E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension and battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='757571' date='Jan 2 2009, 08:08 AM
I think from CDC - as you know I didn't install by myself. I think we followed instructions at that time (July and it starts immediately to discharge the battery).

So am I the only one with these leds (USB+RCA) on when the car is turned off?
Try two things, disconnect the USB drive and see if you still get the battery discharge, then change to another USB stick and see if the same thing happens.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Happy New Year to BMW owners!

I saw the video you linked, but there's nothing wrong on that.
The switch is currently in bypass position, so the GW is invisible on the MOST ring. Just passes all messages forward without any processing.
The blue flashing light just means that the MOST ring of the car is up. On BMWs it usually goes to sleep ~2 minutes after you closed/locked the car. Could you please check this?

After that turn the switch to normal position, and check the difference with the active Gateway. Is it last longer to go to sleep?

So again:
- GW active - blue LED is on continously
- GW in bypass - blue LED flashes slowly (like on your video)
- GW is booting after reset - LED flashes quickly
- GW is sleeping - LED is off

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='757107' date='Jan 1 2009, 06:26 PM
Help guys, I find the guilty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0cTIbJ-rE

This fucking RCA, that till 10 days ago I didn't have.

Conclusion: I didn't install RCA and with USB stick battery drain, without USB stick inserted the battery was okay.
Now I have also RCA connectors (I needed it for service) and now this stupid stuff flashes all the time!

I cannot remove it because I want CD Charger and being able to bypass it for dealer service plus I'm tired to turn on the car seeing "High battery drain".

Which is the solution guys?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Alex, now you need to ask the question how many people have the Blue LED on the RCA box - because mine does not have the LED on it.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='757598' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:53 AM
Alex, now you need to ask the question how many people have the Blue LED on the RCA box - because mine does not have the LED on it.

Ok Bruce, I turned your previous message to our friend and we understood we didn't get power from T30G but from a different source.
We will reopen and reinstall it in the right place. Plus we have to attach all connectors in the glove box and not in the little net.

Just for curiosity, I have to check what GW500 said, but I'm pretty sure it flashes and it is on continuously even after 2 min.

Thanks members!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='757646' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:36 PM
Ok Bruce, I turned your previous message to our friend and we understood we didn't get power from T30G but from a different source.
We will reopen and reinstall it in the right place. Plus we have to attach all connectors in the glove box and not in the little net.

Just for curiosity, I have to check what GW500 said, but I'm pretty sure it flashes and it is on continuously even after 2 min.

Thanks members!
I'm afraid that is not the best solution. The T30G is a switched power source but the Dension boxes definitely needs NON switched power supply as you can read in the manuals. The panel will go to sleep few seconds after the shut down of the optical ring. The stand-by current is less than 3mA.

When using a switched power, it's not guaranteed that the internal states, song positions, other settings will be saved to EEPROM.

Also, if you "cut" the power when the MOST ring already awaken, then it can cause some errors on the ring, as the MOST transmitter cannot work also.

I suggest, try first what I said, it only takes 5 minutes! Then we can think it through again.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GW500' post='757811' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm afraid that is not the best solution. The T30G is a switched power source but the Dension boxes definitely needs NON switched power supply as you can read in the manuals. The panel will go to sleep few seconds after the shut down of the optical ring. The stand-by current is less than 3mA.

When using a switched power, it's not guaranteed that the internal states, song positions, other settings will be saved to EEPROM.

Also, if you "cut" the power when the MOST ring already awaken, then it can cause some errors on the ring, as the MOST transmitter cannot work also.

I suggest, try first what I said, it only takes 5 minutes! Then we can think it through again.

GW, we are here discussing about the battery drain, so for sure it flashes all the time and it remains turned on.
Should I do a poll, asking where members connected the device?
What do instructions by Dension suggest?

Edit: for example: Bruce, where did you connect it? T30G? Does it work properly? No problem in this way?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

I had the Dension Unit installed by a pro and he followed the directions provided by Dension. I do have a blue LED and it's on solid just when unlock the doors and checked.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='758014' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:47 AM
I do have a blue LED and it's on solid just when unlock the doors and checked.

Maybe unlocking doors something turns on...
I think to be able to see the led from outside the car without opening it. In some hours I will check.

My battery is new (June) and from July (Dension installation) everytime I turn the car on I found that message. Except without RCA connectors connected and without USB.
A new reply in some hours, since I cannot edit the message.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='758219' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:37 AM
Maybe unlocking doors something turns on...
I think to be able to see the led from outside the car without opening it. In some hours I will check.

My battery is new (June) and from July (Dension installation) everytime I turn the car on I found that message. Except without RCA connectors connected and without USB.
A new reply in some hours, since I cannot edit the message.
Update: led off after 2 min. So what does drain the battery? -10 C temperature?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='758261' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:49 AM
Update: led off after 2 min. So what does drain the battery? -10 C temperature?
Both in bypass and in normal mode?

Quick Reply: Dension and battery