E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

mObridge converter to convert the fiber optic signal, then go to audison bit one or other similar oem integration unit.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just installed the 2 x 8" earthquake subs under the front seats and a larger amp in the boot, the sound is increadable compared to the stock system. it is a must have on an e60, i would recommend it to any one. i got the subs in america and shipped them to australia cause i couldn't find them is here. the sound quality is just unspeakable. this should be everyones first mod.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: [B]2010 BMW 528i[/B] - [SIZE="1"][I]Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, ZPP, ZVP, Navigation, iPod Adapter, Heated Front Seats, Fold Down Rear Seats[/I][/SIZE]

I have a 2010 528i with the standard audio system. I too think that the sound leaves a lot to be desired and am looking at upgrading the speakers. Does my car come with subwoofers? I moved the drivers seat all the way forward to take a look and found something that looks like a speaker grill (see included photo). Is this where the subwoofer is?
E60 Stereo Upgrades-photo.jpg
Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1053958' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:42 AM
does anyone have pics/descriptions/info of the stereo mods they have done. the stock system is SOOOOO weak! i was thinking of using an Audio Control line converter to break into the stock system, since it is so intrinsic to the car, and use standard amps, speakers etc from there. perhaps another option would be to tap into the low level signal that comes from the head unit into the stock amps. these wires should be easily recognizable as they are most likely shielded with a center conductor. but not sure about that.

hopefully this smartass 545i of mine won't be able to detect that anything changed. i wouldn't be surprised if an alarm popped up saying " WARNING WARNING..STOCK SPEAKER FAILURE..SHUTTING DOWN CAR...YOU WALK NOW! lol.

i'm fairly sure there are mb quart or focal component sets that can be used in the stock speaker locations with minimum mods. since i have my own machine shop i know i can make whatever brackets, bezels etc that are required to do it right.

no way i would let a local shop do it, most of those guys are butchers and would not have a problem gouging a sheet rock screw into my nice car, i've seen'm work before and it was scary! and they usually break half of the friction fittings they ever touch. i'm sure there are very skilled pros out there, i just don't know any that i trust.

please share any info you can think of.

thanks

I recently did a major stereo upgrade, and I am having major problems with the car afterward. Active Steering Malfunction due to a "hardware fault" in the AFS control module. BMW says I must replace the module. Cost = $1700. While we do not know whether or not the stereo is the direct cause of the fault, the timing of the failure (upon delivery of my car from the stereo shop) is OBVIOUSLY suspect. My part is on order now, and I plan to replace the module late next week. I will report back to let everyone know how it goes.

What I can tell you is this..... The E60 is not just a car. It is a computer on wheels. A very temperamental computer, at that. Anything you do which interacts with the electrical system in this car can potentially have adverse effects on the various components. I am very hopeful that we are able to fix my Active Steering and continue to use my new stereo system. Otherwise, this might be one of the most expensive mistakes I have ever made.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='1055110' date='Nov 15 2009, 04:20 AM
I recently did a major stereo upgrade, and I am having major problems with the car afterward. Active Steering Malfunction due to a "hardware fault" in the AFS control module. BMW says I must replace the module. Cost = $1700. While we do not know whether or not the stereo is the direct cause of the fault, the timing of the failure (upon delivery of my car from the stereo shop) is OBVIOUSLY suspect. My part is on order now, and I plan to replace the module late next week. I will report back to let everyone know how it goes.

What I can tell you is this..... The E60 is not just a car. It is a computer on wheels. A very temperamental computer, at that. Anything you do which interacts with the electrical system in this car can potentially have adverse effects on the various components. I am very hopeful that we are able to fix my Active Steering and continue to use my new stereo system. Otherwise, this might be one of the most expensive mistakes I have ever made.

can you detail the mods that were done. obviously more than just a speaker upgrade. i'd like to know so i don't make the same mistake.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CodeTitan' post='1054761' date='Nov 14 2009, 04:31 PM
I have a 2010 528i with the standard audio system. I too think that the sound leaves a lot to be desired and am looking at upgrading the speakers. Does my car come with subwoofers? I moved the drivers seat all the way forward to take a look and found something that looks like a speaker grill (see included photo). Is this where the subwoofer is?
Attachment 94319
Yes, those are the 8" subwoofers, one under each seat. I believe there are two sound system options in the states, Hi-Fi (called standard in the US) and "Top Hi-Fi", also called "L7". Both systems have the under-seat woofers; I have seen it stated that the woofers in the L7 are different (better quality) than those in the standard, but both systems have under seat subs.

