E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension and battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I have a little trouble with my Dension: if I keep the USB stick connected when I leave my car, after 2-3 days it says "The battery is low of charge".
Yesterday battery + active steering disabilited:

Dension and battery-batteria_291208.jpg

When I read those messages I knew was the battery and the Dension, so I drove 20 km, turned off the car, turned on and all was okay, errors disappeared.

My USB stick has a led on it: it flashes all the time and I think it is the responsible of the battery discharging.

Am I the only one with this annayance?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

I just had to replace my battery 2 days ago. Also has transmission fault and steering wheel fault??? I've had the dension installed for about 8 months now, I thought it was just due for a new battery 11/04 build with 75K miles HMMMM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Hmmm... I better watch mine... so far what I can tell when the goes goes sleep my USB led off & my iPod display goes blank but since winter start I put the trickle charger on the car almost every night 'cuz the temp been frigid latelly.

Do you remember if you draw power to the Dension from the CDC power leads? That what I've done supposedly it goes sleep along w/ other stuff in the car but not true if the power from other source like the lighter.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

The Dension unit is looped thru the CDC so the CDC is functional with a switch when going for service, hence the power source is also through the fiber optics. I assumed that my battery was due to be swapped out anyways.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

No the power source are separate, the +/- power & the MOST fiber line just become together in the plug for the CDC for easier handling but the Dension itself has regular red & black cable for power I put that together w/ one of the power lead on the CDC plug so when the the car put the CDC to sleep my Dension will follow.

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='756094' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:17 PM
The Dension unit is looped thru the CDC so the CDC is functional with a switch when going for service, hence the power source is also through the fiber optics. I assumed that my battery was due to be swapped out anyways.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Well, if it was the Dension that caused the battery drain, then WOW, that took 8 months before it killed the battery. So teh Dension is unlikely the cause in my case.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Help guys, I find the guilty:

This fucking RCA, that till 10 days ago I didn't have.

Conclusion: I didn't install RCA and with USB stick battery drain, without USB stick inserted the battery was okay.
Now I have also RCA connectors (I needed it for service) and now this stupid stuff flashes all the time!

I cannot remove it because I want CD Charger and being able to bypass it for dealer service plus I'm tired to turn on the car seeing "High battery drain".

Which is the solution guys?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

How long have you had the Dension unit installed before you noticed the battery drain? Hopefully the guys at Dension can chime in on this.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Alex,

Where have you drawn the power for the Dension from? Have you tapped it into the CDC power? You need to remember that all devices connected to the normal power T30 need to understand the SLEEP command issued by the car. The CDC will go to sleep but the Dension will not. However in normal usage the Dension should not draw power if the car's MOST is down. So it looks like your Dension is keeping the power awake by powering the USB stick all the time. Why is this happening only when you connected the RCA box - I don't know and that is something you need to ask Dension Support. If that doesn't work and you must have the RCA box then your only other option would be to power the Dension from the T30G power sources in the car.
I had a similar problem but with my rear camera but now having switched the power source all is fine.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='757556' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:30 AM
Alex,

Where have you drawn the power for the Dension from? Have you tapped it into the CDC power? You need to remember that all devices connected to the normal power T30 need to understand the SLEEP command issued by the car. The CDC will go to sleep but the Dension will not. However in normal usage the Dension should not draw power if the car's MOST is down. So it looks like your Dension is keeping the power awake by powering the USB stick all the time. Why is this happening only when you connected the RCA box - I don't know and that is something you need to ask Dension Support. If that doesn't work and you must have the RCA box then your only other option would be to power the Dension from the T30G power sources in the car.
I had a similar problem but with my rear camera but now having switched the power source all is fine.

I think from CDC - as you know I didn't install by myself. I think we followed instructions at that time (July and it starts immediately to discharge the battery).

So am I the only one with these leds (USB+RCA) on when the car is turned off?

Quick Reply: Dension and battery