E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e60 550i Mods Step One

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012 | 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by west
Hahah. Gotta love the mod-snowball effect.

How do you like the laser-jammers? Is there a way to measure their performance in day-to-day driving? I went with the Passport 9500 shifters and got pulled over by a LEO with a Lidar Pro III gun. The laser jammer usually goes off when I get shot with laser but wasn't sure if Passport didn't cover Lidar or if he cited me without getting my speed. Does your system protect against Lidar?
Yeah, I did a lot of research on them (as much as was available) before getting the Laser Interceptor. It seemed like pretty much hands down the best protection for Lidar. Reviews like these are a few years old and who knows how accurate Jammer Testing.

I actually got stopped by a state patrol using Lidar last week. My Bel detector went off but my Laser Interceptor did not. Problem was there was a very similar looking 335i in front of me the shifted lanes right when I got hit. It was so confusing that the cop said he wasn't really sure either and he let me off with a warning. We figured the Bel picked up splatter where the LI won't. Had my Bel go off the other day too when my LI did not. I just had it installed and not tested. I also noticed that the install was done with the front shifters not being perfectly level. They are slightly downward so I am having them adjusted when it goes in to have the UUC Short Shifter and 3.38 Differential installed next week. I did call LI after the first incident and they walked me through how to test if the shifters were detecting correctly with the use of a TV remote. It is not a test of the install as far as angle of shifters and jamming but it did tell me that the sensors were active as they should be since they identified the remote as "Unknown Gun". I am going to try to locate someone on laser detector and jammer forums with guns who can test my install. LI tells me there are quite a few people in Atlanta who have them and will be more than willing to help. I will post results if I ever actually do test it.
Old 06-24-2012 | 06:06 AM
Members

Hey really enjoying this thread you have a really great ride. How are the Mods going? Can you do some close up pics of your wheels/rims/caliphers please? Also have you done anything with the front lights? Changed from yellow to white? Unless yours were already Xeon?
Keep up the work guys you vehicles look amazing
Old 06-24-2012 | 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by N1a1
Hey really enjoying this thread you have a really great ride. How are the Mods going? Can you do some close up pics of your wheels/rims/caliphers please? Also have you done anything with the front lights? Changed from yellow to white? Unless yours were already Xeon?
Keep up the work guys you vehicles look amazing
Thanks! Actually I just switched the tails and side markers back to the orig clear instead of the tinted that you see here. Also added the Hamann front lip/side skirts/rear wing. See the thread "ColdList Dinan 550i Build" for a bunch of pics. Here are a couple of the wheels/calipers. I am actually waiting on new HRE P43SCs to arrive in the next week or so and these wheels will be coming off.
I actually had bought these and weren't crazy about them but now with the Hamann kit on and the lights back to clear I like them. Oh well, I will LOVE the HREs. As for the headlights they are already Xenon.
Attached Thumbnails e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0204.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0205.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0188.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-imag0172.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012 | 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Do you have problems with the front lip rubbing? I had one on mine and I swear it rubbed just about everything imaginable... Was afraid I would rip the entire bumper off the car! Your car looks quite low and was curious about this. BTW, your car looks amazing!
Old 06-24-2012 | 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Do you have problems with the front lip rubbing? I had one on mine and I swear it rubbed just about everything imaginable... Was afraid I would rip the entire bumper off the car! Your car looks quite low and was curious about this. BTW, your car looks amazing!
Yep I sure do have trouble-lol! I got it all installed on Thursday and I came home and pulled in my driveway just fine with a couple inches of clearance. Then when I wen to leave going out forward the darn thing will NT make it. I scraped the underside (not visible unless you look from underneath the car). I now have to back out of my driveway all the time. Oh well...I like the look of it so I will deal with it. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 06-24-2012 | 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

With all these engine mods, doesn't it make more sense just to get the M5? If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on already?
Old 06-24-2012 | 04:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
With all these engine mods, doesn't it make more sense just to get the M5? If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on already?
Without having to spell it out again, let me just repost what I wrote in another thread...

