E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dropped, not slammed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, V! Coming together well ... finally!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I just noticed this!
Congratulations V, the car looks great!

- Antti -
Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Thanks guys!

The suspension is supposed to have settled by now - put on about 500 miles on the car since install (long-dist trip past weekend is about 80% of that). The back still sits noticeably higher than the front though. The crashing over anything but the smallest bumps and potholes on NYC roads is beginning to get to me. Next time around, I'm definitely not trying to achieve two things with one car. I'm getting a dedicated "moddable" and a comfy DD, that'll soak up these roads' "imperfections". But for now, I simply love the new handling limits. The tires I have on right now aren't really that awesome, so once the 19's go on, it will be far out, man. The only bad thing - I'm not gonna be able to drive the friggin' thing on any of the roads in this city I SSSSOOOOO hope they get to fixing those potholes already!!!!!

I've noticed a slight knocking in the front left corner under loads - hope it is something simple, like re-torquing the nuts. Hope John's partner - Leo can find an hour for me this coming Friday to go over it. After that, I'll go back to the alignment shop and make sure it doesn't need to be aligned again.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

V.

Not to rain on your parade on waiting for the rear to settle ... 500 miles? I've been 27K for almost 3 yrs on the same H&R springs and the rear stay as is.
The only way to bring it down the rear is to 'cut' (not recommended) them as all sport spring are geared toward 'rake' (or touring car) look.

Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

V, load some heavy HIFI machinery in the trunk --> problem solved.

- Antti -
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530xi Space Grey / Dark Grey Sport pkg, Sun screens, Navi, 30% tint, HID Fogs, RDash license plate lights, LED Reverse lights, 6000k AE's, 20s Glossy black 128 wheels

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Just updating with some pics from this morning to show how it is settling. The front is noticeably lower now and it even got me so paranoid, that I started emailing the vendor, re-checking orders and making sure the right parts were ordered and delivered. I'm guessing - "guestimating" - that the rear will take a little longer to settle, simply because the front axle's weight resides almost directly over it, whereas the rear weight is more spread out and will take longer to affect the settling. Worst case - I might have to swap the rear dampers out, IF it does turn out that the parts are wrong (which so far does NOT seem to be the case). I'll await impatiently. Got a long drive (about 600-700 miles) planned this weekend, so hope that will help.

Here's a side-view from this morning:
Attachment 119141

I fingered the front and the rear on camera for a good measure (pardon the pun ):

Front:
Attachment 119142

Feel like dropping my XI after seeing this! NICE!!

Rear:
Attachment 119143
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
V.

Not to rain on your parade on waiting for the rear to settle ... 500 miles? I've been 27K for almost 3 yrs on the same H&R springs and the rear stay as is.
The only way to bring it down the rear is to 'cut' (not recommended) them as all sport spring are geared toward 'rake' (or touring car) look.

Enjoy!
I am not cutting the springs No way!

I'll put on the rims when the potholes start getting fixed and then I'll see. If it really bothers me, I'm gonna have to figure smth out. But I'm kind of liking the way it looks. I parked next to my neighbor's RWD 530i with sport suspension the other day - my car looks almost identical in drop, just a little lower. And the rear clearance similarly appears larger on the "i" as well. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

I'm going to Motorcepts to get everything re-torqued properly and check out the control arms. After that, need to swap out the power steering hose - been leaking for a while now.

Originally Posted by Anzafin
V, load some heavy HIFI machinery in the trunk --> problem solved.

- Antti -
Never really been my thing, but I wouldn't mind some better sound... just don't wanna add any more weight
Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks guys!

The suspension is supposed to have settled by now - put on about 500 miles on the car since install (long-dist trip past weekend is about 80% of that). The back still sits noticeably higher than the front though. The crashing over anything but the smallest bumps and potholes on NYC roads is beginning to get to me. Next time around, I'm definitely not trying to achieve two things with one car. I'm getting a dedicated "moddable" and a comfy DD, that'll soak up these roads' "imperfections". But for now, I simply love the new handling limits. The tires I have on right now aren't really that awesome, so once the 19's go on, it will be far out, man. The only bad thing - I'm not gonna be able to drive the friggin' thing on any of the roads in this city I SSSSOOOOO hope they get to fixing those potholes already!!!!!

I've noticed a slight knocking in the front left corner under loads - hope it is something simple, like re-torquing the nuts. Hope John's partner - Leo can find an hour for me this coming Friday to go over it. After that, I'll go back to the alignment shop and make sure it doesn't need to be aligned again.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

The crashing over bumps is what made me take the H&R springs off with the bilstein HD shocks/ struts. Before I put them in, I spoke with a dinan rep. asking about a setup for a 528xi and he alluded that they may be working on something. I told him about thinking about a bilstein/ H&R combo and he laughed and said that both are known for being "hard" in the ride category. He was right. The Bilsteins with stock shocks look like a 4X4, but it handles better and has a liveable ride quality.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Oops, I meant bilstein HD with stock springs looks like a 4 x 4 but handles better and has a livable ride quality.

Quick Reply: Dropped, not slammed