E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Comments before I add mudflaps...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:47 PM
But I feel that mudflaps make the E60 less sporty.
[snapback]12040[/snapback]
I actually think the opposite. To me it makes the car seem evern lower to the ground (because the flaps are), especially with the sport package.

With my previous Audi, they would scrape twice while taking my favorite off-ramp at speed. If they didn't scrape I knew I wasn't going fast enough. I'll admit, those did look Dumbo ears. Even though they were factory equipment they were quite large. The BMW factory ones are not too big but they do the trick.

You can find a photo of them in my Gallery. Car is Alpine White - will be the biggest contrast.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

I've got to agree that I think the mudflaps make the E60 look more sporty, especially on a black car. I don't think they would be visually distracting except for maybe on a white or light color car. They look great on the cars everyone has posted! I notice a lot of road debris sprayed up on my rear panels, and I'm sure the mudflaps would really help to correct this. I also doubt you'd have to go to a BMW dealer to have this done. Any competent mechanic can do it. Go for it!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Put rear flaps on myself in a couple of hours without removing wheels. Used tools that allowed work in cramped space between tire and fender well. Most holes pre-align with screw holes in fender well. Double sided tape was also used. Fender well is black on all BMW cars, so mud flaps blend in nicely with all body colors. Otherwise, BMW would have made them in different colors.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I saw CWOArmy his car yesterday and he has the mudflaps on them (just installed them). The look wasn't disturbing and since the flaps aren't that big you barely notice them. What I did wonder is if you have 275 width rear tires I believe the rear mudflaps will be to small to fit the whole width of the tire. The 245 tires were barely covered by them.

Don't know if you should color them in the same colour of the car. I think you will notice them more than when they are the normal black colour.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

The flaps cover the 275 effectively, if not totally. You are right in that the entire tread is not covered. However the outside is covered where the paint needs protection from road spray and road debris. The area that is not covered allows spray to contact the undersided of the car where there is no clear coat paint.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 10 2004, 05:41 AM
The flaps cover the 275 effectively, if not totally. You are right in that the entire tread is not covered. However the outside is covered where the paint needs protection from road spray and road debris. The area that is not covered allows spray to contact the undersided of the car where there is no clear coat paint.
[snapback]43154[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply JDN.. That's what I figured out looking at CWOarmy his car.

So it works for the paint and that's the reason that it is there in first place.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

I always go by the addage "you can pay me now or pay me later". I put them on because in the states most roads I travel are tar. Try driving down one that just had tar and rocks put down. You'll eat the wheel wells up. I don't think it detracts but we all have our quirks about what we do and don't like on our cars. I just don't to do the touch up paint routine. My next mod will be a clear bra.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributors

cwoarmy.. see my sig isn't 560NL but 530E60NL
Old 10-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 10 2004, 02:11 PM
cwoarmy.. see my sig isn't 560NL but 530E60NL? ? ? ?
[snapback]43159[/snapback]
That was pretty funny!
Old 10-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

I knew there was a 60 in there someplace.

Quick Reply: Comments before I add mudflaps...