Oh I was waiting for that comment. I looked at a lot of M5s in making the decision to mod this one out. Frankly, I couldn't find one that I liked as much as my car. I ordered it custom from the factory and it has everything I want (colors, 6M, interior options) and honestly I love it. Also, when I am done it will be one pretty darn custom car-unique look and performance. Money is not really the factor. It is a fun thing for me. I have the ability to scrap it all and still go out and buy an M5 for cash but I don't have the interest in doing so. I'll probably buy one next time if I can find the package that I want. I looked at the new f10 550i and it does absolutely nothing for me-nothing against it, just not my preference. Could have bought a Porsche too but there are things that don't appeal to me there either. Fact is, I LOVE my car and I prefer to end up with a car that has everything that I like, I know the history of it (being the original owner), and it is pretty darn original in the end. Heck, I may add a supercharger if I get the itch sometime down the road. For now, I like having a nicely modded 550i. Something cool about modding these "i" cars. There are some VERY VERY VERY nice ones on this forum. Many of them have been a big inspiration for me and the mods I am doing on my car. I love seeing what everyone has done. This and the sharing of knowledge is what makes this forum so great in my opinion. For me, it has become a cool and fun hobby. And at the end of the day, when the Quaife LSD is added in the next few weeks, it will solidly run sub 5s 0-60, it already is slightly below 5 but should drop to mid 4s with the diff, which is fast enough for me (at least for now). Anyway, I love the "i" cars. Can't beat the ride and comfort and you can sure make them run well and look SWEET!

btw-no bs. I think it looks better than ANY e60 M5 that I have seen in my community. LOTS of AWESOME ones out there and on this forum, just none that are "standouts" in my city. When and if I do one, mine will be.

...I do think that is such a silly thing to say. It would be like looking at a guy in a Porsche and saying "you should have bought a Ferrari", or like seeing a guy in a tricked out Harley and asking why he didn't just buy a sweet BMW bike. It is all about preference and likes. For me it has ZERO to do with the money. If that was the case I would have just bought one and tricked it out. Like I say above, the car is very much fast enough (as I am assuming you mean buying an M5 because of speed) and with the Quaife LSD it should be a little rocket (and a very unique one). I am extremely happy with it. When the time comes I'll likely get an F10 M5, as I am sure it will eventually grow on me, but for now I am good with the 550i for sure. I don't know exact cost. Prob somewhere in $25K range all in total. With the HRE wheels at $8K then it is prob quite a bit more. I'll be posting pis when they arrive in a week or two.
Old 06-24-2012 | 08:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

If that is what you enjoy do it. But the comparison of a Porsche and a Ferrari is not the same as a 550i and an M5. that is like comparing a Honda Civic to BMW M3. enjoy it. i know the reason I did not purchase an m5 was because of the MPG. i couldn't justify paying $600 a month in gas. that was my reasoning behind it. I was wondering what yours was.
Old 06-25-2012 | 01:00 AM
Members

Awesome man- thanks for the close up of the wheels they do look amazing I went with the 19" spiders and red caliphers combo on my one. Plus your looks clean as hell- no sign of any rust
I think you made the right choice the non fogged lights compliment your wheels nicely by keeping that dark/light balance on your car. I'm also hearing you on the reasoning behind the choice. Drives me crazy when I see someone trying to make a non m5 look like a replica. Your car on the other hand my friend is going to be one kick ass unique beast.

The other chap would made the comment about not going for an M5 because of gas prices. Dude if you ever see the gas prices in the UK you would be jumping straight into a prius
Old 06-25-2012 | 03:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
If that is what you enjoy do it. But the comparison of a Porsche and a Ferrari is not the same as a 550i and an M5. that is like comparing a Honda Civic to BMW M3. enjoy it. i know the reason I did not purchase an m5 was because of the MPG. i couldn't justify paying $600 a month in gas. that was my reasoning behind it. I was wondering what yours was.
The point was that it was about preference. I was not trying to make absolute comparisons. Also was not trying to be nasty. Sorry if ti came off that way. Questions and answers are what these forums are about. I appreciate your feedback. And a GT2 RS will outrun most Ferraris.

Quick Reply: e60 550i Mods Step One