E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension GW500 + AVR install in USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished the install today here is how it works. The AVR unit hooks up inline with the dension 500 and your ipod. It also needs dc power and has a whole bunch of cool hook ups like dvd reverse camera av1 av2... Now I was told by anyone who I asked that the avr will not work on north american cars because there is no chance it could be programmed for the TV tuner option. Well this point is true, there is no way to program for tv tuner in us unless someone could tell me how. But the AVR unit has many other functions other then viewing in the nav display. And all functions are still controlled thru the cd changer input not tv tuner input. normally you would start all videos thru the cd changer input then switch to TV input to just view but not control the gw500. One feature I wanted is to show a list of videos that are in my ipod , Then starting the video and have the video routed to back seat tv. It works great. I just skipped hooking the harness to the nav computer but tapped into the 12dc in and slpiced it into the cd changer dc line with the power for the gateway 500. Then used the RSE out into a 1x2 video DA then went to the 2 rear LCD screens. I would think it would work the same on a BMW e90 as well. The only thing that is a bit annoying is you select a video and it start from the last place you were in that movie , Ok nice but lets say I want to start movie from begining. press back on your cd payer controls and the GW500 goes to the last video in the lust not the beginning of the clip you are watching. If you press and hold the cd back button it will scan backwards but it take a while to get to the beginning of a 2hr movie. All in all it has great features , in USA you will not be seeing any video in the Nav and the rear cam hookup is kind of usless but the ipod video and it has a 12v trigger DVD video/audio hook up that works . I tink it was worth the extra $200 for people who have the GW500
Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sricca' post='1012046' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:25 PM
I finished the install today here is how it works. The AVR unit hooks up inline with the dension 500 and your ipod. It also needs dc power and has a whole bunch of cool hook ups like dvd reverse camera av1 av2... Now I was told by anyone who I asked that the avr will not work on north american cars because there is no chance it could be programmed for the TV tuner option. Well this point is true, there is no way to program for tv tuner in us unless someone could tell me how. But the AVR unit has many other functions other then viewing in the nav display. And all functions are still controlled thru the cd changer input not tv tuner input. normally you would start all videos thru the cd changer input then switch to TV input to just view but not control the gw500. One feature I wanted is to show a list of videos that are in my ipod , Then starting the video and have the video routed to back seat tv. It works great. I just skipped hooking the harness to the nav computer but tapped into the 12dc in and slpiced it into the cd changer dc line with the power for the gateway 500. Then used the RSE out into a 1x2 video DA then went to the 2 rear LCD screens. I would think it would work the same on a BMW e90 as well. The only thing that is a bit annoying is you select a video and it start from the last place you were in that movie , Ok nice but lets say I want to start movie from begining. press back on your cd payer controls and the GW500 goes to the last video in the lust not the beginning of the clip you are watching. If you press and hold the cd back button it will scan backwards but it take a while to get to the beginning of a 2hr movie. All in all it has great features , in USA you will not be seeing any video in the Nav and the rear cam hookup is kind of usless but the ipod video and it has a 12v trigger DVD video/audio hook up that works . I tink it was worth the extra $200 for people who have the GW500
Any DYI?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sricca' post='1012046' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:25 AM
Well if you are that desperate then go get a ACM or NAV-TV and then plus the AVR into that to get that on to the front screen as well.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Members

I plan on doing Dension 500 with the AVR and bluetooth and I hope it works or I will be pissed lol
Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Members

Sorry no DIY but i will try to post some pics. Yes I guess you could get the NAV TV unit but that will add a huge expense. I did not really care if the video was displayed in the nav screen. I was just interested in being able to select the video from the idrive for the kids in the back.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Members

So your telling me that the GW500 with AVR unit still cant play videos on the front screen 6.5 with no nav?