E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ditched the Dunlop Runflats!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:35 PM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I ask how much you paid - and where you sourced them ?
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
SKK
Senior Members

I have a 530i M Sport model and the ride is a definate dissapointment. Not complete rubbish but should be better in an executive saloon. The car is only a few days old but when my tyres need changing I will definately be thinking about "normal" tyres. Problem is I dont have a spare wheel and without runflats I would need one - can these be retrofitted ? According to my dealer "its not easy"....

By the way, I had a ride in the new 3 series today (a friend just took delivery of one) and although it also had RF's its ride was much better than my E60. Smooth and compliant yet it seemed to handle flawlessly as well. I think the 3 series was designed with the RF's in mind. I wont be trading down to a 3 anytime soon but I cant help but feel that the E60's suspension wasnt designed around RF's and we are just being forced to live with them by BMW's marketing dept.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='197766
By the way, I had a ride in the new 3 series today (a friend just took delivery of one) and although it also had RF's its ride was much better than my E60. Smooth and compliant yet it seemed to handle flawlessly as well. I think the 3 series was designed with the RF's in mind. I wont be trading down to a 3 anytime soon but I cant help but feel that the E60's suspension wasnt designed around RF's and we are just being forced to live with them by BMW's marketing dept.
I'm pretty sure the 3-series will be on Pirelli 'Euforias' - I think this is the main reason for the difference... The 5-series RF options are pretty dreadful.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='197757
May I ask how much you paid - and where you sourced them ?
Well, my local BMW dealer decided they'd price-match the Internet so I got the prices from this website Tyres and they added ?10 per wheel for fitting. However, they couldn't source the 275's at the back so I ordered them online...

Fronts ?176
Rears ?222

That's about ?840 fitted

Originally Posted by donv' post='197678
Well, it's done!
Great decision. Welcome to the PS2 club.
[/quote]
Thanks! And a good club it is too!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:46 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='197788' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3-series will be on Pirelli 'Euforias' - I think this is the main reason for the difference... The 5-series RF options are pretty dreadful.
Not sure what tyres it had but it really was a reamrkable difference.

Arent the Pirelli's available in 5 series tyre sizes coz I want some ?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' post='197673' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:17 AM
The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in.
I paid very close attention when I switched and heard no roar from tires. Indeed, the ride was as quiet as a 7 series. Less road noise was transmitted into cabin and less shock to my back on small ridges or railway tracks. I would suggest a check on tire pressure and mounting to verify rotation direction, particularly if sound changes with turning.
I listen with the windows down and no longer can hear my own tires on the road. I had Potenza RF for 18K miles.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

my 2 cents as I commented below, the runflats felt crappy :thumbsdown: in handling, ride, they felt like I had 21inch rims (i think because their sidealls are too thick)..I agree with someone that say RFTs need some more years for perfection.
When I re-installed the RFTs on my 2004 530 before turning it in, i felt noticiable the difference, the car felt heavier, rough and unrefined. Once I picked up my new car, it felt almost as bad, but a bit more refined but bottom line still crappy. Since I have my toyos, the car feel COMPLETElY different.. smooth , lighter and I have 19's and feels smoother than the original 18s
Old 11-14-2005, 03:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='197796
Not sure what tyres it had but it really was a reamrkable difference.

Arent the Pirelli's available in 5 series tyre sizes coz I want some ?
[/quote]
Not yet... They 'debuted' on the Mini and have made it to the 3-series. Not available in the size I need for sure! :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by sg530' post='197909
The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in.
I paid very close attention when I switched and heard no roar from tires. Indeed, the ride was as quiet as a 7 series. Less road noise was transmitted into cabin and less shock to my back on small ridges or railway tracks. I would suggest a check on tire pressure and mounting to verify rotation direction, particularly if sound changes with turning.
I listen with the windows down and no longer can hear my own tires on the road. I had Potenza RF for 18K miles.
[/quote]
The tyres are all mounted correctly... And like I said the noise is reducing with every mile... I think tyres take about 300 miles to 'bed in'. I'd expect 275-section tyres to produce a little bit of roar

Obviously, the road surface makes a big difference to the noise levels - especially here in the UK!

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='197918' date='Nov 14 2005, 05:42 AM
my 2 cents as I commented below, the runflats felt crappy :thumbsdown: in handling, ride, they felt like I had 21inch rims (i think because their sidealls are too thick)..I agree with someone that say RFTs need some more years for perfection.
When I re-installed the RFTs on my 2004 530 before turning it in, i felt noticiable the difference, the car felt heavier, rough and unrefined. Once I picked up my new car, it felt almost as bad, but a bit more refined but bottom line still crappy. Since I have my toyos, the car feel COMPLETElY different.. smooth , lighter and I have 19's and feels smoother than the original 18s
I would of loved 19's but I'll wait until I change my car and specify the factory option... (Shame it's not PS2's!) The 18's still look a little too small to my eyes!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Taz' post='197700' date='Nov 13 2005, 08:31 PM
My local BMW dealer told me that it was not possible to use non-run-flat tyres as it would invalidate my warranty. Is he right?
Tell your dealer not to talk such utter garbage!

It is shocking how ignorant some of these dealers can be.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='197673' date='Nov 13 2005, 07:17 PM
Well, it's done!

I've heard differing opinions on this but on my 124 alloys (245/40/18 Front, 275/35/18 Rear) the change is very noticable and I'm very happy

That horrible 'thump' over bumps and ridges is gone. The 'skipping' effect is gone. Tramlining is gone. Ride quality is now excellent and I don't seem to notice a lack in steering responsiveness that was predicted. It could be my imagination but acceleration does seem smoother and more rapid.

The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in. They also look awesome now I've applied the Tyre-Slik.

No regrets! I'm just hoping they last a bit longer than the Dunlops did - 15k miles!

Congrats.
The PS2's definitely need a few hundred km's to bed in. I also noticed a hum (or roar)
initially on most surfaces.

Now only some surfaces cause noise. On smooth roads there is almost total silence.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='198139
Well, it's done!

I've heard differing opinions on this but on my 124 alloys (245/40/18 Front, 275/35/18 Rear) the change is very noticable and I'm very happy

That horrible 'thump' over bumps and ridges is gone. The 'skipping' effect is gone. Tramlining is gone. Ride quality is now excellent and I don't seem to notice a lack in steering responsiveness that was predicted. It could be my imagination but acceleration does seem smoother and more rapid.

The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in. They also look awesome now I've applied the Tyre-Slik.

No regrets! I'm just hoping they last a bit longer than the Dunlops did - 15k miles!

Congrats.
The PS2's definitely need a few hundred km's to bed in. I also noticed a hum (or roar)
initially on most surfaces.

Now only some surfaces cause noise. On smooth roads there is almost total silence.
[/quote]
Great, thanks! The grip seems to be improving daily... They seem a fantastic tyre so far!

Quick Reply: Ditched the Dunlop Runflats!