E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dealership says lowering car voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005 | 09:55 AM
Members

My Ride: NEW: 2008 535xit, VIP Modular Wheels, KW V3, Prior Design Bodykit, Rotora 12 piston brakes. Custom paint by Platinum VIP. and more to come. OLD: 2004 Jet Black 530i, 20" Iforged Sprints, Rear reflectors, Xenon interior, H&R Springs, Premium Package, Xenon Adaptive headlights

Hey does anyone have any coments on this. I brought my car to the dealership again for the brake sensor rubbing the brake rotor and a regional engineer is suppose to go look at it. Now they called and says that they cannnot do anything about the brake sensor rubbing the rotor and says that my warranty is voided due to the fact it is lowered. Please somebody help!!
Old 11-02-2005 | 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ttran076' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey does anyone have any coments on this.? I brought my car to the dealership again for the brake sensor rubbing the brake rotor and a regional engineer is suppose to go look at it.? Now they called and says that they cannnot do anything about the brake sensor rubbing the rotor and says that my warranty is voided due to the fact it is lowered.? Please somebody help!!
[snapback]192548[/snapback]
Your warranty is not voided, but if the after-market part/modification caused the problem, then they have no obligation to correct the problem. Check here for more info.
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by ttran076' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey does anyone have any coments on this.? I brought my car to the dealership again for the brake sensor rubbing the brake rotor and a regional engineer is suppose to go look at it.? Now they called and says that they cannnot do anything about the brake sensor rubbing the rotor and says that my warranty is voided due to the fact it is lowered.? Please somebody help!!
OMG you're scaring me! I don't wish my warranty to be voided..... AHH!!
Old 11-02-2005 | 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

In OC...who is the dealer...Irvine, Crevier, Sterling??
Old 11-02-2005 | 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ttran076' date='Nov 2 2005, 10:55 AM
First of all, ttran welcome to the forum.

Second, as to your warrant/brake sensor issue. I would suggest you read this, which explains how the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act works.

Basically, the dealership cannot avoid a warranty claim simply because you have modded out your car, unless the specific modification directly causes the problem you are complaining about.

Specifically ...

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim ? or it proffers a questionable explanation ? it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2005 | 05:19 PM
Contributors

Your warranty should be voided. If you modify the car with non BMW approved items, the warranty should be voided. They only have to claim that your problem is caused by the non BMW approved mods.

BMW does not have to cover warranty for problems caused by other components, if some folks are cheap and in order to save a few bucks use third party components that cause a problem, why should the manufacturer have to pay?

Would you pay for it if you were the manufacturer?
Old 11-02-2005 | 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Nov 2 2005, 09:19 PM
Your warranty should be voided. If you modify the car with non BMW approved items, the warranty should be voided.? They only have to claim that your problem is caused by the non BMW approved mods.

BMW does not have to cover warranty for problems caused by other components, if some folks are cheap and in order to save a few bucks use third party components that cause a problem, why should the manufacturer have to pay?

[snapback]192731[/snapback]
His warranty is not voided. Please read my post and ipse d's post. And, the parts do not necessarily have to be inferior for a warranty claim to be avoided by BMW.
Old 11-02-2005 | 07:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Nov 2 2005, 08:19 PM
Your warranty should be voided. If you modify the car with non BMW approved items, the warranty should be voided.? They only have to claim that your problem is caused by the non BMW approved mods.

Wow Caper harsh words,i understand where you are comeing from from a cost perception for the company, but there is no way that i know of that lowering the car whould cause the brake sensor to activate, especaily since they had a customer compalining recall or TSB on this particular problem.

I also just yesterday recieved my coilovers H&R and called my service manager and asked about the VOIDED WARRENTY SYNDROM and he assured me that it would not void the warrenty, and that they would even install them for me setting up an appointment for next week if the price is resonable 2 1/2 hr labor aside he said and that kinda equate to about a grand give or take trying to get one of the mechanics to hook a brother up if ya know what i mean
Old 11-02-2005 | 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Nov 2 2005, 06:19 PM

Nothing you said is wrong, Casper.

But in the original poster's message his problem is with his brakes (and sensors). This has nothing to do with him lowering the car -- which is a suspension issue.

Unless BMW can prove that the suspension system is causing the brake sensor to malfunction -- unlikely to nearly impossible -- BMW cannot disclaim his warranty request.
Old 11-02-2005 | 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Nov 3 2005, 03:19 AM

Are you a dealer?????????????????? come on come clean or perhaps your a daddy giving out all that advice

Quick Reply: Dealership says lowering car voids warranty