E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ditched the Dunlop Runflats!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's done!

I've heard differing opinions on this but on my 124 alloys (245/40/18 Front, 275/35/18 Rear) the change is very noticable and I'm very happy

That horrible 'thump' over bumps and ridges is gone. The 'skipping' effect is gone. Tramlining is gone. Ride quality is now excellent and I don't seem to notice a lack in steering responsiveness that was predicted. It could be my imagination but acceleration does seem smoother and more rapid.

The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in. They also look awesome now I've applied the Tyre-Slik.

No regrets! I'm just hoping they last a bit longer than the Dunlops did - 15k miles!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='197673' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:17 PM
Well, it's done!

I've heard differing opinions on this but on my 124 alloys (245/40/18 Front, 275/35/18 Rear) the change is very noticable and I'm very happy

That horrible 'thump' over bumps and ridges is gone. The 'skipping' effect is gone. Tramlining is gone. Ride quality is now excellent and I don't seem to notice a lack in steering responsiveness that was predicted. It could be my imagination but acceleration does seem smoother and more rapid.

The initial tyre-roar was louder than I expected but I think its getting quieter as the tyres bed-in. They also look awesome now I've applied the Tyre-Slik.

No regrets! I'm just hoping they last a bit longer than the Dunlops did - 15k miles!
Great decision. Welcome to the PS2 club.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Now that we are on this subject: My GY NCT5 RF are doing just fine..they feel confi and the noise is not that bad at all.
But let's wait and see. I only have about 100miles on them.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

welcome. I went to non-RF's too. I think RF tires is a great idea but needs couple more years to get perfect and de-bugged
Old 11-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Taz
Members

My Ride: I have a 2004 E60. It was registered in January 2004. It's a Black Sapphire 530i SE with a few options: - Auto-dim interior + folding exterior mirrors - Automatic gearbox - Bi-Xenon headlights - Bluetooth - Leather interior (Black-Dakota) - Navigation system - business - Service inclusive - Sport steering wheel - Star spoke 124 8Jx18"/9Jx18" + run flats - Top tint windscreen - BMW 6-CD autochanger - Supagard paint treatment - BMW carpet mats

How do you go about changing from run-flats to normal tyres? What happens to the tyre pressure warning system?

My local BMW dealer told me that it was not possible to use non-run-flat tyres as it would invalidate my warranty. Is he right?

I had Michelin Pilot Sports in my previous car (not a Beemer) and they were awesome.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Members

My dealer in UK says no problem, but you will need a space saver spare or a couple of instant puncture repair tins to get you home just in case
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Taz' post='197700' date='Nov 13 2005, 06:31 PM
How do you go about changing from run-flats to normal tyres? What happens to the tyre pressure warning system?

My local BMW dealer told me that it was not possible to use non-run-flat tyres as it would invalidate my warranty. Is he right?

I had Michelin Pilot Sports in my previous car (not a Beemer) and they were awesome.
The Tyre Pressure system works from the ABS sensors so no problem there...

The warranty isn't affected by the change. Anyway, the 16" and 19" options are non-runflats...
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='197673
Now that we are on this subject: My GY NCT5 RF are doing just fine..they feel confi and the noise is not that bad at all.
But let's wait and see. I only have about 100miles on them.
I have the same tires. The only complaint is the RIIIIDE! Feels like they have cement sidewalls. PS2 will be for sure a must next spring.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='197713
what's tyre-slik?
[/quote]
It's a brand of 'tyre coat' over here in the UK. Gives the tyre a very black, but wet, look

I'm also using the new fad - 'alloy polish'. Works quite well, minimises the brake dust and makes them easier to wash next time...
Old 11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Do they look as wide at the back as the Dunlops?

I ask that because my 275 continentals don't seem to look as wide as my last 275's, could be the fatter looking bumper, or that at the edge they have a slight roundness that reduces the width to the eye. I seem to remember my Dunlops having a square edge that made them look huge.

Quick Reply: Ditched the Dunlop Runflats!