E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

european clear headlight reflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 28 2005, 10:44 AM
This is the very reason I hope the new M3 is priced upwards of $70,000.? It may not sell well for BMW at that price, but for those who buy one, it makes ownership that much more enjoyable, in my opinion.
[snapback]176361[/snapback]
...if i may inquire why you would feel it would make owning one more enjoyable??? because you pay an unwarranted premium , does that make it more enjoyable to drive???
im sure BMW would be happy to hear this, but how do you justify throwing money away like that, do you not work hard for yours, or even at all???

dont mean to pounce, but this is trully what i do not like about certain mindsets, especially around the M community, ...M does not mean Money, it means Motorsport, and the higher the premium, the less the true enthusiast population has access to these cars
...nicely equipted E60s can easily cost more than 70K, though i would not think that the members in this community think any less of any other owner, or feel that they wish BMW would not sell as many E60s so that they may enjoy their ownership even more...

...anyone willing to pay 70K for an M3 IS a poser, imho :thumbsdown:
Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by m630' date='Sep 28 2005, 09:43 AM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Sep 28 2005, 10:44 AM']
This is the very reason I hope the new M3 is priced upwards of $70,000.? It may not sell well for BMW at that price, but for those who buy one, it makes ownership that much more enjoyable, in my opinion.
[snapback]176361[/snapback]
...if i may inquire why you would feel it would make owning one more enjoyable??? because you pay an unwarranted premium , does that make it more enjoyable to drive???
im sure BMW would be happy to hear this, but how do you justify throwing money away like that, do you not work hard for yours, or even at all???

dont mean to pounce, but this is trully what i do not like about certain mindsets, especially around the M community, ...M does not mean Money, it means Motorsport, and the higher the premium, the less the true enthusiast population has access to these cars
...nicely equipted E60s can easily cost more than 70K, though i would not think that the members in this community think any less of any other owner, or feel that they wish BMW would not sell as many E60s so that they may enjoy their ownership even more...

...anyone willing to pay 70K for an M3 IS a poser, imho :thumbsdown:
[snapback]176391[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe you can be a "true" enthusiast no matter what value your car is or what your assets are. You can even be a fan of motorsports and not own a car.
Also, I wasn't implying that a more expensive car gives one the right to "think any less of any other owner". That was your own personal projection.

There are people who take pride in owning something when they know that something isn't widely available or is limited. All I was implying is an enjoyment of owning something with rarity.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Sep 28 2005, 09:43 AM
...anyone willing to pay 70K for an M3 IS a poser, imho? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]176391[/snapback]
Let me turn this back around and ask...

When was the last time a German manufacturer sold a car with over 400HP under $70,000?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributors

like i said, i dont want this to be taken as a personal attack, but M3's will never be a rarity, neither will the M5 for that matter...BMW sells performace cars, but not specialty cars, ...they are not Ferrari's or Lambos or Bentlys (though i see these damn things all over as well now)... if an M3 was a rarity, it would have to be double the price because the cost per unit would have to rise significantly.

..my whole point was that BMWs for the most part are not cars that have very limited production, in fact the M3 sells like crazy, ...even if it was 70K, about the same numbers would be purchased, because for a large part of the ownership community, they are purchased by the fathers of weathly kids to show up to HS in, ...so even if it went up, they'd still be able to buy it, and all that this would accomplish is putting the hardworking enthusiast that much further away from their dream car...jmho
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

neither will the M5 for that matter

M5s are still rare.... why else would I have been on a waitlist for almost 1 year already, just to get one.... and now that they're shipping, I'll probably have to wait another year before my name is up.

Certainly, they are not as rare as a Farrari... but they are rare. And I like that about them.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Sep 28 2005, 04:19 PM
neither will the M5 for that matter

M5s are still rare.... why else would I have been on a waitlist for almost 1 year already, just to get one.... and now that they're shipping, I'll probably have to wait another year before my name is up.

Certainly, they are not as rare as a Farrari... but they are rare. And I like that about them.
[snapback]176537[/snapback]

...if you want one now, you should check on M5 board, there are several members who's dealerships are offering them as many potentials have passed up on it at this time...

look at wolverine, he only got on a list earlier this year and his car is on the way as we speak...and yes, they may be rarer than the E60, but it is relative, i know in NYC metro area they will be everywhere, and im sure they will be all over the place in the major metro areas...remember, something like every 5th E60 on the line will be an M5, so that would be 20% of yearly production potentially, and they sold over 220,000 E60s last year(worldwide), so that adds up to 40,000+ production per year...ferrari in it history has not made this many cars...its not rare at all, when you look at it by the numbers...
Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Sep 28 2005, 01:57 PM
..my whole point was that BMWs for the most part are not cars that have very limited production, in fact the M3 sells like crazy, ...even if it was 70K, about the same numbers would be purchased, because for a large part of the ownership community, they are purchased by the fathers of weathly kids to show up to HS in, ...so even if it went up, they'd still be able to buy it, and all that this would accomplish is putting the hardworking enthusiast that much further away from their dream car...jmho?
[snapback]176526[/snapback]
I hear what you're saying. Cool.
We may have to revisit this thought sometime down the line once sales figures are available.

For what it's worth, I remember the e39 M5 releasing at over $80,000 USD (including dealer premiums). A German built sport sedan with over 400 horses. Had me turning my head 180-degrees everytime one drove by. Still do today, but like back then, didn't see very many. Even more scarce back in '98-'99.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 28 2005, 06:23 PM
I hear what you're saying.? Cool.
We may have to revisit this thought sometime down the line once sales figures are available.

For what it's worth, I remember the e39 M5 releasing at over $80,000 USD (including dealer premiums).? A German built sport sedan with over 400 horses.? Had me turning my head 180-degrees everytime one drove by.? Still do today, but like back then, didn't see very many.? Even more scarce back in '98-'99.
[snapback]176584[/snapback]
...and i agree, everytime i see an M5, i still turn my head...and i cant wait to see E60 M5s, and the E63 M6...i love these cars, i just dont care anymore if i have one and some else has one too..i kinda like the mutual appreciation of great cars