E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dealership says lowering car voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by donv' post='193266
It kind of scares you........TO MOD OR NOT TO MOD...........
I think modding is scarey. That's why I will mod only if my Dinan-certified BMW dealer does the installation. And, with the exception of exhaust and wheels (and I'd use only BMW-specified wheel sizes), I will mod only if the part is Dinan's. If a part is Dinan's, then I think I have an excellent chance of getting any problem that arises fixed under someone's warranty--either BMW's or Dinan's. And, the point of having the dealer install, for example, a B&B exhaust is that (a) you can ask up front if it is likely that the exhaust will cause a problem and (b) you can request that the installer not continue the installation without discussion with you in the event that the possibility of a future problem becomes apparent during the installation. (a) and (b) do not in anyway ensure that if an after-market part causes a problem, then the dealer will cover it under warranty. But, at least you have some talking points. Whether the dealer goes along with you probably is a function of your realationship with the dealership. I always make sure my dealer relationships are extremely good.
[/quote]

Well any smart dealer will say anyhting you do even Dinan will say it will effect the car jsut to cover their own ass.. Im sure they are not gonna tell its safe if your gonna use that against them.. however if they are giving you their honest opinion then thats different but an opinion will not hold up in court
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Well any smart dealer will say anyhting you do even Dinan will say it will effect the car jsut to cover their own ass.. Im sure they are not gonna tell its safe if your gonna use that against them.. however if they are giving you their honest opinion then thats different but an opinion will not hold up in court
I am not sure what you are saying, but I don't think it contradicts anything I said above. My main point is that if a Dinan part is installed by my Dinan Certified BWM dealer, then someone is obligated legally to cover any non-user-error problem that arises on my car. Whether one has to go to court to make them do so is another issue. I simply do the best I can to ensure that I am covered, and I think my strategy is the best modding strategy. If my strategy was guaranteed to be perfect, then I would have had no reason to agree that modding is scarey. Again, I am puzzled by your post. Please look back at what I said, read carefully, and then clarify where you think our differences lie.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins

Well guys to sermizise my situation called my dealership again and they are going to install my h&r coilovers for me for 600 dollars including the alignment . They told me it would not effect my warrenty in any way unless say something broke off the coilover and damaged something else, but then i will use my insurance company for that i guess. Further more i dont think that lowering the e60 is tacky as one board member said, i am lowering my non sport to the sport suspension height and handleing characteristics without the active steering option which is what i wanted from the begining, but was not offered that woption when the car was purchased. My take is if the dealer is going to install the kit then how could it void a warrenty that they would have to ohner?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by buddiec' post='193341' date='Nov 4 2005, 06:37 AM
Well guys to sermizise my situation called my dealership again and they are going to install my h&r coilovers for me for 600 dollars including the alignment . They told me it would not effect my warrenty in any way unless say something broke off the coilover and damaged something else, but then i will use my insurance company for that i guess. Further more i dont think that lowering the e60 is tacky as one board member said, i am lowering my non sport to the sport suspension height and handleing characteristics without the active steering option which is what i wanted from the begining, but was not offered that woption when the car was purchased. My take is if the dealer is going to install the kit then how could it void a warrenty that they would have to ohner?
You are doing what I do. The only problem with what you say is that the dealer's claim, in effect, that your won't have a warranty problem is not binding contractually. But, as said above, gettting them to make the statement gives you some talking points. If you want to move towards something binding, then get a signed notarized statement in writing--being sure that the person doing the signing has the authority to sign for/bind the dealer. Then, you still could end up in court. There is no absolutely safe way out of the mod/warranty problem. Also, your insurance will not cover an auto part "broken" by another auto part.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins

Originally Posted by donv' post='193381
You are doing what I do. The only problem with what you say is that the dealer's claim, in effect, that your won't have a warranty problem is not binding contractually. But, as said above, gettting them to make the statement gives you some talking points. If you want to move towards something binding, then get a signed notarized statement in writing--being sure that the person doing the signing has the authority to sign for/bind the dealer. Then, you still could end up in court. There is no absolutely safe way out of the mod/warranty problem. Also, your insurance will not cover an auto part "broken" by another auto part.
[/quote]

Yeah i know but i would find the biggest pot hole and blame it on that then maybe they may pay or maybe the county already have one in mind that no one will fix and alot of people have called about it. And the person that i got my info from is the Manager of the service dept. not just my advisor, but something in writing is also a great idea if they will go for that or compromise.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Darnit got switched to my alias again that was me guys
Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

After pondering this thread for a couple of weeks I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. A possible alternative to modding with aftermarket pieces would be to fit M suspension items. Don't know if this is actually possible...but from my Corvette autocrossing days, you could buy OEM Z51 swaybars and springs from a wrecking yard to make your originally standard suspension car handle much better.

The question I guess would be, Will M suspension parts fit on non M cars and is the effect any benefit. If they do fit, I think this should be seriously considered by anyone thinking of modifying their rides.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by buddiec' post='193341' date='Nov 4 2005, 06:37 AM

Quick question here, do you have an xi? From the picture it seems like it. Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for lowering solution for mine also, and if the H&R coilovers fit the xi, I might go the same route you took.