E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Converting SMG shift levers to M5 -/+ DONE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Apr 10 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi All

Kigerka and I are now pleased to say that my mod for people with SMG transmission who want to replace the push/pull levers with original E60 M5 -/+ levers with working backlit LEDs is now done and fully tested and WORKS!

Thanks to Kigerka's generosity in letting me get my grubby hands on his prized car, we were able to fit a prototype wiring loom and levers to his SMG wheel 8 days ago in Frankfurt.? We spent a few hours going through several times of connecting up and disconnecting due to a couple of teething problems with wiring diagrams pulled off from the BMW WDS.? In the end, we managed to ascertain which schematic was the 'most correct' - even though it had a totally different colour code for the wires in the steering wheel!!!

I went over to Kigerka's place in Orenhofen yesterday (2nd visit) to finalise the mod and after a great lunch with his fantastic family, this is the result:

Image of inside steering wheel with conversion wiring loom in place, less airbag:
Attachment 6550

Finished steering wheel mod with key at Term 15 (2nd pos):
Attachment 6551

Dashboard pic showing SMG gear knob in lower right corner:
Attachment 6552

The backlit LEDs are linked into the steering wheel backlighting, so if you adjust the brightness of the dashboard lighting, the LEDs will follow suit.

The next mod for Kigerka's car will be the retrofitting of the lighted M5 gear knob which should be available in the beginning of May - the parts are on backorder.

That's all for now, folks... I hope to start producing this particular conversion wiring loom in May.

All the Best

Hobi

PS...? CRRobert: I'll PM you later this week about your car!
[snapback]113902[/snapback]

Great Hobi, Eagerly awaiting your PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributors

You will love it. The feel is different. Tha back padding of the paddles is a much better feel then the original ones. Its is easy to do yourself, and you will not regret it.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Apr 11 2005, 03:07 PM
Hobi, if we get a heated SMG steering wheel rim... Will it work on mine?
[snapback]114114[/snapback]

Hi Iceman

I'm in the US at the moment on a business trip. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you..

On your car, we would need to get a heated SMG wheel MINUS the push/pull levers. The part number will be:

Perhaps you can find out from your dealer how much the part will be??? I've got a pair of M5 levers for you already. I don't think you should get the wheel yet though...

Unfortunately, the timing of my trip over here is not exactly ideal because I was hoping to take a look at a part that I received from BMW that could give me a clue as to how to do the mod on your car, ie. Steptronic AND heated wheel. Thing is, I won't get a chance to do this until I get back which will be around the 23rd.

As you've seen, the conversion on Kigerka's car is quite superb and once we got the siring diagram discrepancies sorted out, quite easy! And also, I reckon it would take no more than 30 minutes to retrofit the mod.

As soon as get back, I'll be making a hundred or so looms for the retrofit mod like Kigerka's - what I call "SMG Mod Option 2."

When I get back to middle Europe (around beginning of May), we should meet up again - you'll have to stop trucking for a while!!! BTW, are you going to the NL meet on the 15th???

All the Best

Hobi

Hope the flat moving is/was fine...
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Thanks, Hobi.
No problem.
Looking forward to meet again, this time WITH my car, not the truck. Don't know if I'll be at the NL meet, probably not. The day before is a Football game, and we allways go to the night club after it... We'll see...
The moving will be in January/February. We have just signed the contracts and the house is currently a construction site.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hey Hobi, where in the good old US of A are you visiting?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey Hobi! I would like this mod too if its not too complicated and costly! My car's just like Kigerka's its a SMG already! so it should be easy.

Hey CRRobert. are you getting it done? when and where and how? let me know I'm most interested!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Apr 17 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey Hobi! I would like this mod too if its not too complicated and costly! My car's just like Kigerka's its a SMG already! so it should be easy.

Hey CRRobert. are you getting it done? when and where and how? let me know I'm most interested!
[snapback]116515[/snapback]
Just waiting for Hobi to let me know when he has the stuff ready. Hope to get it shipped soon, could include yours, and then install myself or do them together. It would just need to get here before May 12th, after that will have to ship to Colorado since I am taking the car back then.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Apr 17 2005, 08:06 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Apr 17 2005, 05:35 PM']Hey Hobi! I would like this mod too if its not too complicated and costly! My car's just like Kigerka's its a SMG already! so it should be easy.

Just waiting for Hobi to let me know when he has the stuff ready. Hope to get it shipped soon, could include yours, and then install myself or do them together. It would just need to get here before May 12th, after that will have to ship to Colorado since I am taking the car back then.
[snapback]116555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Who?? what what what? how much are the "stuff" first...

and install myself??? that kinda scares me... you know how?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Apr 17 2005, 10:27 PM
[quote name='CRRobert' date='Apr 17 2005, 08:06 PM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Apr 17 2005, 05:35 PM']Hey Hobi! I would like this mod too if its not too complicated and costly! My car's just like Kigerka's its a SMG already! so it should be easy.

[snapback]116555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Who?? what what what? how much are the "stuff" first...

and install myself??? that kinda scares me... you know how?
[snapback]116577[/snapback]
[/quote]

We can test out the install on your car first. Hopefully Hobi will chime in soon, I think that he is traveling though.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributors

It is very simple. Providing your SMG cars have the same wiring as mine you can have this installed in less then a half hour. Taking proper safety precations you will only have to reset Active Steering, moon roof and maybe a airbag reset. The airbag will have to be done by the dealers. Hobi makes it very simple for you. It is all plug and play. We used and abused my car to make sure everyone else would be as easy as possible.
If you have any questions feel free to pm or e-mail me. I don't know all the technical info that Hobi does but I can answer your questions at a customer stand point, and I must say the customer satisfaction is A+!

Quick Reply: Converting SMG shift levers to M5 -/+ DONE