E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e60 OEM windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i in the mod process, I love my baby

Hey guys, any of you know where i can get an OEM e60 windshield? I got a nasty crack on it and was just wondering if any of you have had yours replaced.. I live in Paramount, CA..
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I noticed mine is PPG, so the first owner must have had it replaced at some point... I'm not sure about your area, but maybe try SafeLite
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Last time I had to replace a windshield was on my 2002 E39, I called the dealer and asked who did their installation. You can then call the installers and see what they'll charge you to install OEM, chances are, at least in my case, they'll buy the OEM windshield from the dealer. My biggest cocern was air-leaks, so I made sure the installer was aware and to hopefully do a good job. A replacement windshield will probably never sealed the same as a factory installed windshield so you can only hope for the best. A week or so later, a fairly good size rock hit my newly installed windshield (loud boom inside the cabin), but it didn't crack, I can only attribute it to the fact that I bought a good quality OEM windshiedl.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Since in my state front windshields are free under comprehensive insurance, I asked the dealer for recommended places since I don't have to pay anything out of pocket. I had my windshield replace 2x in one year (nasty little rocks). PPG is a BMW manufacturer and so is Pilkington. Just go with the aftermarket window which will most likely be Pilkington. Just make sure you give them your VIN or let them know you have rain sensor at least and tinted glass. The only difference is you do not get the BMW etched logo. Last replacement was about 5 months ago, and they gave me an M5 windshield by mistake I assume. It's anti-glare so when outside looking in you can't see in it too much because it looks a bit silverish. loving it. Check your windshield cowl if that's dry or cracked might as well by a new one and have them put that on when they replace the windshield. They do it free and it's a $40 part.

Funny thing, Pilkington is one of the so-called inventors of modern day glass. the arabs invented techniques of glass flatening and blowing long before Pilkington. Perhaps it was the "safety" glass that made them big

Nonetheless, i've had 5 Pilkington windshields and all good. I know PPG is OEM too because my hard convertible top for my E85 is PPG and has BMW logo etched on it. I have seen Porsche and Audi with Pilkington and their stamps on it. Either is good. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Members

I just had my windshield replaced after getting hit at 80 mph with a 3x3 ft chunk of plywood that flew off the top of a semi on the highway. Insurance would only pay for an aftermarket windshield, which didn't have the same tinting as the OE. I insisted on a BMW windshield that turned out to be a Saint Gobain Sekurit (43R-004720), which cost about $100 more than the non-OE part. My original E60 windshield was not Saint Gobain, I think it was Pilkington. Whatever it was, it was good enough to keep the plywood missile from entering the cabin, which I have no doubt saved me from some serious injury. Any good auto glass installer will be able to get the OE windshield, if you are willing to pay the additional cost over what insurance (if covered) will pay.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Members

I had to deal with a cracked windshield, it took a little work to get done the way I wanted. Mostly because I was naive about how the process works, I suppose. I took it to the dealer first. They gave me a pretty good price compared to normal dealer work pricing, but it turned out that was way over what the insurance folks would go for. As I looked at it more closely, it was the labor factor that was the sticking point. The insurance folks want you to use SafeLite or someone like that, those folks have contracts with the insurers, charge rock bottom labor and make it up on volume.

So I asked around a little bit and found out that the dealers don't do the installation work, they have an installer they all work with. I called that guy directly, and he did the job for me at a price the insurance would cover. He knew BMW windshield installations cold, and he knew how to make the case to the insurers to get OEM glass approved - basic factors were almost brand new high-dollar vehicle, original windshield had embedded rain sensor and tint. Took him a couple of days to get it cleared with the insurance, a few days to get the OEM glass ordered through the dealer, and then he came to my house and did the work there. Did a great job.

So, it can be annoying but I got a good result.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Sports, Navigation

Originally Posted by josecebreros
Hey guys, any of you know where i can get an OEM e60 windshield? I got a nasty crack on it and was just wondering if any of you have had yours replaced.. I live in Paramount, CA..
I live in Orange County. I just replaced my windshield from Advance Auto Glass (http://www.windshields.com/windshiel...5_Reviews.html). Actually I tried to remove the windshield cover DIY and cracked the windshield. I called Irvine BMW and they said $1600. Called up insurance, they said no Dealer and no OEM glass. So shopped around untill I found Advance Auto Glass. They said they will bill the insurance for aftermarket glass but will give me a OEM glass with BMW symbol itched on it and rain sensor. (Aftermarket glass wont have BMW symbol and wont have the rain sensor, they will actually reuse your old rain sensor). They even replaced my Windshield cover, Cowl Panel, as well as Wipres I asked them to just give me the wipers in the box as my old wipers were very good. And I only had to pay my insurance deductible.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by csrajput
I live in Orange County. I just replaced my windshield from Advance Auto Glass (http://www.windshields.com/windshiel...5_Reviews.html). Actually I tried to remove the windshield cover DIY and cracked the windshield. I called Irvine BMW and they said $1600. Called up insurance, they said no Dealer and no OEM glass. So shopped around untill I found Advance Auto Glass. They said they will bill the insurance for aftermarket glass but will give me a OEM glass with BMW symbol itched on it and rain sensor. (Aftermarket glass wont have BMW symbol and wont have the rain sensor, they will actually reuse your old rain sensor). They even replaced my Windshield cover, Cowl Panel, as well as Wipres I asked them to just give me the wipers in the box as my old wipers were very good. And I only had to pay my insurance deductible.
Nice!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

do a search on the internet, "windshield quote Los Angeles county". put in your info and get a quote in your area, that's how I got my best quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

I used SafeLite Auto a few years back. They came right to my house, used my same rain sensors and only had to pay my deductible from my insurance company, $250, The cost would have been $750+

Quick Reply: e60 OEM windshield