E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ehssan's Orion mod with blackout

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Ehssan, my guess is that the F10s you are seeing out there have halogen headlights and not xenon. The xenon headlights' angel eyes are pretty bright, similar to Orions. The thing I don't like about them though, is they look purple-ish unless viewed straight on.

Also, something interesting to add. You mentioned the surrounding shroud for the xenon headlights' chrome wipes off... actually, it doesn't. I am guess that it did for you is because it's hot like hell out there and pretty much melted away the paint, lol.
That shroud and surrounding paint seems to be what's stuping everyone
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by spediegunz
That shroud and surrounding paint seems to be what's stuping everyone
I am not concerned with that part, since I am removing the lens to replace it with the clear lens -- though Ehssan did mention it was a huge pain in the ass. So I can just paint the surround with no issue.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

I am not concerned with that part, since I am removing the lens to replace it with the clear lens -- though Ehssan did mention it was a huge pain in the ass. So I can just paint the surround with no issue.
Did u notice the b4 pic is Chrome and the after pic was black with white lettering on the shroud
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Did u notice the b4 pic is Chrome and the after pic was black with white lettering on the shroud
I believe that's actually part of the lens. There is no writing on the shroud part.

Also, I just started to disassemble the lens, and noticed the shroud is easily taken off. There are three tabs holding it, two on top, and one at bottom. It pops out pretty easily.

The pic below shows what it looks like without the shroud.
Attached Thumbnails Ehssan's Orion mod with blackout-img_1757.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

I believe that's actually part of the lens. There is no writing on the shroud part.

Also, I just started to disassemble the lens, and noticed the shroud is easily taken off. There are three tabs holding it, two on top, and one at bottom. It pops out pretty easily.

The pic below shows what it looks like without the shroud.
oh goody get plenty of practice so when mine come you'll already be a wiz at it, btw r you doing this and a learning experience or you working on someone elses lights
Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

simon, lets stay in contact over the next two days....i just tested my Orions to make sure they power up...im good to go. i ran to 5 different radio shacks to gather up 12 white LEDs (two extras just in case) and a soldering gun (this is my first time soldering anything in life, wish me luck). ive also go my paint, dremel too, frosting paint, nite-shade paint, 600 grit sand paper....i mean im locked and loaded!

about to take out the headlights in 3....2....1.....
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Contributors

oh goody get plenty of practice so when mine come you'll already be a wiz at it, btw r you doing this and a learning experience or you working on someone elses lights
Heh, I have done this many times before already. The only thing that is new to me is taking apart the shroud, and the lens. This set I am working on, I am still waiting for a part to arrive, so I am in no rush thus far.

Originally Posted by umichchris
simon, lets stay in contact over the next two days....i just tested my Orions to make sure they power up...im good to go. i ran to 5 different radio shacks to gather up 12 white LEDs (two extras just in case) and a soldering gun (this is my first time soldering anything in life, wish me luck). ive also go my paint, dremel too, frosting paint, nite-shade paint, 600 grit sand paper....i mean im locked and loaded!

about to take out the headlights in 3....2....1.....
Hah, I am going to be somewhat busy the next two days. Do you have a LED tester? I am guessing not. If you know how to use a multimeter, I would recommend you to test each of those Radio Shack LEDs. There are two different kinds of "white" LEDs for Radio Shack, warm white, and cold white. Warm white is yellowish white, and cold white is blueish white. The part numbers are the same, and it's just a QC issue. You obviously want all of the same color, cold white preferred, as it matches the Orions.

It's rather unfortunate, but my guess is that you'll have to be extremely lucky to get 12 of the same colors. When I did my first one two years ago, I ended up having to buy 24 LEDs just to get 11 cold white LEDs. The last one, I was too tired and say F' it. Anyway, good luck to you. I am sure you'll learn/find that you'd rather someone else to do it, lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

crap! i had no idea...any thoughts on what kinda of store id find an LED tester? i could go pick one up tomorrow while i take things apart and begin my painting portion of the mod...

i just searched on radio shack's website and found nothing...
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ricapar
You kidding me? I've been seeing F10's all over the place here, and their angel eyes look absolutely stunning. It's like two perfect super bright Oo oO's coming at you.
Ehssan is 100% right, they are bright but they do have 2 little dots at the bottom where the LED shines into the ring.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
crap! i had no idea...any thoughts on what kinda of store id find an LED tester? i could go pick one up tomorrow while i take things apart and begin my painting portion of the mod...

i just searched on radio shack's website and found nothing...
Yeah, LOL. I actually mentioned this several times in the Ultimate Eyebrow thread. Looks like you didn't do your reading, hahaha.

As for LED tester, sorry dude, I am not sure where locally. I actually bought mine online. A multimeter would work too if you know how to use it.

Quick Reply: Ehssan's Orion mod with blackout