E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan or RPI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I believe in order to achieve the max hp gains from the Dinan products, it has to be accompanied by the Dinan software download.

If money is no issue, just pull the trigger on the Dinan Stage 3 software, intake, exhaust, and throttle body.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
I believe in order to achieve the max hp gains from the Dinan products, it has to be accompanied by the Dinan software download.

If money is no issue, just pull the trigger on the Dinan Stage 3 software, intake, exhaust, and throttle body.
but that can be said about any company, their products, and their highest potential...

it's always recc'd/a good idea to NOT mix and match different products from different companies....
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
it's always recc'd/a good idea to NOT mix and match different products from different companies....
That was my ultimate choice because I liked the clean and subtle look of the overall package (as well as a discount by doing it all at once!), but color me skeptical that swapping in an RPI exhaust for the Dinan would have any sort of negative effect on the benefits from the upstream products. There might be other reasons to keep it all from one Company, like that one liked that particular Company's approach to performance or the look of its products, or to earn points toward a badge..., but (and with no disrespect to RPI intake products) IMO the Dinan intake products are best of breed, and the RPI exhaust is as well.

If you're adding headers and all sorts of other stuff you need to be careful mixing and matching, but for the relatively simple upgrades I don't think it really makes a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by jm545i
That was my ultimate choice because I liked the clean and subtle look of the overall package (as well as a discount by doing it all at once!), but color me skeptical that swapping in an RPI exhaust for the Dinan would have any sort of negative effect on the benefits from the upstream products. There might be other reasons to keep it all from one Company, like that one liked that particular Company's approach to performance or the look of its products, or to earn points toward a badge..., but (and with no disrespect to RPI intake products) IMO the Dinan intake products are best of breed, and the RPI exhaust is as well.

If you're adding headers and all sorts of other stuff you need to be careful mixing and matching, but for the relatively simple upgrades I don't think it really makes a huge difference.
a dinan intake + rpi ehaust, scoops, and ESS/RPI tune I think is a good idea, and is done by a few members here...but when you mix and match bolt-on's...I think that's when you can start to mess with the overall flow, design, and optimal performance....
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
Does rpi make a dual set up for an e60 xi?
They do not however if you want to learn more about making power with a custom quad setup check out this thread:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/985...t-and-fiction/
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

If money isn't an issue do the following mods:

Dinan Intake
RPi M5 Scoops...since Dinan intake has two inlets
RPi Exhaust
ESS Tune

I wouldn't recommend the throttle bodies because I heard the TB's does not gain any hp/tq.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Based on all of the great replies i'm leaning toward the following

Dinan high flow intake system
Dinan high flow throttle body
Rpi scoops
Rpi exhaust

I don't know much about the ESS Tune? Is that similar to the Dinan stage 3 software? ESS tune claims HP gains of 10-15!!!

If I'm doing this right then the gains are as follows
18 for the dinan intake
4 for the dinan throttle
15 for the rpi exhaust
12 for ESS
49-50 hp total
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
but that can be said about any company, their products, and their highest potential...

You misunderstood me. The hp gains stated by Dinan is based on both the part and software and not the part alone.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
You misunderstood me. The hp gains stated by Dinan is based on both the part and software and not the part alone.

ok got it. But the ESS tune claims hp gains with software alone. Dinan stage 3 software does not list hp gains. Is it possible that dinan intake and rpi scoops provide gain on their own and then ESS adds its own punch?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
they dont do dual setups since they dont make power
Dual exhausts will make power on at least the v8 e60. There is a thread around here with details on the matter. You should probably make some effort to do some reading or buck up and hire a professional to take some measurements for you if you want to pretend to be a subject matter expert in the area.

Quick Reply: Dinan or RPI?