E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what is the value good for?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Members

I just wired that lever back (see Rizbel's pic above) and took a ride around the block. I noticed a difference right from startup! Much throatier with a rumble. Also big difference on the downshifts (SMG)....Cool! Thanks.

No difference at full throttle (when the lever would have been back anyway).

I wish there was a dash switch to control the lever.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Rizbel' date='Sep 11 2004, 11:51 PM
530E60NL Posted on Sep 8 2004, 12:09 AM
I pulled of the rubber hose that creates a vacuum to close the valve. I pushed a golfpin in the rubber hose so I wouldn't get a faultmessage from my car. When you do this your flap stays open all the time ...
To the contrary, this caused the flap to stay closed. I noticed the right pipe has exhaust only when I manually push the lever to the left side of the car (simulating vacuum with hose still connected.) Can anyone experiment on this.

I safety-wired it so that it stays in the open position. Leave the vacuum hose plugged. I was going to drive and listen for the sound difference but with my hearing loss (due to working around helos on the flight deck in my line of work) I will need another body.
Aha this is some good info for JDN.. On my 330 it opened up when the vacuum hose was not on it.. It worked with a spring or something..
Old 09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Members

I am curious if others have tried opening their valve and their opinion. I would like to compare a recording of the exhaust note with the valve open and closed and against realityman's soundtrack. I will also keep tabs on my mileage.

I wonder if the 645 has this valve ?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Welcome aboard GEARS5. Have fun with your new ride but be gentle for the first 1.2K miles . I know its hard but those miles will just zoom by in no time.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:15 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 13 2004, 03:14 PM
[quote name='Rizbel' date='Sep 11 2004, 11:51 PM'] 530E60NL Posted on Sep 8 2004, 12:09 AM
I pulled of the rubber hose that creates a vacuum to close the valve. I pushed a golfpin in the rubber hose so I wouldn't get a faultmessage from my car. When you do this your flap stays open all the time ...
To the contrary, this caused the flap to stay closed. I noticed the right pipe has exhaust only when I manually push the lever to the left side of the car (simulating vacuum with hose still connected.) Can anyone experiment on this.

I safety-wired it so that it stays in the open position. Leave the vacuum hose plugged. I was going to drive and listen for the sound difference but with my hearing loss (due to working around helos on the flight deck in my line of work) I will need another body.
Aha this is some good info for JDN.. On my 330 it opened up when the vacuum hose was not on it.. It worked with a spring or something.. [/quote]
Just inspected and looks like tying it off will need a pair of vice grips and some stout wire or something. I have what it takes except for the time right now. Going to run down to a Chuck Norris book signing for a MA nephew. What this will do is to open the second pipe all of the time. I hope my result will be the same as that of GEARS5. BTW, welcome, GEARS5. Enjoy the camraderie.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
JDN
Contributors

Put a temporary fix on it by clamping it open with a 6" set of vice grips. It is still hooked up to the vacuum hose, but does sound different at idle. Not sure it will be enough, but will check out as good as I can on the way to the book signing with my copilot sitting alongside. <_<
Old 09-13-2004, 05:10 PM
JDN
Contributors

As, GEARS5 said there is a little throatier sound. However, to hear it inside the car, you have to really get the revs up. You just hear it sooner with the flap clamped open than shut. Now, I am wondering if a muffler shop opened up one side of the mufflerst and gutted it, what would it sound like? Boths sides?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

JDN, how does it sound around 1200 - 1500 rpm under load? In the upper revs it is most likely open (or at least "more" open).
After a few days of evaluation, I'd have to say that unless you are looking to hear the car alot then really consider what you are doing if you are looking to do an aftermarket exhaust (not specific to JDN ). If you'd like a "little" more sound then maybe the valve trick will do it. Just be sure that you are looking for Sound before doing an exhaust mod. Once again, I am NOT complaining but it IS louder than I expected. :'(

BTW, 4 days and the wife still hasn't figured it out (the car rolls really well in Neutral ).
Old 09-13-2004, 07:19 PM
JDN
Contributors

It's more of a resonance at that speed if I can hear it at all. Cannot hear the individual cylinders firing as with a real mod. If I did not know I had the valve locked open, I wouldn't know I had the valve locked open. The wife never figured it out until I told her why I gunned through the first two gears from a traffic light. She didn't complain -- took it like a real trooper, I just thought I owed her an explanation.

So, you're still pushing it out of the driveway. Come on. She won't really peel your onion, will she?

Quick Reply: Exhaust question.