E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Daytime Running Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I replaced the DRLs on my car today with PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs (H7), which are 4,000K (a very close match with the 4,200K xenons), and are much brighter than the OEM bulbs (PIAA claims an output of 110W from the 55W bulbs). I don't have the DRLs activated on my car, so these bulbs are only used for flash-to-pass, which I--unfortunately--find I need to use all too often with little old ladies (and men ) who insist on driving 55 MPH in the left lane , and the added brightness of these bulbs compared to the OEMs will definately get their attention.

I got the bulbs at Vic Hubbards--good price, and no shipping charges or sales tax. They're a short drive over the San Mateo bridge from my house, so I just drove there. For those in the bay area, it's a great auto parts store, a 35,000 sq ft facility in Hayward, that will bring out the inner gear head in you!

http://vichubbard.com/shop/product.php?pro...82&cat=0&page=1

I'll appologize in advance for the photo quality (the rain storm was looming...) but these pix show how the PIAA bulb (driver's side) is brighter and whiter than the OEM (passenger's side).
Daytime Running Light Replacement-img_1577_1.jpg
Daytime Running Light Replacement-img_1580_1.jpg
Old 12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Looks cool Stream. So I guess when you use the flash-to-pass function, the bulb shines brighter (and whiter with your PIAAs) than when they're used as DRLs?

You'll probably remember that I had my DRLs activated and installed some Silverstar bulbs but they just looked yellow, not white at all. We had agreed that it was due to a lower power source for the DRLs. I had no clue that those inner lights were also use for flash-to-pass. When I trigger that from the inside, I assumed it was the main light (low/high beam) that comes on.

Now that I've seen what you've done, makes me want to look for some 6000K H7 bulbs to match my 6000K xenons. Actually, maybe not. I put 6000K PIAA bulbs for my fog lights and they're nowhere close to the same shade as my xenons.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217461' date='Dec 30 2005, 06:37 PM
Looks cool Stream. So I guess when you use the flash-to-pass function, the bulb shines brighter (and whiter with your PIAAs) than when they're used as DRLs?

You'll probably remember that I had my DRLs activated and installed some Silverstar bulbs but they just looked yellow, not white at all. We had agreed that it was due to a lower power source for the DRLs. I had no clue that those inner lights were also use for flash-to-pass. When I trigger that from the inside, I assumed it was the main light (low/high beam) that comes on.

Now that I've seen what you've done, makes me want to look for some 6000K H7 bulbs to match my 6000K xenons. Actually, maybe not. I put 6000K PIAA bulbs for my fog lights and they're nowhere close to the same shade as my xenons.
I don't know how they'd look if activated as DRLs (I, too, remember reading that the DRLs operate at half power). Actually that's one reason I went with the PIAAs. I've used PIAA bulbs on my cars for years and never had a problem, plus they claim to get 110W from a 55W bulb, so I figured if the flash-to-pass function was at reduced power, at least I'd get a brighter light with the PIAAs.

With xenons, when you flash-to-pass, the interior bulbs illuminate because the xenon bulbs would take too long to heat up to operating temp to be useful if the headlights weren't already on.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Learn something new everyday.

I might try it even if I can't find something that matches my xenons. My DRLs aren't in use anymore anyways cause they were accidentally deactivated when the dealer did my aux input and had to reprogram my car. I didn't bother getting them turned back on.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Stream, I'd be surprised if those little old ladies...and men actually knew "flash-to-pass". I know it's honored more in Europe but here it doesn't seem so. Lead the way!!!

BTW, the lights look great