E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Few questions about wheels/springs/shocks... for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello everyone. Need some guidance/advice on changing wheels.

My car: I have 2004 e60 without sports package.

What I want to do: Put on 19'' wheels and lower the car.

Concerns: I want to lower the car, but not super low. Maybe to the height of cars with sports package or a little bit lower. I would like to maintain the ride quality of my car and I don't want too much harshness. My concern is that (from what I have read), just changing out springs to Eibach/H&R/Bavarian Autosports springs will cause excessive wear/tear on the shocks/suspension. Plus it will void warranty on the suspension parts from BMW.

Questions:
1.What springs will enable me to keep the ride quality of the car, but lower the car and enhance handling as well? From what I know, Eibach/H&R/Bavarian Autosports are my choices (not too expensive and popular)

2.Is there any way to not void the warranty? I was thinking maybe putting on sports springs from e60 with sports package.

3.Is it recommended that I switch out the shocks as well when I lower the car?

4.If so, which shocks are recommended? I saw Bilstein shocks on Bavarian Autosports website. How are these compared to others?

5.Lastly, Is it a possibility to ask BMW to change the spring/shocks with OEM sports package parts so that warranty is not voided? Does anyone know the estimate price for this change? I am sure it will cost a lot more than going with aftermarket parts.

Thank you very much guys.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

1.What springs will enable me to keep the ride quality of the car, but lower the car and enhance handling as well? From what I know, Eibach/H&R/Bavarian Autosports are my choices (not too expensive and popular)
I've had good luck wih H&R Sport Springs in the past. This will lower your car approximately 1.3F / 1.2R

2.Is there any way to not void the warranty? I was thinking maybe putting on sports springs from e60 with sports package.
It's certainly an option. In some cases it depends on your SA / dealer. On my e39, they didn't hassle me regarding my lowered suspension. Luckily I never had any suspension problems either. My first SA actually loved the look, so he was cool about it.

3.Is it recommended that I switch out the shocks as well when I lower the car?
If you're going to instally H&R Sport Springs or something similar, I would suggest to go ahead and switch out your struts at the same time. You can continue to use your stock shocks, but they will wear prematurely. If you're going to pay for labor to install new springs, might as well save some labor money and install struts at the same time.

4.If so, which shocks are recommended? I saw Bilstein shocks on Bavarian Autosports website. How are these compared to others?
In the past, I paired H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Struts.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Members

Please excuse my ignorance and "newbieness", but when you say Bilstein Sport Struts, you mean the Bilstein shocks that BavAuto has on their site?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can install OEM M-sport struts as well, for a balanced lowered ride ...sporty but not so harsh like with Bilstein.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='476742' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:30 AM
You can install OEM M-sport struts as well, for a balanced lowered ride ...sporty but not so harsh like with Bilstein.
How much are the OEM M-sport struts?
Do I switch out the springs and then add M-sport struts?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Mod bargains gave me a good deal on koni's and springs. I have the same car you do , if you get springs save up for struts. I reccomend the Koni's Sport adjustables. As far as voiding a warranty struts are a wearable item , they will have to be replaced regardless. Go to Tire Racks website and read the test results they did on a 330i with stock sport, koni adjustables and Koni FSD.

I agree with mrfva, knock it out in one shot, why get the car aligned twice, and pay twice the labor.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by apocalypsem3' post='476738' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:41 AM
Please excuse my ignorance and "newbieness", but when you say Bilstein Sport Struts, you mean the Bilstein shocks that BavAuto has on their site?
Yes, BavAuto has the "Bilstein Sport" shocks,
Fronts: VE3 A965 / Bilstein Front Shock - Sport / $219.95 ea.
Rears: BE5 A966 / Bilstein Rear Shock - Sport / $109.95 ea.

As mentioned, OEM sport shocks will also work. You might want to shop around and compare prices with places such as Shox.com, Tirerack.com or Mod Bargains.

-frank
Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Members

Any opinions on Koni or Bilstein struts?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM
JPJ
Contributors

I wouldn't be too hung up about warranty. Most dealers / SA's are pretty cool. This is my second newer BMW with a modified suspension. My SA was at a track day with me this year (dealership was a sponsor). He got my brake pads replaced under warranty the week before.

My suggestion based on what you are looking for is Koni FSD struts paired with Eibach Pro-kit springs. This will give both better handling and ride than the factory sport package. Not as far to the sporty side as I like, but sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Tirerack.com has a good review of this package plus comparisions with other struts and springs.

Eibachs are generally considered to be a little softer than H&R sport (at least for E60's). For struts, the Bilstein sports have a reputation for being a little more stiff that Koni sports (but I really can't speak from experience). I've been happy with Konis on 3 cars so I stick with them. Since you don't have the sports package I would certainly suggest upgrading the struts with any new springs (plus on a 2004 they are probably worn anyway).

Try shox.com -- I've used them several times with good results and prices.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Members

Thanks alot guys. I will look into struts as well as springs.

Quick Reply: Few questions about wheels/springs/shocks... for a newbie.