E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Earthquake SWS 8xi

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

anyone replace these with their stock subwoofers? I have L7 sound system, im hoping replacing these without running an amp will give me some improvement over the stock L7 subs. These are 2 ohm impedence, meaning they could be used with the stock car amp.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What is the power wattage of the Earthquakes? The 4ohm versions used to be 150W and so you needed an amp to drive them. If you drive similar wattage sub with your stock L7 amp it will struggle to even move the cone and you will get worse bass than you are getting now.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='872004' date='May 8 2009, 03:26 AM
What is the power wattage of the Earthquakes? The 4ohm versions used to be 150W and so you needed an amp to drive them. If you drive similar wattage sub with your stock L7 amp it will struggle to even move the cone and you will get worse bass than you are getting now.
Yes but isn't it true that the L7 system uses 55w for speakers and 125w for the subs. I remember reading this in e90 post.com. If that is soN wouldn't one be ok with just a straight swap.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Contrary to popular belief, the amp needs to be higher rated than the speakers to drive them well. Anything else will put a load on the amp and won't sound nice.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Contributors

The L7 drives all the speakers so if you are planning on using an after market amp you are going to have to take the output of the L7 amp and run to through a LOC or an amp that takes High inputs and then drive the new earthquakes from the output of your new AMP.

Before you buy the Earthquakes, buy the amp and try driving the L7 subs with the new amp at a slightly higher gain. You may then decide you don't need the earthquakes.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

yes i am also thinking of getting an aftermarket amp before the subs, 300w RMS sound good? Should i just tell my installer to replace the stock L7 sub amp with the one i will purchase? My guess is the higher power and ability to choose lower crossover will help the L7 subs sound better, deeper.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

so what Bruce has told me is one amp powers the speakers and the subs. In that case, i would need a 5 channel amp?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

im just updating this thread so people with similar issues can see a resolution.

Bruce stated that i would only need a 2-channel amp to drive the subs, while keeping the old factory amp, powering the speakers. Basically, if i have this down correctly, all i have to do is take out the sub inputs from the stock amp into the new aftermarket amp. simple enough
Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Contributors

What wiring are you using between the new amp and the earthquakes? Because if you are using the factory wiring itself then you will need to make a Y connector wherein you take the speaker outputs from the L7 as, use them as inputs to you new amp and then the output of your new amp will go back into the car's wiring to the subs. All the other wires will just need to be connected through between the two plugs.

I can draw a little picture if it helps.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='872092' date='May 8 2009, 08:12 AM
What wiring are you using between the new amp and the earthquakes? Because if you are using the factory wiring itself then you will need to make a Y connector wherein you take the speaker outputs from the L7 as, use them as inputs to you new amp and then the output of your new amp will go back into the car's wiring to the subs. All the other wires will just need to be connected through between the two plugs.

I can draw a little picture if it helps.
im still waiting on the parts to arrive, in the meanwhile which sub should i get, the 2-ohm or 4-ohm. Im guessing getting the 2-ohm sub with the setup you provided will yield more power.

Quick Reply: Earthquake SWS 8xi