E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension AVR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, I have asked on several forums if TV is possible on MASK and the answer seems to be not possible.
Does the AVR have a power cable attached to that harness for the back of the head unit like the multimedia adapter? Or its powered from the Dension 500?

Sorry for all the questions but I have already fitted the multimedia adapter and put the car back together so I'm trying to find out how much extra work is needed for the AVR install.
If the AVR needs only be connected to the Dension and to the video in on the multimedia adapter should be a quick job.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's powered from the dension gateway.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

Thanks that's good to hear
Not having rear seat screens and just my iPhone connected to the multimedia interface, doesn't make sense to install the AVR just yet.
Might do it after I install a DVD/DVB-T player in the future.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi hatemax & sd_dracula,

I'm very interested in the system described above and trying to understand how its all put together. I'm new to this so apologies if I am asking stupid questions!

Do you have diagram which explains how the various multimedia interface, gateway 500 and AVR connections are joined up.
As the AVR and multimedia interface have a similar purpose why do you need both in the installation?
Also do you connect the iPhone to the multimedia interface or the gateway 500 via the AVR?

Also is your multimedia kit xcarlink or the modmynav solution?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Well to be honest theres no point getting AVR since the multimedia interface does just that.
AVR is for cars with the 8.8" Pro nav so the multimedia adapter is not needed then because you can code the car for TV (so that the AVR can function, you can't code TV on 6.5")
If you got 6.5" MASK just get multimedia adapter + dension.
The modmynav one seems to have extra things such as reverse sensors overlayed on top of a reverse camera feed for example (xcarlink one does not).
But I've heard modmynav has crap customer service, xcarlink guys were really helpful, I was getting high battery drainage on the dash and they helped me fix it
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks sd_dracula,

Newbee here and need to update my profile. I have a 09 520d (business edition) which has CDC, bluetooth, business edition navigation, and the smaller screen. Trying to figure out exact spec as it has the newer IDrive controller with additional buttons.

First BMW and very impressed so far. A little disappointed with the sound system but that's for another discussion!

Do you have a schematic of how multimedia adapter and dension would be connected to allow Iphone4 videos to be displayed on the screen and get full features from the gateway 500 with IDrive. Is Iphone lead connected directly to the xcarlink and the dension detects it on the bus? Also how about Audio?

Also is the xcarlink fully plug and play as I get conflicting messages on the web?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LostInWH
Thanks sd_dracula,

Newbee here and need to update my profile. I have a 09 520d (business edition) which has CDC, bluetooth, business edition navigation, and the smaller screen. Trying to figure out exact spec as it has the newer IDrive controller with additional buttons.

First BMW and very impressed so far. A little disappointed with the sound system but that's for another discussion!

Do you have a schematic of how multimedia adapter and dension would be connected to allow Iphone4 videos to be displayed on the screen and get full features from the gateway 500 with IDrive. Is Iphone lead connected directly to the xcarlink and the dension detects it on the bus? Also how about Audio?

Also is the xcarlink fully plug and play as I get conflicting messages on the web?
I agree with the sound thing, it does suck and its almost impossible to upgrade without spending a few thousand to get the logic7 in, not worth it imo.
Basically what you need is the dension 500, the multimedia adapter (make sure you get the post 08 or 09 one, its different connection than pre-Lci I believe) and you need an iphone composite cable.
The video (yellow cable) will go to the multimedia adapter and the sound (white + red cables) will go to either dension aux in or to your own aux in port, the usb cable from the composite cable I have going to the dension USB port to charge my iphone.
Everything is plug and play except for the power being supplied to the dension, you need to tap into the cd changer power cable, located in the glovebox along with the fibre cable which also connects to the dension.
Then the multimedia adapter connects to a harness on one end, the other end goes to the head unit and one cable going to the monitor (I believe this cable is different than pre-LCI thats why there are 2 adapter versions).
Sounds like a lot of work when you get down to it, its pretty straight forward.
Disconnect battery before you touch any cables though/.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LostInWH
Hi hatemax & sd_dracula,

I'm very interested in the system described above and trying to understand how its all put together. I'm new to this so apologies if I am asking stupid questions!

Do you have diagram which explains how the various multimedia interface, gateway 500 and AVR connections are joined up.
As the AVR and multimedia interface have a similar purpose why do you need both in the installation?
Also do you connect the iPhone to the multimedia interface or the gateway 500 via the AVR?

Also is your multimedia kit xcarlink or the modmynav solution?
Actually, the AVR + multimedia option will give you good quality sound from video source and control thru idrive. Also, you can play movies from iPod/iPhone with full control by idrive and it will able you to divert the video to front and rear monitors if you have them!

Moreover, you can project iphone into car screen and use iphone applications such as navigation softwares in car screen!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

Well the multimedia adapter already lets you put your iphone screen on the idrive monitor (its what I'm doing since the car didnt have nav) and you can connect rear screens to it also.
The only extra thing you get with the AVR is ability to scroll videos on Idrive. Not worth it unless you can just get the AVR on its own if you have proff nav.

Quick Reply: Dension AVR