I do not believe you can get an E60 in the states which does not have the under seat subs.

I previously owned a 2006 525i with standard audio. I upgraded the speakers (MB Quart) added amplification for all channels, and added a 12" in the trunk. I also applied an active crossover and turned the under-seat woofers into mid-woofers, leaving the >80Hz to the trunk sub. After extensive tuning, I was quite pleased with the system.

I now have a 2007 550i, CPO, with L7. I was surprised at how poor the audio system is. After working with it, I wonder if all the cabin speakers are blown. I have added a 12" in the trunk and added amplification for all 9 channels (Front Left, Front Right, Center, Rear Door Left, Rear Door Right, Rear Deck Left, Rear Deck Right, under-seat Left, under-seat Right). I have also added an active crossover to help with the tremendous gap in the lower mid-range.

I have ordered a set of MB Quarts for the rear deck, a set of MTX TX4001s for the front doors, and am still thinking about what to do for center and rear doors (small coaxial maybe?).

Anyway, the L7, to this point, has been very disappointing. In my opinion, an upgraded standard audio can easily surpass a stock L7 system.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=78252&hl=
Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by methodsound
The L7 system is called the "top HI-FI ". Below that system is the "Hi-Fi" and below that is the basic ( basic not available in US market ). The easy way to tell is if you have rear door speakers, if yes then L7 Top HI-Fi. The regular HI-FI option does have front subs but does not have a center channel or rear door speakers. Also in the tone setting on your radio the L7 logo would appear in the surround setting menu.

I have a German 535D from late 2007 with stock European sound, i.e. the true basic. Will the BSW upgrade you outline fit that version or are you talking about an upgrade to the US standard version, which really is the 2nd level, i.e. HI-FI option in Europe?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by CodeTitan
Attachment 94319

Yep, thats your 8" sub....one under each seat. I did the Sub/Amp upgrade, plus I replaced my rear deck speakers with some MB Quarts and it made a world of difference. I didnt mess with the front doors since I didnt want to screw around with taking off the door panels and all that mess, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

so you are using standard 4 ohm speakers driven by the HU? how does it sound compared to the stockers?

i'm gearing up to do 4 mb quart qm100's (old school) driven off the HU for now and sws8 subs with amp. i'm working on the adaptor plates right now to put the mb's on the same hole pattern as the oem speakers. i had to procure a rotary stage for my mill to do it right.

i've compared the resistance of the oem (3.1 ohm) and mb (3.0 ohm),i know this is not the actual impedance but if they're that close how could it freak out the HU?

as can be seen in the pics the qm100's are exactly the same height of the oem speakers.

i got a brand new set of 4 qm 100s on ebay for 80 bucks, some guy on there is working with maxxsonics and is liquidating all the old mb quart inventory. he threw in 2 pairs of comp level x-overs for 40 bucks too. i've got 4 mb quart RTC 19 tweeters as well.

very soon Mr. Lifeson's guitar will sound correctly once again.

look for a post in the future called "poor man's BSW speaker upgrade", except this upgrade is with german made speakers!
actually i'm not poor, just a cheap b*st*rd

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Yep, thats your 8" sub....one under each seat. I did the Sub/Amp upgrade, plus I replaced my rear deck speakers with some MB Quarts and it made a world of difference. I didnt mess with the front doors since I didnt want to screw around with taking off the door panels and all that mess, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails E60 Stereo Upgrades-adaptor_plates.jpg   E60 Stereo Upgrades-dsc02054.jpg  

Quick Reply: E60 Stereo Upgrades