E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 Alpine White 525xi

Just got my LCI tails installed last night. Strobing effect and bulb-out warning is here on my CIP 24.xx, 10/06 production E60 (as expected)

May I know what is the size of bulbs/resistors we have to use to get rid the strobeing effect?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Saridi' post='432994' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:15 AM
Just got my LCI tails installed last night. Strobing effect and bulb-out warning is here on my CIP 24.xx, 10/06 production E60 (as expected)

May I know what is the size of bulbs/resistors we have to use to get rid the strobeing effect?
I ended up connected a 21w turning signal bulb(off from original tails) each side as resistor. Everything works fine, and the lci tails look great. Thanks nick, bruce, and everyone who contributed in this thread. Much appreciated.

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-26.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-29.jpg
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote name='Saridi' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:22 PM' post='433717']
I ended up connected a 21w turning signal bulb(off from original tails) each side as resistor. Everything works fine, and the lci tails look great. Thanks nick, bruce, and everyone who contributed in this thread. Much appreciated.

Hey Saridi can you post pic of the tailights on that would be cool .
Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

[quote name='Saridi' post='433717' date='Jun 9 2007, 05:22 AM']I ended up connected a 21w turning signal bulb(off from original tails) each side as resistor. Everything works fine, and the lci tails look great. Thanks nick, bruce, and everyone who contributed in this thread. Much appreciated.
[quote]

Be careful where you hide your 'hidden' bulb or resistor. It gets damn hot and you don't want to burn anything especially because its so close the battery and one of the main fuse boxes on the right. Today I'm experimenting with a few resistors in a attempt to find one that will stay cool enough to be stuck close to lights itself. My relay solution is the only one that produces the true LCI effects. I've managed to dampen the buzzing of the relay but its not gone completely and probably never will because of the AC signal. Once I get rid of the strobing with some capacitors then I'll be in a position to ask people if they want to upgrade to the LCI look cables with the current solution.

Crewst : Are you able to measure the resistors on the aftermarket LEDs? You need a simple ohmmeter and measure between the black and the coloured wires.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

bruce, it's good to hear that you've managed to find a solution in making the lights as per the lci effects ...if it's ready, make sure to let me know, cause i'll be the first in line to buy one from u...
Old 06-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest' post='433772
Hey Saridi can you post pic of the tailights on that would be cool .
[/quote]

I actually took few pics with the lights on, but the results aren't the best.....I am going to take some new pics later today/tonite.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='433797
Be careful where you hide your 'hidden' bulb or resistor. It gets damn hot and you don't want to burn anything especially because its so close the battery and one of the main fuse boxes on the right. Today I'm experimenting with a few resistors in a attempt to find one that will stay cool enough to be stuck close to lights itself. My relay solution is the only one that produces the true LCI effects. I've managed to dampen the buzzing of the relay but its not gone completely and probably never will because of the AC signal. Once I get rid of the strobing with some capacitors then I'll be in a position to ask people if they want to upgrade to the LCI look cables with the current solution.

Crewst : Are you able to measure the resistors on the aftermarket LEDs? You need a simple ohmmeter and measure between the black and the coloured wires.
[/quote]

True, but I don't use the turn signal that often, so it should be fine (I am more worried the resistors I installed with HID foglights, but that's another story...)

Bruce, I'm in if you finalized the LCI look cable. That's gonna be awesome.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cwest : Are you able to measure the resistors on the aftermarket LEDs? You need a simple ohmmeter and measure between the black and the coloured wires.
[/quote]

You know what bruce i already sold the Aftermarket taillights i wish you would have told me ealier. You think Alex can maybe measure one?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Did some more research today. A 15R resistor is also OK and is much cooler than the 6R that I've used so far but a 27R resistor triggers a fault on the computer. Will try with some more values inbetween those too. The 6R is not an issue at all with the Turn signal because its used so rarely but when I'm trying to simulate a load for the Tail lights its on all the time. Managed to get rid of the strobing too by connecting a Capacitor to the LED rods. If I can find a PCB mountable relay then I can mount all components a lot more neatly.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='433908' date='Jun 9 2007, 07:07 PM
Did some more research today. A 15R resistor is also OK and is much cooler than the 6R that I've used so far but a 27R resistor triggers a fault on the computer. Will try with some more values inbetween those too. The 6R is not an issue at all with the Turn signal because its used so rarely but when I'm trying to simulate a load for the Tail lights its on all the time. Managed to get rid of the strobing too by connecting a Capacitor to the LED rods. If I can find a PCB mountable relay then I can mount all components a lot more neatly.
keep up the good work Bruce !

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!