E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 Backup Camera Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E60 Backup Camera Question

Hello Guys,

Been lurking around the forums and have gotten myself interested in adding a backup camera to my E60. I found lots of posts regarding the backup camera but am unable to find out any clear install instructions regarding the connection.

Does anyone have any experience or have any threads bookmarked that can show me how to properly connect the camera unit to the Idrive? I have an 05 E60, Pre-Lci | No Nav (mask Unit).

Routing the cables can be done, I am just not sure where to connect the AV into the back of the Idrive Screen/unit. I have seen the camera on Modmynav and am most likely going to pick up a simple aftermarket camera instead.

No coding should be required as well. (Is the multimedia interface box required for this to function in my case?)

Thank you!

(any thoughts on this? 97 10 BMW 5 Series E39 E60 E61 E60N CCD NTSC Car Backup Rear View Reverse Camera | eBay)

Thanks!

Last edited by bymer; 08-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have this one and I know a few that have modmynav units as well. I'm not aware of the camera working without a control module such as one of these. On this one from the UK, you can make them a low offer and they will return with a better price. You can locate the instructions on their site.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Members

Hey Tony thanks, did you mean to include a link for me to look at, sorry I do not see anything I can open up. I thought this was plug N play as long as you are able to wire it up behind the I drive, guess you need the ACM kit for the camera to work.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

tony probably meant to include a link to this or something similar.
BMW iDrive Video Multimedia Rear Camera Interface 3 5 Series E60 E90 x5 E70 UK | eBay
a back up camera is definitely not plug and play. you will need some sort of multimedia unit installed for it to work. i personally would get a camera that replaces the trunk handle and not one that goes on the license plate light.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Members

Thanks mo, understood. I thought it was much easier than that. I was thinking you would just find the proper pin locations on the back of the Idrive unit and connect the camera into those sockets (splice or crimp) and when the reverse signal gets turned on, the video display gets overridden to display the camera thats all. Can never be too simple I guess!

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yeah thanks Mo, not sure what happened there....
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport package, Sport transmission

It's been a few weeks, so I don't know if you've already made your purchase, but if not I wanted to throw in one more suggestion. I've seen a lot of the e60s with scraped up front bumpers. The 550i I had was scraped up by its previous owner and I didn't want that to happen to my M5, so when I ordered the backup camera, I also ordered the front facing camera. I had it mounted in the grill opening so that I could see curb stops when I pull in to parking spaces. When a curb stop hits the bottom of the nav screen, I know I'm about six inches away. It's not much more money to add the front camera at the same time, and it goes into the same interface, so I feel it's money well spent. Here's mine:
Name:  IMAG0188_zps9e253a8b.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by qurtrn10
It's been a few weeks, so I don't know if you've already made your purchase, but if not I wanted to throw in one more suggestion. I've seen a lot of the e60s with scraped up front bumpers. The 550i I had was scraped up by its previous owner and I didn't want that to happen to my M5, so when I ordered the backup camera, I also ordered the front facing camera. I had it mounted in the grill opening so that I could see curb stops when I pull in to parking spaces. When a curb stop hits the bottom of the nav screen, I know I'm about six inches away. It's not much more money to add the front camera at the same time, and it goes into the same interface, so I feel it's money well spent. Here's mine:
Glad to see another person from Jacksonville here! Nice car! Which camera did you install and where did you have it installed?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

Where's the camera ??
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport package, Sport transmission

Originally Posted by Dishoom
Glad to see another person from Jacksonville here! Nice car! Which camera did you install and where did you have it installed?
Thanks man. I went with the setup from ModMyNav, and had it installed at Daddy-O's on Atlantic. They did a great job, was very quick, and pretty inexpensive.

Originally Posted by almandee26
Where's the camera ??
It's in the lower grille. You have to look carefully to see it. This angle might make it easier to spot:
Name:  IMAG0190_zpsa08d2701.jpg
Views: 3030
Size:  76.2 KB

Quick Reply: E60 Backup Camera Question