E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e60 550i Mods Step One

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012 | 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by N1a1
Awesome man- thanks for the close up of the wheels they do look amazing I went with the 19" spiders and red caliphers combo on my one. Plus your looks clean as hell- no sign of any rust
I think you made the right choice the non fogged lights compliment your wheels nicely by keeping that dark/light balance on your car. I'm also hearing you on the reasoning behind the choice. Drives me crazy when I see someone trying to make a non m5 look like a replica. Your car on the other hand my friend is going to be one kick ass unique beast.

The other chap would made the comment about not going for an M5 because of gas prices. Dude if you ever see the gas prices in the UK you would be jumping straight into a prius
hahaha....I STILL would not buy a Prius. And yeah, the non fogged looks a LOT better to me too. Did you see the pics with the fogged? Just did not look clean at all. Cost me a bunch to replace the LCI lights because the other ones were painted tint. My body shop guy talked me into them and they just didn't fit the look of my car. They would look great on a diff color scheme, just not mine. I'll just sell them for half price or something I guess. Thanks for the compliments man! Post some pics of yours. Sounds sweeeeeetttt!
Old 06-25-2012 | 12:08 PM
Members

Nice car! I relate to the crazy mod addiction and this thread makes me want to do a 5 speed conversion with the Dinan flywheel & clutch. Los Angeles Westside just isn't the place for it. Can I talk myself out of it???
Old 06-25-2012 | 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwade
Nice car! I relate to the crazy mod addiction and this thread makes me want to do a 5 speed conversion with the Dinan flywheel & clutch. Los Angeles Westside just isn't the place for it. Can I talk myself out of it???
hahaha...not once you start thinking about it you can't!
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: remapped & modded E60 525d
Model Year: 2006

Let me say that your car inspires me totally. A week ago i was trying to imagine how would M5 F10 rims would look like on my E60... Not anymore! Very nice setup you have, The only thing i would change is the rear bumper for dual exhaust and an Eisenmann exhaust. This would be for me the cherry on top of the pie.

Some days ago i was just thinking if I should reply and tell you to get rid of that black tint on the taillights but I guess that i was charmed by the wheels )
Old 06-26-2012 | 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dj_rzn
Let me say that your car inspires me totally. A week ago i was trying to imagine how would M5 F10 rims would look like on my E60... Not anymore! Very nice setup you have, The only thing i would change is the rear bumper for dual exhaust and an Eisenmann exhaust. This would be for me the cherry on top of the pie.

Some days ago i was just thinking if I should reply and tell you to get rid of that black tint on the taillights but I guess that i was charmed by the wheels )
Hey thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate the kind comments. Fully agreed on those tail lights. They just did not look right from the day I got them. Neither did the smoked side markers. Perhaps on a different color car but not mine. I also agree on the rear bumper and exhaust. I absolutely love the Hamann rear diffuser with the quad exhaust. Only problem is that I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Dinan exhaust. It is a PERFECTLY tuned exhaust for the 550i. It is not raspy nor does it ever drone. It is a nice throaty rumble that makes your car sound like a finely tuned machine. It is classy vs. cheesy. So I am stuck with that dilemna. I have contacted Dinan to see if I could run a second pipe out of the muffler like Hamann does. If I can figure that out it will be custom done and the Hamann diffuser will be ordered!

Btw...I a going to be taking those wheels off as soon as my new 20" HRE P43SC set arrives in the next week or two hopefully. I was not crazy about the F10 wheels at first. Then I dropped the car on the Dinan suspension and they looked a little better. Then I added the Hamann kit and I REALLY like them. Oh well, had already ordered the HREs. It is going to look even sweeter but I could have save a TON of $. Ah...mod fever...it will break you.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 06-26-2012 | 04:14 PM
Senior Members

A few more recent pics of the build.

