacitor? Or simply tried to add the capacitor in parallel with the LEDs?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='436598' date='Jun 17 2007, 05:42 AM
And this is with the Load Resistor added too? i.e. you added the Load Resistor in parallel with the Capacitor? Or simply tried to add the capacitor in parallel with the LEDs?
yes. the capacitor, load resistor, and leds were all in parallel to each other. that didn't do anything. i connected the capacitor in serie to the turn signal leds, it then gave the error. it is to capture the strobing (when starting the car) and the 3-4 minutes quick flashes.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='436604' date='Jun 17 2007, 12:08 PM
yes. the capacitor, load resistor, and leds were all in parallel to each other. that didn't do anything. i connected the capacitor in serie to the turn signal leds, it then gave the error. it is to capture the strobing (when starting the car) and the 3-4 minutes quick flashes.
I think the load resistor is shorting the capacitor too fast, try a much bigger capacitor in parallel with the LEDs and the load resistor. Problem is that my car doesn't give this strobing or flashing so I'm not able to fix something I can't see myself.

I think at this point I'm going to say that the Relay solution is the best I can come up with for a Plug and play solution. Its not completely solid state but without a clean power line I'm struggling to make a solid state circuit. The only solid state circuit I have made to work has been to take a power line from the High LED brake lights but then you don't have a plug and play solution.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi-Titanium Silver-Black Dakota-Premium Pkg-Cold Weather Pkg-Navigation-Sirius Modifications Comming Soon

I still have these lights (from the group buy) sitting in the box in my garage, does anyone know where I cant get the correct connectors or some type of solution to finally install these? or will i have to wait till september or later (hopefully sooner) to buy the bmw retrofit kit?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by ny530xxxi' post='440262' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:04 AM
I still have these lights (from the group buy) sitting in the box in my garage, does anyone know where I cant get the correct connectors or some type of solution to finally install these? or will i have to wait till september or later (hopefully sooner) to buy the bmw retrofit kit?
What about Bruce's cable?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

If it is true a bmw factory retro-fit kit is due by sept. or by the end of the year. I would wait for that, but thats just me.

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!