E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

does anyone have pics/descriptions/info of the stereo mods they have done. the stock system is SOOOOO weak! i was thinking of using an Audio Control line converter to break into the stock system, since it is so intrinsic to the car, and use standard amps, speakers etc from there. perhaps another option would be to tap into the low level signal that comes from the head unit into the stock amps. these wires should be easily recognizable as they are most likely shielded with a center conductor. but not sure about that.

hopefully this smartass 545i of mine won't be able to detect that anything changed. i wouldn't be surprised if an alarm popped up saying " WARNING WARNING..STOCK SPEAKER FAILURE..SHUTTING DOWN CAR...YOU WALK NOW! lol.

i'm fairly sure there are mb quart or focal component sets that can be used in the stock speaker locations with minimum mods. since i have my own machine shop i know i can make whatever brackets, bezels etc that are required to do it right.

no way i would let a local shop do it, most of those guys are butchers and would not have a problem gouging a sheet rock screw into my nice car, i've seen'm work before and it was scary! and they usually break half of the friction fittings they ever touch. i'm sure there are very skilled pros out there, i just don't know any that i trust.

please share any info you can think of.

thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Members

What's wrong with the stock system, I think it's fine. Unless you want to roll around like those kids pumping the base and permanently damaging their ears :-P How much louder do you what?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JW-BENZ' post='1054050' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:33 AM
What's wrong with the stock system, I think it's fine. Unless you want to roll around like those kids pumping the base and permanently damaging their ears :-P How much louder do you what?

it has nothing to do with being loud (and i DO NOT listen to rap music), it has to do with quality. spend 15 mins listening to a good system, then go back to your bmw stock system and you'll hear the difference. the stock system has so many holes in its frequency spectrum.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: '95 525iTA '97 328iC '07 525xi

I agree. Our '07 525 stereo has no definition to it. My daily driver (the '95 525iTA) sounds great however. Even at low volume you can hear each part (provided I have a good recording to start with).

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1054063' date='Nov 13 2009, 01:43 PM
it has nothing to do with being loud (and i DO NOT listen to rap music), it has to do with quality. spend 15 mins listening to a good system, then go back to your bmw stock system and you'll hear the difference. the stock system has so many holes in its frequency spectrum.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

I have the Logic 7 and still, to me, there is so much lacking in the system. Its muddy and the bass response is awful. I've heard that the BSW speakers make a nice improvement but I'm not sure if they do enough to justify the cost. Also, I'm not sure if BSW makes a kit for the Logic 7 systems because the only thing I've seen is for the base stereo.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1054088' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:20 AM
I have the Logic 7 and still, to me, there is so much lacking in the system. Its muddy and the bass response is awful. I've heard that the BSW speakers make a nice improvement but I'm not sure if they do enough to justify the cost. Also, I'm not sure if BSW makes a kit for the Logic 7 systems because the only thing I've seen is for the base stereo.

Thoughts?

i was thinking about that BSW system, it has to be better than the stockers.... seems like the big deal about the BSW is that its a drop in replacement, same screw pattern etc.

i doubt it would compare to MB quarts or focal though.....a 5-1/4 component set from either could easily be shoehorned into the stock locations. i wonder how much power the stock amp can deliver..not much cleanly i suspect. also to be considered is interference with the window mechanism. i haven't been into my doors yet, so its all speculative at this point. the rear deck would be an easy mod. i plan to use a single 10" sub mounted in the trunk eventually, but i want to deal with the highs first.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

How far are you willing to go to get good sound?

The factory speakers are a specialty fit so for a simple basic upgrade I would suggest the BSW door, dash, and rear shelf speakers. Then add the Earthquake 8" front sub upgrade with a new sub amp. And a larger sub in the trunk if necessary on top of that. This upgrade would help with clarity and response. You would still use the L7 amp for everything but the subs.

The main issues with the factory system is the raspy aluminum midrange cones, and the muddy bass from the factory subs. Those 2 issues would be fixed with my basic upgrade I mentioned. To go a bit further and achieve a reference quality system with a centered image and a high wide soundstage you would need a sound processor with time alignment and amplifier channels for all your speakers. That takes your car to a whole new level but the cost goes up dramatically.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1054139' date='Nov 13 2009, 12:47 PM
How far are you willing to go to get good sound?

The factory speakers are a specialty fit so for a simple basic upgrade I would suggest the BSW door, dash, and rear shelf speakers. Then add the Earthquake 8" front sub upgrade with a new sub amp. And a larger sub in the trunk if necessary on top of that. This upgrade would help with clarity and response. You would still use the L7 amp for everything but the subs.

The main issues with the factory system is the raspy aluminum midrange cones, and the muddy bass from the factory subs. Those 2 issues would be fixed with my basic upgrade I mentioned. To go a bit further and achieve a reference quality system with a centered image and a high wide soundstage you would need a sound processor with time alignment and amplifier channels for all your speakers. That takes your car to a whole new level but the cost goes up dramatically.

i'm actually embarrassed to admit that i don't know if i have the L7 version or not. i bought the car used with 34k miles on it, was a CPO car. what is an easy indicator? i would guess that it just the basic 10 speaker version, since the sound quality is so bad, but not certain.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

The L7 system is called the "top HI-FI ". Below that system is the "Hi-Fi" and below that is the basic ( basic not available in US market ). The easy way to tell is if you have rear door speakers, if yes then L7 Top HI-Fi. The regular HI-FI option does have front subs but does not have a center channel or rear door speakers. Also in the tone setting on your radio the L7 logo would appear in the surround setting menu.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1054187' date='Nov 13 2009, 02:08 PM
The L7 system is called the "top HI-FI ". Below that system is the "Hi-Fi" and below that is the basic ( basic not available in US market ). The easy way to tell is if you have rear door speakers, if yes then L7 Top HI-Fi. The regular HI-FI option does have front subs but does not have a center channel or rear door speakers. Also in the tone setting on your radio the L7 logo would appear in the surround setting menu.

ok thanks, i do not have the L7 logo, but i do have underseat subs. there is a center channel grill, but i don't know if there is a speaker in it. i'll check it out tonight when i leave work.

Quick Reply: E60 Stereo Upgrades