E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marineutter' post='430282' date='May 31 2007, 06:14 PM
Nick; Yes the outer ones of course...:>

Since you have a error message in your onboard computer an yways, what happends if you take out that 'inner' bulb as well?

Have you tried?

Or perhaps the 'leds' will burn up since the resistant cannot cope with the extra power...?

Tried, you will have no braking lights, you will get 4 error messages (instead of 2) and the rods are functioning as normal taillights with no 2Xbrightness when braking.

No problem with the extra power, they are already on 12V line on my car (along with the brake bulbs).
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='430295' date='May 31 2007, 12:41 PM
Tried, you will have no braking lights, you will get 4 error messages (instead of 2) and the rods are functioning as normal taillights with no 2Xbrightness when braking.

No problem with the extra power, they are already on 12V line on my car (along with the brake bulbs).
HI Nick,

What about if we cut the taillight circuit line that power the bulbs for tail lights and place an resistor there? You could keep the bulbs for brake light and get the full LCI look.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex.br' post='430332' date='May 31 2007, 08:41 PM
HI Nick,

What about if we cut the taillight circuit line that power the bulbs for tail lights and place an resistor there? You could keep the bulbs for brake light and get the full LCI look.

Good point, I've been thinking of it, needs a little research, maybe we will lose the brake force display function, but I think it will then shift to the fogs.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my Plugs from Bruce today and it works great with no error messages It does look great on the car, but just wish someone will figure how to get the LCI look with just the rods lite up not with the dim brake lights in the background. I recommand anyone that dont want to hassel with the wiring and just want to plug and play ask bruce. The plugs got to me quicker then expected in the US, it took 7days since the day i sent him the payment highly recommanded
Attached Thumbnails facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_taillights_001.jpg   facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_taillights_006.jpg  
Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest' post='430581' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:26 PM
Just got my Plugs from Bruce today and it works great with no error messages It does look great on the car, but just wish someone will figure how to get the LCI look with just the rods lite up not with the dim brake lights in the background. I recommand anyone that dont want to hassel with the wiring and just want to plug and play ask bruce. The plugs got to me quicker then expected in the US, it took 7days since the day i sent him the payment highly recommanded

It's awesome!Can you upload the pictures with brake and fog?Perhaps to use dimmer resistance can make it perfect!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by andy.yip' post='430634' date='Jun 1 2007, 10:39 AM
It's awesome!Can you upload the pictures with brake and fog?Perhaps to use dimmer resistance can make it perfect!
If you add a dimmer resistor then yes the dim lights will go dimmer but so will the brake lights when you need them. So that's not a good idea. If you can live with moving the brake lights to the fog area and then disconnecting the 2 bulbs behind the LED rods then you will get the LCI look, but you will also get 2 error messages per light i.e. 4 messages at least. My progress on the circuit has been slow because I've been away on business this week. Bruce.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

All thought its not true LCI look, it is 110% better than the old style tail lights. Very nice! I am now very tempted to purchase.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

My first working prototype of the Plug and Play LCI cables. It works very but has a few draw backs.

1. It takes too long to put one together, even at minimum wage it'll cost too much!
2. It used relays instead of my preferred solid state solution that is still work in progress.
3. I think the relays will break down as is because they are buzzing with the AC component in the signal.
4. Uses 3 resistors which get very hot.

However it is plug and play, no modifications to any of the original cabling and no errors on the computer.

See the results below.

Normal taillight or DRL setting
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-dsc00042.jpg

With brake lights
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-dsc00043.jpg

With brake and a low exposure to show that I've switched the Brake to the middle like in the LCI models. The outer light is now the BFD light.
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-dsc00044.jpg

The cable that I used. The US version will be slightly less complex because of the lack of the fog light and the BFD being in place of the fog light.
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-dsc00048.jpg

There is still a lot of work to be done before a version that I can resell is released. But atleast I've proved that its possible to do it without recoding the car and without changing any of the wiring on the car or modifying any parts.

What I did notice while clicking the photos is that the LED rods are actually strobing but extremely fast so the human eye can't see this but because of the sync between the camera and the light I saw this. Also the turn lights are strobing once about 4-5 mins again its hard to catch it but its there. Need to think about how I'll get rid of those issues.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Members

Excellent work Bruce! Keep us posted on the progress, but I think you've done a cracking job there!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Contributors

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-resistor.jpg
Anyone who bought the aftermarket LED taillights that were available a few months ago. Need to know if the resistors are a single unit or multiple resistors in one big heatsink. I remember someone mentioning that it was a much bigger heatsink (see picture)

My design needs 3 resistors and I can't avoid that. Just wondering if there was a neater part available where all 3 resistors are connected to a single heatsink. The resistor will get very hot and that is normal because they are behaving like bulbs. Any ideas?

Also is there any strobing of the turn light?

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!