E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Download of POIs to NAV

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I have found many POI downloads available for the Garmin Nuvi I use in my truck. Is it straightforward to find and load similar POIs to the BMW Nav unit?
I didn't see anything in the manual about it, and don't remember anything in the 'neat tricks' thread, though certainly could have missed it. A search here on "POI" didn't turn up anything. Thanks,
Cal
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i automatic, Space Grey, Black Dakota leather, Sport Package and Premium Package, Navigation, IPOD

I have not heard of loading points of interest for the BMW nav. Sounds like a Garmin special feature?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by running2' post='516954' date='Jan 13 2008, 09:23 AM
I have not heard of loading points of interest for the BMW nav. Sounds like a Garmin special feature?

No not just Garmin, TomTom don I wud magine most atermarket devices do.

But, I have not seen same feature for our Navs. Come to think of it how would the POI get into our Nav? Garmin and TomTom have memory card, bluetooth and USB connectivity to achieve this.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Wasn't someone re-authoring the DVD to add new POIs? Either way it's not as simple and downloading but rather, would require making a backup of the DVD and adding information to the file that contains the POI then burning a new DVD with the new information.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='516563' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:09 AM
I have found many POI downloads available for the Garmin Nuvi I use in my truck. Is it straightforward to find and load similar POIs to the BMW Nav unit?
I didn't see anything in the manual about it, and don't remember anything in the 'neat tricks' thread, though certainly could have missed it. A search here on "POI" didn't turn up anything. Thanks,
Cal
In the UK (possibly elsewhere as BMW Assist is available in the US etc.) there is a service you can 'buy' (UK is 120 per annum for BMW Assist) into named ConnectediDrive which is a service within BMW Assist - From the ConnectediDrive Website you can send data to your own car including SMS messages, addresses etc, hence this may fit 'part' of your requirement.

Below is the explanation text from the UK ConnectediDrive Website-:

"
Search and find.
With BMW ConnectediDrive you will have access to addresses for a variety of places of interest.

Your search results can be printed, saved, sent by SMS, transferred into the route planning function and sent to your vehicle.

Hotels
Here you can start your hotel search, by town and price category.

Restaurants
Under this menu item you will find addresses and information on restaurants and other places to eat and drink. You can search specifically according to category or location.

Culture and leisure
Tourist attractions, museums, golf courses and much more - here you will find addresses for culture and leisure

Travel and service
Addresses related to travel. For example multi-storey car parks, petrol stations, airports or railway stations will be found here, as well as services such as hospitals.

Favourites
Your addresses saved from previous searches are available here.
"

Send information to your vehicle and use it directly.

My Info enables you or others to send messages (including a navigation destination and telephone number) to your vehicle. You can then transfer this information directly into the vehicle navigation system and car telephone at the press of a button.

Write My Info
Here you enter the information, e.g. addresses, telephone numbers and short messages to send to the vehicle. Up to five different items of information can be sent to the vehicle.
You can have the system inform you by SMS that a new "My Info" item is available in the vehicle.

My Info Archive
Under this menu item you have access to the last 30 "My Info" items you sent. From here you can send a message again or send answers to messages sent.

SMS via the internet.
The BMW ConnectedDrive SMS service.
With the SMS service you can conveniently write, send and manage text messages on your computer. There is no additional charge for sending and receiving SMS with BMW ConnectedDrive.

Send SMS
This is the menu for creating and sending your SMS messages.

Telephone directory
Here you can save the names and mobile phone numbers of recipients. This enables you to select recipients directly and the recipient, including mobile phone number, is automatically entered. You can also remove numbers which are no longer current.

SMS archive
Under this menu item you have access to the last 20 SMS you sent via BMW ConnectedDrive. From here you can resend an SMS or delete sent SMS from the archive.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Members

you need the latest version of the idrive in NA. I also got the 2007-2 nav disc from a bit torrent site.. do i have the link? no lol.. it sucks cuz my disc got scratched. PM me if u really need the link or so.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW520d SE Touring 140g/km 1995cc. Deep Sea Blue, Beige Linea Cloth, Professional Navigation,BMW Connectedv Drive, Bluetooth Phone, 6 Disc CD. Poplar wood trim. Front seat lumbar support, auto air con, hi-fi loudspeakers, USB audio interface, radial spoke wheels.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='516563' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:09 AM
Cal
There is a piece of software called Pimp-My-Nav which allows you to burn a new DVD and add in POI's such as speed cameras. It works very well from my experience.
This is the site http://pimp-my-nav.com/
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think there's also some good information in the following thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=25889