E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension and battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by GW500' post='758273' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:07 AM
Both in bypass and in normal mode?
Yes. So?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

So I think the problem is elsewhere.
If the unit is in standby state (LED shows off), the current is not more than 2.5-3mA. That is nothing in practice.
Have you tried with USB connected?

Can you measure the power consumption of the car?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GW500' post='758326' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:08 PM
So I think the problem is elsewhere.
Eh, okay, but with without RCA connector installed and without USB stick inserted the car didn't notice any problem at the battery.
The only difference in comparison to before is that I was in the city and the car in the garage, now I'm on mountains at -10? C outdoor.
I can ask to replace the battery as I have free service.

If the unit is in standby state (LED shows off), the current is not more than 2.5-3mA. That is nothing in practice.
Have you tried with USB connected?
No.
I will check tomorrow but I think it's the same.

Can you measure the power consumption of the car?

How could I do?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='758355' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:17 PM
How could I do?
Better if you have it done at the service.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My main console cd player does not turn off, i can leave a mp3 cd in there and lock my car and it will play through the whole thing overnight, if i come bk after 20 mins it will be about 5/6 songs in to the cd. ive locked my car and sat in it for about 15mins and it kept playing, i told my stealership, they checked it and said its fine theres nothing wrong with it?? theres no sound through speakers or anything, you can just hear the cd spinning in the drive, eventhough all electrics are off.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='763178' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:16 AM
My main console cd player does not turn off, i can leave a mp3 cd in there and lock my car and it will play through the whole thing overnight, if i come bk after 20 mins it will be about 5/6 songs in to the cd. ive locked my car and sat in it for about 15mins and it kept playing, i told my stealership, they checked it and said its fine theres nothing wrong with it?? theres no sound through speakers or anything, you can just hear the cd spinning in the drive, eventhough all electrics are off.

Never noticed it but I don't think to have this problem too.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Battery drain disappeared.
I don't know why and how, but no more messages.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Pay attention to WHERE you get the power from... At the beginning I connected it to a source that isn't the T30U (but something else, I don't know, I did it with a friend) and it completely drained the battery in a few months.

Now I removed the Dension and the drain is disappeared.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 M5 - Interlagos Blue / SMG / Black Perforated Merino / Fully Loaded!!

Hello folks,

I recently installed a GW500 and I'm pretty sure I followed the installation correctly..

The unit has been functioning properly for about 3 weeks... but a few days ago all of the CD options were grayed out (CD1, CD2, CD3, etc..), after a bit of troubleshooting and reseating the connectors I ended up trying a new USB flash drive and that worked like a charm..

The problem I have now is that when I leave the car off for several hours I come back to a battery drain message ???
Realistically, the only thing that has changed is the usb drive... nothing else.

The GW500 is drawing power from the CDC power connector.. I believe the unit used to stay on (led on or flashing) for about 20 seconds and then it would turn off but as of today since I've decided to keep an eye on it.. the led just keeps flashing and so does the light on the usb flash drive.. this happens both in the enabled and bypass mode..

Furthermore, if I bypass the gw500 while listening to other sources (SAT, CD, FM), the audio source intermittently drops for anywhere from 1 second to over a minute at times.. incidentally, this was starting to happen just before the previous usb drive failed on me..

When I installed the gw500 I believe the firmware version I used was 2.16 but I'm not 100% sure because I downloaded and installed it 3 weeks ago but I left no trace of which version I downloaded so I can't be sure... that's just the version that's currently available today... is there a way for me to know which version I have installed?

Finally, if it turns out to be the usb drive then can I ask what everyone else here is using and what is working for them? I don't mind buying new flash drives.. I just don't want this headache anymore.. The usb drive that I used to have was a FLASH VOYAGER, made by CORSAIR and it was their 64GB version.. but since that seemed to have malfunctioned I switched to a pair of 32GB drives that I bought at MICRO CENTER with their brand on them "Micro Center". Ideally I'd like to just use a small hard drive but that didn't work when I tried it at first... but then again, it was a 320GB 2.5 drive
that was drawing power solely from the usb port... has anyone had any luck with actual hard drives?

Okay, sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so everyone sees a clear picture.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

For your hard drive question. I've had a Hitachi 160gb 2.5inch Sata I drive plugged in for a few weeks and haven't gotten that message.

I've heard that some drives draw different power ranges / curents. Some more than others. I got that drive for roughly $40 dollars on newegg.

Quick Reply: Dension and battery