E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DASH CAM: Finally got one & have a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DASH CAM: Finally got one & have a question

A while back I was looking into dash cams to use with the car. I've always like the GoPro cameras but they really don't cut the muster for use as a dash cam. The newest version apparently will have looping (overwriting older video) capabilities but not much else of use. With that said there's been discussions of one of the BlackVue dash cams on here, but not sure if anyone has actually picked it up. After a bit of research I ended up getting the ITRONICS ITB-100HD dash cam. I must say it's great in terms of video quality and ease of setup/use.

I decided on it after reading the reviews and forums on DashCamTalk:

Itronics ITB-100HD | Dash Cam Talk

It appears to really be one of the market leaders right now and the price point isn't too bad (<$200). I've been using it a few weeks now and really like it. The only issue I have and what I want help with at this point is how it gets power. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. This presents two issues:

1) The power cable either has to hang down (ugly & not discrete) or you have to try and run it all along your car to make it a bit more out of the way -- which is also quite ugly/not preferred (by me anyway).

2) The cigarette lighter only work with the car powered on -- not as huge of an issue but if you want to use the always on/shock sensor while parked option.. you cannot (at least without some kind of weird add-on battery type setup).

Right now .. to me #1 is the most important. I have my dash cam mounted right on the piece that connects to the rear view mirror. I am wondering if anyone knows if it'd be possible to potentially tap into power inside the box there. Has anyone looked into this or done it before? I'm not even sure if it'd have enough juice to power the camera but wanted to see if I could bug you guys for input and a little help. It'd be awesome to be able to tap into power right there.. so much cleaner and a better setup.

If you have any questions about the cam -- feel free to ask me here too or PM me.