Waiting on the mailman to bring me a few little things and she will be done! (for now at least...uh....maybe....prob not...never really done modding I guess )

Quaife 3.46 LSD (3 weeks)
UUC Short Shifter (3 weeks)
20" HRE P43Sc (1-2 weeks)
Attached Thumbnails e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0177.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0173.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0196.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0208.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0219.jpg  

e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0174.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0201.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0187.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012 | 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: remapped & modded E60 525d
Model Year: 2006

If i look now, i observe that our front end is almost identically. I have my lip waiting to be painted
I also suggest to get some carbon emblems for your car. If you are considering this, you can find them on ebay , get the 3 for trunk\hood\steering wheel. Don't get the 7pcs set with those for the center caps of wheels because don't fit right. I lost 2 of mines and I had to order 4 adhesive carbon caps stickers to put it on top of the original wheel caps so this way is perfect fit now.
PS: I see that you are also into tech modifications, that's a very nice thing, i wish i could do it but it's a diesel and more than a chiptuning and a exhaust doesn't worth the hassle.

Old 06-27-2012 | 06:17 AM
Senior Members

I thought about the carbon but I like the OEM emblems on my color car. Also, the HRE wheels will have the HRE emblem which I think looks pretty nice.It gives it some BMW authenticity. The M-Tech kit was on my car stock (it's a sport).
Old 06-27-2012 | 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by ColdList
Without having to spell it out again, let me just repost what I wrote in another thread...

Oh I was waiting for that comment. I looked at a lot of M5s in making the decision to mod this one out. Frankly, I couldn't find one that I liked as much as my car. I ordered it custom from the factory and it has everything I want (colors, 6M, interior options) and honestly I love it. Also, when I am done it will be one pretty darn custom car-unique look and performance. Money is not really the factor. It is a fun thing for me. I have the ability to scrap it all and still go out and buy an M5 for cash but I don't have the interest in doing so. I'll probably buy one next time if I can find the package that I want. I looked at the new f10 550i and it does absolutely nothing for me-nothing against it, just not my preference. Could have bought a Porsche too but there are things that don't appeal to me there either. Fact is, I LOVE my car and I prefer to end up with a car that has everything that I like, I know the history of it (being the original owner), and it is pretty darn original in the end. Heck, I may add a supercharger if I get the itch sometime down the road. For now, I like having a nicely modded 550i. Something cool about modding these "i" cars. There are some VERY VERY VERY nice ones on this forum. Many of them have been a big inspiration for me and the mods I am doing on my car. I love seeing what everyone has done. This and the sharing of knowledge is what makes this forum so great in my opinion. For me, it has become a cool and fun hobby. And at the end of the day, when the Quaife LSD is added in the next few weeks, it will solidly run sub 5s 0-60, it already is slightly below 5 but should drop to mid 4s with the diff, which is fast enough for me (at least for now). Anyway, I love the "i" cars. Can't beat the ride and comfort and you can sure make them run well and look SWEET!

btw-no bs. I think it looks better than ANY e60 M5 that I have seen in my community. LOTS of AWESOME ones out there and on this forum, just none that are "standouts" in my city. When and if I do one, mine will be.

...I do think that is such a silly thing to say. It would be like looking at a guy in a Porsche and saying "you should have bought a Ferrari", or like seeing a guy in a tricked out Harley and asking why he didn't just buy a sweet BMW bike. It is all about preference and likes. For me it has ZERO to do with the money. If that was the case I would have just bought one and tricked it out. Like I say above, the car is very much fast enough (as I am assuming you mean buying an M5 because of speed) and with the Quaife LSD it should be a little rocket (and a very unique one). I am extremely happy with it. When the time comes I'll likely get an F10 M5, as I am sure it will eventually grow on me, but for now I am good with the 550i for sure. I don't know exact cost. Prob somewhere in $25K range all in total. With the HRE wheels at $8K then it is prob quite a bit more. I'll be posting pis when they arrive in a week or two.
Nice car dude and I have to agree with you. Many of us get attached to our car and ordered my car and did the Euro pick up.

As for the M5, I thought of getting one. Pricing was attractive. But concerns about extra maintenance costs and repairs made me shy away. Plus, the very low gas mileages makes M5 less useful as a daily driver. The poor mileage of M3 made me pause on that too. I like long road trips.

Znod used to run 5 flat on his autobox 545. So maybe the auto rear end gives you a nice boost.
Old 06-27-2012 | 05:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Jezzzzzz dude what a nice build good for you bra!!

Quick Reply: e60 550i Mods Step One