E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Electrical Conections-Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, the dealer has informed my and BMWNA confirmed that there is a know problem with using the 12v outlets in the car (from dash or rear console) to power any device through the AUX stereo input. That said, before I spend big bucks getting a hard wire setup, is there any easy way to connect to a power source besides the 12v outlets?? I was assuming if I connect device direct to the fuse box or even battery, that the problem (interference) would be eliminated. Am I kidding myself and it would not make a difference.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by GADGETEMT' post='478080' date='Oct 4 2007, 06:01 PM
Hi, the dealer has informed my and BMWNA confirmed that there is a know problem with using the 12v outlets in the car (from dash or rear console) to power any device through the AUX stereo input. That said, before I spend big bucks getting a hard wire setup, is there any easy way to connect to a power source besides the 12v outlets?? I was assuming if I connect device direct to the fuse box or even battery, that the problem (interference) would be eliminated. Am I kidding myself and it would not make a difference.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

These "add-a-fuse" devices work well to pick up power at the fuseblock without cutting into the vehicle wiring. Honestly not sure why there would be less interference though, the outlets are also going back to the fuseblock.
Attached Thumbnails Electrical Conections-Help Needed-21xpfazzdbl._aa250_.jpg  
Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Maybe the difference is on the ground side not the power side. The outlet ground wire would be spliced into a common grounding point with other devices which likely wouldn't be a clean as a dedicated ground you would use for hardwiring.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Members

thanks, actually I am using the power to supply a sat radio receiver. Just like your roady (hard wired).
Will try and run wires all the way to the battery connection under the hood (where you jump the car). Likely that is the most solid point to connect. If that works, I wil try and work from the main fuse box.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by GADGETEMT' post='478146' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:51 PM
thanks, actually I am using the power to supply a sat radio receiver. Just like your roady (hard wired).
Will try and run wires all the way to the battery connection under the hood (where you jump the car). Likely that is the most solid point to connect. If that works, I wil try and work from the main fuse box.
I have mine powered off the underdash outlet with no problem, but unfortunately I don't have an aux input, so using the FM modulator. I'm assuming you already tried the outlet and are getting interference (otherwise at least give it a shot).

The current draw is so low on a sat radio receiver I would try to find an switched circuit to tap (like the green/yellow wire that most of us with hardwired radar detectors have used). If you go to the underhood battery connection it will not be switched so you will have to remember to turn it off.

Btw, I think all of the circuits in the glovebox fuseblock are battery fed and only the ones in the rear are switched. That's why I just ran mine to the outlet.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Members

Thanks again, the unit actually works fine (albeit-poor sound quality) via the FM modulator. When properly set up with the aux input it's great. I tried all three 12v outlets - 1 in dash and 2 in rear of center console. Might try the 12v power cord that plugs into the flashlight spot in the glove box though.. My thought is that what ever I tap into, it will be switched, just meant to run to battery to see if elliminated problem.